Complete Switch to *NIX and Linux: May 17, 2015

So in other words if we round off to 0.90%, that means 9/10 Linux users have steam installed, given Linux has a 1% marketshare. 

Right? Is my math correct on this? 

Edit: Holy crap!!! 6,200 thread views.  :o

Your math is 100% correct just like apple + orange = mango.

Seriously...how do you even come to that conclusion?!

I had questions about using Linux as my primary OS at home, but after reading this entire thread I'm afraid to ask them now lol. This one is about gaming now, and one in the networking/security forum turned into a credit card swiping discussion......

On topic - I won't be going Linux only, but I've been dual booting win8.1 and Opensuse for a few days, and am really liking Opensuse right now...

I love elementary OS, But windows is the best platform for a Designer/Gamer.

Steam is on Linux, but not all games work on it.

Blender is OpenSource Thats Cool,

Adobe is not,

I can live with variants of Microsoft Office,

everything else is web and multimedia

The apps are more important than the OS itself, Everything on osx got a price, everything on linux is free, and PC got both options.

I feel in control of the os in linux, it does get really stable after setting it up, but in the end having to simulate apps its kind of a hassle that kills the experience for me.

• Like 1

I had questions about using Linux as my primary OS at home, but after reading this entire thread I'm afraid to ask them now lol. This one is about gaming now, and one in the networking/security forum turned into a credit card swiping discussion......

On topic - I won't be going Linux only, but I've been dual booting win8.1 and Opensuse for a few days, and am really liking Opensuse right now...

Although I'm sure f0rk_b0mb would agree that the thread went off-topic, he is excited about the thread views and the off-topic: games discussion can be linked to 1/3rd of his OP.

You shouldn't hesitate to ask your question. If people go all crazy, you can simply not answer... beauty of the interne / forums, you don't HAVE to respond.

I consider myself a very advanced Linux user, and it took me almost 10 years to comfortably switch to Linux exclusively. Take your time, because there's no sense in making your life harder.

Although I'm sure f0rk_b0mb would agree that the thread went off-topic, he is excited about the thread views and the off-topic: games discussion can be linked to 1/3rd of his OP.

You shouldn't hesitate to ask your question. If people go all crazy, you can simply not answer... beauty of the interne / forums, you don't HAVE to respond.

I consider myself a very advanced Linux user, and it took me almost 10 years to comfortably switch to Linux exclusively. Take your time, because there's no sense in making your life harder.

Solid advice right there :)

You should not be afraid to ask. I have no problem helping you with your issue (if I know the solution) and I'm sure others will help too.

If you want to shoehorn something in to something else, that's up to you. That doesn't mean I or others will not help you with your questions. Just don't make baseless claims like Linux is superior to windows for gaming (or as a primary OS at home).

You should not be afraid to ask. I have no problem helping you with your issue (if I know the solution) and I'm sure others will help too.

If you want to shoehorn something in to something else, that's up to you. That doesn't mean I or others will not help you with your questions. Just don't make baseless claims like Linux is superior to windows for gaming (or as a primary OS at home).

I use to be a Unix fanboy back in the day.

There is some hatred towards Microsoft in the Linux camp and many who have not used it in 15 years think Windows is like WindowsME and crashes every 15 minutes and the world is held hostage by THIS HORRIBLE OS BEGGING TO BE FREE or some nonsense.

Fact of the matter is Linux has fallen behind while Windows keeps leapfrogging year after year. Right now there is no way I will ever consider Linux ready. It is beta quality garbage 16 years ago and I am still waiting for it to just work.

Please do not blame evil software companies for not releasing their trade secrets and specs? Windows and MacOSX work just fine closed source because they have an ABI. Because of ideology from those who want only free software Linux won't do this as you need to recompile. Since this won't happen we have bugs and drivers that do not work.

We have a GUI that is never finished and terrible. We have a system that always breaks after an update or two due to no ABI again.

Unix as in FreeBSD and Solaris does not have this problem. I just find it no one can ever challenge this viewpoint except on Neowin which is a MS oriented site. 

But yes Linux is not ready or even close to superior to Windows unless you talk to those who have not run WIndows since ME and have done 10 years worth of re-installing every other update stuff that breaks and doing workarounds like Wine.

I use to be a Unix fanboy back in the day.

There is some hatred towards Microsoft in the Linux camp and many who have not used it in 15 years think Windows is like WindowsME and crashes every 15 minutes and the world is held hostage by THIS HORRIBLE OS BEGGING TO BE FREE or some nonsense.

Fact of the matter is Linux has fallen behind while Windows keeps leapfrogging year after year. Right now there is no way I will ever consider Linux ready. It is beta quality garbage 16 years ago and I am still waiting for it to just work.

Please do not blame evil software companies for not releasing their trade secrets and specs? Windows and MacOSX work just fine closed source because they have an ABI. Because of ideology from those who want only free software Linux won't do this as you need to recompile. Since this won't happen we have bugs and drivers that do not work.

We have a GUI that is never finished and terrible. We have a system that always breaks after an update or two due to no ABI again.

Unix as in FreeBSD and Solaris does not have this problem. I just find it no one can ever challenge this viewpoint except on Neowin which is a MS oriented site. 

But yes Linux is not ready or even close to superior to Windows unless you talk to those who have not run WIndows since ME and have done 10 years worth of re-installing every other update stuff that breaks and doing workarounds like Wine.

I could say so much untrue about any of this.... But I'll hold my tongue on this. Only thing I will say, Windows, Linux, OSX, are separate of each other. Choice has forever been here. Don't like it, don't go bashing at it.

Thanks Crimson Rain - no claims here, just questions.

• Like 1

You are absolutely and unequivocally wrong when you say Diablo 3 or WoW is running natively via WINE; I will not go into the details, but I encourage you to peruse their FAQ and try to better understand the technology that you're using.

Second, it is a fact that OpenGL and DirectX differ on features, and any program run under translation from Direct3D to OpenGL will NOT look the same if a feature of Direct3D is not 1:1 available on OpenGL. Even if you are runing the two side-by-side, you may not be able to spot a difference, but it could be there.

Diablo 3 and WoW only make use of DirectX 9.0c... WINE fully supports this version and likely there aren't any major differences in translation; however, just because a couple games you have run faster does not mean Linux as a whole is a more competent or performance gaming system. Winning a single battle (ie. having one or two games running faster on Linux than windows) doesn't win the war.

I do all my gaming on Linux, but I can honestly say that Linux has a LONG way to go to dethrone Windows

However a lot of more modern game engines have support for both OpenGL and D3D rendering. Unreal 4 and Source 2 will have it, Unity has it, and I don't know about CryEngine but I would be surprised if that doesn't have it as well. Even a lot of older games, particularly those based on older GoldSrc and Unreal versions actually render better in OpenGL mode. IDTech is exclusively OpenGL as well. Cross platform API support is actually very good these days. Linux gaming probably isn't that far behind any more.

I have to say that I just ######ing hate Nvidia and AMD for they absolutely crappy driver. The opensource driver is good but newer versions are having problems with Optimus technology, which is keeping me away from ArchLinux. Found a few workarounds that imply me disabling nvidia card and using only intel but that's not how I want to use my machine. Damn!

I have no idea what an ABI is but I suspect you haven't been on a Linux based machine for 15 years either if you think that.

I have to say that I just ######ing hate Nvidia and AMD for they absolutely crappy driver. The opensource driver is good but newer versions are having problems with Optimus technology, which is keeping me away from ArchLinux. Found a few workarounds that imply me disabling nvidia card and using only intel but that's not how I want to use my machine. Damn!

Why should they spend time and resources (which means a lot of money) for Linux where 99.5% people don't use it? Windows (and Mac; somewhat) is working just fine for all gamers and home users. Why spend money to fix something that is not broken?

Those cards work fine when you use them for compute on Linux. That's what people use Linux for and those cards work just fine there.

I have no idea what an ABI is but I suspect you haven't been on a Linux based machine for 15 years either if you think that.

Why don't drivers just work then?

Take the sinetheo challenge? Install a 5 year old version of Linux and go update it? Most will fail after 1 to 2 versions. ATI and nVidia drivers will bork. Xorg will fail too.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Why don't drivers just work then?

They do. FOSS and proprietary radeon drivers are working fine here for my r9 270x.

Take the sinetheo challenge? Install a 5 year old version of Linux and go update it?

Why would I do that when I can just download a new iso or do a fresh netinstall? It's infinitely quicker and less error prone.

Most will fail after 1 to 2 versions. ATI and nVidia drivers will bork. Xorg will fail too.

Sure sure. The earth will end and the universe will self destruct.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

You're right. Windows is perfect. It's never in its history caused a single system to error during an update or upgrade. Microsoft programmers are perfect robots that never make mistakes. Their software has never had a single bug in the entire company's history. /s

NVIDIA has its own proprietary driver for Linux which works insanely good. They aren't involved with the opensource one at all AFAIK, which is the reason they are hated mostly.

If most of my apps and tools were available for Linux, I'd be there. Sadly, EVE does not function well in WINE, nor does CS:GO/DOTA2. HON has a Linux client, it's just garbage. It crashes if I use anything but default drivers. :(

Though, I'd do it just for learning purposes.

If most of my apps and tools were available for Linux, I'd be there. Sadly, EVE does not function well in WINE, nor does CS:GO/DOTA2. HON has a Linux client, it's just garbage. It crashes if I use anything but default drivers. :(

Though, I'd do it just for learning purposes.

You're kidding, right? These are available via STEAM in Linux, no need to use Wine.  :huh:

A lot of people are complaining that Linux has no apps and are saying that we still rely on Windows and its apps.

First, Linux has perfect alternatives for all software.

For the second thing, the only reason why Windows has more app support is because it has more market share. The reason why it has more market share is because it had more market share in the past. The only reason why Microsoft is still alive is because of legacy.

So, it is best to use Linux because it encourages more support for the platform, and we can use Windows apps anyway if we want to with Wine.

Anyway, I am glad that a lot of people seem to be switching to Linux! I switched on my birthday, last month on May 8. I am enjoying enhanced security and better performance. I just love it!

NVIDIA has its own proprietary driver for Linux which works insanely good. They aren't involved with the opensource one at all AFAIK, which is the reason they are hated mostly.

My experience with NV's proprietary drivers has also been top notch as well.

• Like 1

thing is the NVIDIA driver is not working for me on Fedora, Arch and SUSE. Works fine in ubuntu.

I believe it is because of the 4.X kernel, that's the difference between ubuntu and those others I mentioned. Tried to install Arch yesterday without nouveau, only nvidia drivers and still it wont boot. SUSE does not even get to the live session, same with fedora.

Disabled the dedicated card on my laptop and that didnt solved either. Funny I had all those distros working few months ago before the 4.X kernel.

:(

Can tell you it works on Mint 17.1. I just tried it a few months ago.