Are you afraid to die?

12 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

Don't some people's bowels loosen when they die? So I think clean underwear is not guaranteed. At least the socks will be clean though.

every muscle contracts and relaxes through different stages of death, so yep pretty much!

11 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

I thought so, :)

Stay away from bars, Lime.  They have a very short life there!

I'm 60+ and closer to death (by old age/natural causes) than I was, of course.  I like living and death would be a bummer.  I would be afraid to die in a horrible, lingering way.  But not if sudden, I guess I wouldn't know if it was very sudden and instantaneous.  I would like to see it coming in a way and think, dammit I still have clothes in the dryer...

The transition is scary, but overall life is scarier than death is. You probably get more than one go, just by way of the current theory that for every possible state there is a 100% eventuality of it. To clarify, the very fact I exist proves explicitly that I can exist and consequently have to exist. The theory may be wrong though.

To me, what's scarier than not existing is existing forever, specifically without purpose as well as the transition between each state.

I've been thinking about it lately but not in a suicidal way.  It seems peaceful to me anymore.  

As I get older, the better it seems than fighting the signs of aging, creaking bones, arthritis, bad back etc..

I would not want to die prematurely though, I have a soul mate I never want to leave behind! :D

8 minutes ago, PNWDweller said:

I've been thinking about it lately but not in a suicidal way.  It seems peaceful to me anymore.  

As I get older, the better it seems than fighting the signs of aging, creaking bones, arthritis, bad back etc..

I would not want to die prematurely though, I have a soul mate I never want to leave behind! :D

IIRC, this is why George Eastman killed himself. Not that he was depressed, but because he felt he reached the point in his life where he would never be happier, more successful, etc. He looked ahead and realized he'd get older and his health would eventually fail, so he went out on a high note. I kind of admire that. Perhaps if I was in a scenario where I had no immediate family, lived a pretty happy life, I'd do something similar.

EDIT: Oh, but he already was experiencing intense spinal pain. So that might have factored in.

On 5/24/2015 at 6:21 AM, Elliot B. said:

I think religion exists for the sole reason that people are scared to die.

What religion promises a painless death, I'm just curious? Even in the realm of Christianity, putting aside whether you believe it or not, Christ died by crucifixion. That's not really a good reason to believe in Christianity. If death is ceasing to exist you won't even known when your dead. And that's not really all that scary to me. In that regard I simply echo the beliefs of those who have posted before me. I'm not afraid to be dead. I just don't wanna actually die.

6 hours ago, Raze said:

Stay away from bars, Lime.  They have a very short life there!

You will be fine if yoiu don't drink too much everyday.    

If you are drinking too much everydasy, then you will have short life.     

If it was me, I don't care as long as I am good enough to live as long as I can. 

• 1 year later...

Not at all. Death is a natural part of life. I'm scared of dying young though. I still want to make something of myself before I have to cease my existence. 

Which begs the question, what happens after death? I would put my money down on literally nothing affecting us anymore. No consciousness to allow us to experience things, which in my opinion is what life is; a long (or short) sequence of experiences that eventually come to a stop. But I could never prove that to you, not in a million years. The same can be said about heaven and hell; in order to really find what is on the other side, we have to play the waiting game, which is otherwise known as life. So far we can't stop it. So we probably won't ever stop it. But it might not even be a bad thing after all.

Not afraid, but I'm not looking forward to it either. I intend to live until the healthy age of 300 and I'm at 11% of my total lifespan right now.

Don't imagine I would care much. I think my last words will be "that's not fair". Hopefully it'll be quick and/or in my sleep. I've been suicidal at many points in my life. Fortunately, I seem to suck at it. These days... I get what I can, but dying would still almost be a comfort sometimes.

It is kinda like being on vacation to an exotic spot. I know it'll end, but I want to make the most out of it, and make others feel better about their time by not screwing things up for their experiences.

Though sometimes when I'm reading/studying something where tons of people die, say a war or famine, and so much effort goes into that many lives ending... it is far more tragic for losing their entire world. They all deserve an equal shot.

I imagine that I would be far less glib about death if I lived in a place/time where dying young by things totally out of my control was a reality of daily life. As a modern American, I have a good shot of having plenty of experiences. I guess people would be different if exposure to so much death made them dark and sarcastic or very pious/nervous about it. It is also interesting to imagine what you would give your life for, some balancing point between social behavior, personal investment, and care for what your cause is.

So no, I'm not afraid. I don't know how strongly I would fight if I were in a zombie apocalypse, though. Or. ya know, something more reasonable like having a good cause at war.

Edit; It is hard to think about thinking about nothing. I do understand why so many people turn to religion. It is scary to really have no place in anything, and I see why they think that this makes life irrelevant, when the opposite is true; if you're more concerned with how life is lived, you can apply yourself more and be less toxic.

I don't fear death itself, it's the potential for prolonged pain and suffering that often precedes death that I'm not looking forward to.

Nope - Jesus Christ paid the penalty for my sins and has given me the Holy Spirit as a guarantee.  I've watched many die with peace built on a foundation of faith in Jesus.  Getting to know God in the 15 years since coming to faith has been an amazing adventure.  I'm looking forward to the other side of death.  He is truly good!

So tell me, does god look after the rich and forget the poor, why does he put us on this dying earth?? How can there be a fight between god and Satan in heaven if god is in total control, a bit suss too me...

there is no 100 percent loving god, otherwise he wouldn’t allow this in the first place...

13 hours ago, Minime5600 said:

So tell me, does god look after the rich and forget the poor, why does he put us on this dying earth?? How can there be a fight between god and Satan in heaven if god is in total control, a bit suss too me...

there is no 100 percent loving god, otherwise he wouldn’t allow this in the first place...

I would love to jump into discussion but its Off topic.