Space Shuttle Columbia was shot down by terrorists

RauL

if that with the planes was supposed to be a joke . . . sleeping.gif

luftwaffe

Chavo, those links were intended for sjiggag23 to show him that it IS possible for a missile to shoot down a satellite.

And yes... i agree it was the aliens

:blink:

chavo

Yes it may have been possible in 1985. At least as far as the public knows.

luftwaffe

Exactly, the technology has been aroudn for a while and it certainly is not out of the question that it could *technically* be done, both shooting down a satellite and a fast moving object on orbital re-entry. That is the only thing I was trying to prove.

RadishTM

Hear me!, I hereby banish this thread to the depths of hell for being utter stupid :ninja:

Radish?

Gambit MEM

The technology exists, just do a quick Google search for ASAT missile. Here is a snippet from a link:

After that Soviet Union had developed a "killer satellite" to disable other satellites in the 1970s, the U.S. Air Force decided to develop an anti-satellite weapon system. The ASAT (Anti-Satellite Missile) program began around 1977, and in 1979 Vought was awarded a contract to develop an air-launched missile for use agianst low-earth orbit satellites. The ASAT missile, also known as ALMV (Air-Launched Miniature Vehicle), was designed as a multi-stage rocket, which was to be launched by an F-15 Eagle interceptor in a zoom-climb. Captive flight tests with ASAT vehicles on a modified F-15A began in 1982, and the first launch aimed at a predefined point in space occurred in early 1984.

I seriuosly doubt terrorists could:

1. Get this kind of technology.

2. Get something like a F-15 or Russian Mig-25 to launch it from.

Sorry, going to have to say not possible. :no:

Toxicfume

Oh my God I usually am open minded, but not this excessively open minded.

No offence really, but this topic is a load of bullocks.

Fotix

No. I've never encountered anything that makes me believe it was shot down by terrorists.

canbeli

No. Definitely a no.

There is no missle that can go up so high nor is there one that can go so accurate when the object is travelling that fast!

Unless it is another space object but it is imposible b/c they all saw how it happened it just blasted and before that nothing ever went near it or did any?

AustinM1983

due to the cost, hight, speed and lack of explosive residue i would have to say this thread is bullocks. Have you ever seen a missile in the air it leaves a big entrial and so to does a jet the combanation of all these facts bring the possibility of this event occuring to about zero.

The fact of the mater was this was the first ever space mission to not have a NASA engineer on bored and well you see the result, even if they wanted to fix the craft who would have done it. Cost cutting and poor decision making was at fault along with a big chunk of material breaking off and hitting the wing.

graeme_7799

omg, enough about that stupid shuttle. stop making stupid threads over things like this, who shot JFK and what the hell area 51 is. STOP MAKING BULLSH*T threads.

shrike

HEY! OF COURSE THEY SHOT THE DAMN THING DOWN. DIDN'T YOU KNOW THAT SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE MODERN TERRORIST, THINGS NEVER HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT ANYMORE!?!?!? :angry:

IT'S ALWAYS THOSE DAMN TERRORISTS!!!! :hmmm:

tomasarson

the space shuttle wasn't going too high to be hit by any known missle.

it was flying too fast.

JrDZ13

umm... and to put the nail in the coffin, one last question:

If a "terrorist" is able shoot down a space shuttle with such precision... an remarkably improbable feat.... why would they go for the space shuttle? I mean its a disaster of sorts but logically its only a few people dead and i'm sure that they could have cooked up a much bigger attack with that kind of technology.

username

:whistle: :laugh:

post-92-1072150157.gif

Dessimat0r

:devil:

post-92-1072150785.jpg

KC
wrong, US ballistic missiles can travel at 15,000mph.  wasn't the shuttle going like mach 18?  thats pretty similar.  although i believe their accuracy is measurd in km...

also, ICBMs also leave the atmosphere, but i forget the specs on them and how high the shuttle was.

Would be impossible to do with ICBM and it would be noticed really really really quick. All of the US's ICBMS carry atomic payloads.

One thing you have remember is a ICMB is aim in one direction only, once its built it cant be reaimed with out a great deal of work. The rocket goes up in to space release's its payload which then free falls back to earth with just the force of gravity.

edit/ I made a mistake they can be aimed after launch but only up to the point where the payload is released. Basicly they have to get it on the right path.