Are you afraid to die?

I think religion exists for the sole reason that people are scared to die.

Religion is the reason why I fear death. Since I'm a Catholic, I fear that I may go to hell. I try very hard everyday to be the best that I can be, but a lot of noise and distractions from everyone and everything around me hinders that. While I'm sure it may be possible that religion is wrong about this and that I shouldn't believe in hell, but the problem is there's no way of knowing and IF the church just happens to be right about this, them I'm screwed for eternity. So, just in case hell does exist, I do need to work hard to be on my best behavior. But like I said, I'm only human and I still end up fowling up in life and causing problems no matter how much effort I put in. So, I may still end up in hell and THAT is what scares me about death.

Dying?

Taken before my time? Yes

Self sacrifice for a loved one, not so much

(I'd gladly give my life if it means any of my children live full lives as a result)

Religion is the reason why I fear death. Since I'm a Catholic, I fear that I may go to hell. I try very hard everyday to be the best that I can be, but a lot of noise and distractions from everyone and everything around me hinders that. While I'm sure it may be possible that religion is wrong about this and that I shouldn't believe in hell, but the problem is there's no way of knowing and IF the church just happens to be right about this, them I'm screwed for eternity. So, just in case hell does exist, I do need to work hard to be on my best behavior. But like I said, I'm only human and I still end up fowling up in life and causing problems no matter how much effort I put in. So, I may still end up in hell and THAT is what scares me about death.

You are right - there is no way of knowing for sure - the best you can do is learn as much as you can - then make up your own mind - not just follow what your parents told you was the right answer....

Learn about how, and why your religion was started in the 1st place - and learn from sources that are non-biased.  There is a ton of information out there - if you decide you want to know for yourself.

I'm afraid to be forgotten.

I watched my girlfriend of 7 years battle a non-operable brain tumor.  She battled courageously and as bravely as one could.  I was her primary care giver for over 18 months.  Its been just over a year at the beginning of May and I all ready feel like I'm forgetting her face and the sound of her voice.  So from my own experiences I'm afraid to be forgotten.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Nope, it happens to us all (when your numbers up, your numbers up), so why waste brain power and worry about something you cannot cheat or avoid, thats futile and pointless, and not good for your mind.

Terminal illness is a lottery with the factor of age increasing the odds, deal with it and move on.

Nobody is immune or immortal, we may think it in our teens, as you get older you realise, heck life really is a lottery, no rhyme or reason who gets cancer or other life ending conditions. Sure lifestyles and habits can have an influencing factor on rates of probability, but we all are in that gamble game.

Enjoy now and always remember those who are not here now, then they may be gone, but never forgotten.

Sure watching loved ones suffer with a terminal condition is dammed hard to accept and live through, ive endured it often enough seeing friends children die of genetic conditions, heartbreaking to watch a 4 year old die, or best friends dying of cancer in their 40s. The least you can do is always remember them and take comfort knowing the suffering for them is now over, and never forget them or their friendship with you.

Regret stuff you have done and not what you havnt done, if possible do a random act of kindness every day.

worry about stuff you can change if you want to, the rest, not worth worrying about.

im agnostic so i do not fear my last dying breath, and heck if im wrong, i live my life treating others with respect and treating others how i expect to be treated back, with tolerance to others views or beliefs different to mine. So if im wrong with my religious beliefs (or lack of) at least ive been humane and a decent human being, if there is a deity playing with dice us all, im sure he/she/it would be fine with that.

14 minutes ago, Mando said:

Nope, it happens to us all

Nobody is immune or immortal

Looks like Dick Cheney didn't get the memo.   :)

Just now, JR1966 said:

Looks like Dick Cheney didn't get the memo.   :)

Oh i dunno, he survived a POW camp, thats pretty immortal in a way :)

Forgetting the raising of the dead...

I'm not afraid of dying. Can't imagine I'll be bothered much. What I am afraid of is not being able to make sure the people I love are happy. Really want to see my nieces and nephews grow up, and I want to make sure that at least one of them is a nerd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nope, not at all. Death is final, nothing happens after death so why be scared of it? What i am scared (may not be the right word) of is the consequences of my death, how my family cope and who will be there for them.