Are you afraid to die?

One should not be afraid of death. Here's why:

1. Death is unpredictable BUT its certain.

2. One can die any moment; while sleeping, while having sex, eating, drinking, bathing and basically doing anything.

3. Don't attach yourself to anyone/ anything; Cause they are not coming with you once you die. 

4. If you have no attachments, you basically have nothing to lose, so no reason of being afraid of death.

Yeah but that is an awfully lonely way to live life.

I whooped deaths ass with my light sabre....pfft death.

I am not afraid of death itself, but I do not want to leave this plane of existence. Partly because I am not ready to leave the people I love behind and partly because I am not convinced there is anything after death that I would experience as a consciousness and I am afraid of ceasing to exist altogether.

I think religion exists for the sole reason that people are scared to die.

BINGO !!!!   Whats the dominant age bracket for church attendees.... ones who are beginning to think about death.

No, infact it would be nice to rest free, from the struggle of life.....

post-508501-0-13882900-1432517049.jpg

No, I'd say it would suck.. but I'd be dead, I wouldn't know. 

All you can do is go about your business, chase enjoyment in as many aspects of life you can.

Accidents happen, you cannot control "chance" either.

There is always part of the human condition that fears pain though, everybody has a threshold when it comes to physical and mental pain.

I'm not afraid to die. There is reason why anyone should fear the inevitable. Honestly, I'd be fine with clocking out at 40.

You will change your mind once you hit 40 (unless your life is so pathetic you just don't want to live anymore). I am almost 46 and feel like I am just hitting my prime years.

• Like 1

This thread shows 2 things --- of all the people saying "i dont care" - its either
1) Depression
2) Trying to show the im cool/tough - F- it ! persona

3) Both

I would question (unless your are old and/or in really bad health) if one can really comprehend their death. I don't really think I can...

This thread shows 2 things --- of all the people saying "i dont care" - its either

1) Depression

2) Trying to show the im cool/tough - F- it ! persona

3) Both

I think some people have accepted the inevitability and legitimately "don't care". You could argue it's a defense mechanism but that doesn't remove the general apathy or the ability to label it without being diagnosed with "depression" or attempting to be "cool".

Most people who say they don't care do fit into those two categories but not all people.

I do care, and I don't want to die. I'll remedy this, to the best of my ability, by producing offspring and immortalising myself through influence on the world.

It's not about "caring" if you die.  The tread asks "are you afraid of death?" 

I don't want to die, I'm not afraid of it.. It would just be very inconvenient!

Wouldn't be surprised if in the end I am but in general I think this to be very true;

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome"

Although I'm not actively looking for it, I'm not afraid of death itself. I'm afraid of suffering. As a pleasure loving person, to be suffering sucks, irregardless of my acceptance of suffering at any given time.

Its all about the preservation instinct and how developed it is - chemically perhaps. I have to admit, I fear death and I fail to think about other things worse than death.

Yes and no.  No, I'm not going to sit here and worry about it, and I have no choice but to accept the fact that it will happen, somehow, some day.  However, I do quite enjoy this life, and plan on making the most of it.  I will try to prolong this life for as long as possible, because as far as we know, this is it, so we might as well make the best of it.  We know absolutely nothing about what comes after death.  Sure we've got all sorts of stories and fairy tales to make us feel better, to help us accept the inevitability and permanence of death, especially when somebody close to us dies, but we don't "know" anything about what happens to our consciousness after death.  The human consciousness is, to me, akin to magic.  We are not simple organisms who react only to stimuli.  We are not totally preoccupied with a desire to breed as much and as often as possible, however fun that might be.  We are self aware, we can choose to take actions contrary to our natural instincts to fulfill higher level desires such as a want for entertainment or companionship or praise.  We can sit for hours and do nothing but think, contemplate our place in the grand scheme of things.  The fact that we're even having this discussion, and the means by which we're having it, is, to me, proof that there really is something more to the human consciousness.  We're not just a squishy ball of goop hanging around for a few decades, there's something more to us, there's a little something extra to the human consciousness, and I find it awfully difficult, or scary as hell, that it is indefinitely tied to our physical body.  I tend to think that our consciousness goes somewhere, does something, but we don't know anything for a fact.  The thought of this body dying doesn't scare me.  If reincarnation is real, the thought of losing all of my memories of this life doesn't scare me, as much as I love the people I've met in this life.  What absolutely scares the crap out of me is the thought that maybe, just maybe, when we die, there's absolutely nothing, nada, zilch.  Our consciousness, our "soul" if you will, just fizzles into nothing but a warm spot in our coffin and rots away with our physical body.  I would like to believe that when I die, the spark that is me, my soul, will continue on in some other plane of existence, but at the end of the day nobody really knows what happens.  We can brainwash ourselves into believing whatever is most comforting, read about near death hallucinations, or pray until our heads explode, but at the end of the day, we have to entertain the possibility that there really is absolutely nothing.  I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but the possibility that I'm right is the scariest thing about dying for me.

^ someone needs to learn where the RETURN key is :p

Overall, I don't think I am. It's not the being dead thought that worries me, it's the pain in getting there that disconcerts me.

This.
Although I almost have a panic attack when I think about being dead because my mind can't imagine the world without me in it.