'Draw Muhammad' contest planned in Phoenix

Se, you are looking at this and getting mad because they are not great people and what they are doing is just mean/rude/etc, etc, etc...but they do have the right to say it!!!!  And on top of that, have the right to be safe while saying it.

I am not condoning what they are saying, but I do think they MUST be allowed to say it.   It sucks I know.......

I'm not mad, and sure they have the right to say it, that doesn't mean they should or have to or that it isn't an incredible stupid and insensitive and offensive thing to do. 

Let's face it these people aren't doing it for freedom of speech, they're ONLY doing it because they KNOW it offends muslims. You can't support this on one hand and say that the WBC are idiots on the other. 

Homosexuality offends Islam (and is punishable by death just the same as drawing the prophet), but yet you don't say anything about the millions of events/gatherings that go on yearly, why with this offense in particular?

Two wrongs make a right, huh ? ( and no, I didn't mean that gay pride is a wrong, but that the muslims (AND christian) gay hate is wrong)

• Like 1

How can you say that? Isn't homosexuality a "choice" according to islam? So according to islam they are "choosing" to offend?

These people are having a rally to provoke a reaction to prove a point, hence my statement Freedom to Offend.  No one chooses to go Gay just to offend, if it offends you then thats your problem.  In this case it's a deliberate act to offend, are they testing the constitution?.

• Like 1

I'm not mad, and sure they have the right to say it, that doesn't mean they should or have to or that it isn't an incredible stupid and insensitive and offensive thing to do. 

Let's face it these people aren't doing it for freedom of speech, they're ONLY doing it because they KNOW it offends muslims. You can't support this on one hand and say that the WBC are idiots on the other. 

I can 100% say that I personally would hold one of these BUT NOT FOR THE REASON TO OFFEND but to show that I CAN if I should choose. I will not let one person's faith hold me the same laws they hold themselves to.

These people are having a rally to provoke a reaction to prove a point, hence my statement Freedom to Offend.  No one chooses to go Gay just to offend, if it offends you then thats your problem.  In this case it's a deliberate act to offend, are they testing the constitution?.

So the people that hold a gay pride event are NOT trying to prove a point? Are you suggesting a gay pride event is pointless? You may not know this but is 100% is to prove a point. (and side note: I am suprisided you, as a muslim, said being attracted to the same gender is not a conscious choice. I congratulate you on that.)

its not to ###### anyone off, it's a demonstration of freedom. If it offends you, you can choose NOT to attend.

It's done with the sole intention of antagonising Muslims. I suppose a 'draw Jesus having sex with a man' competition would be a 'demonstration of freedom' too, right? It doesn't matter that Christians would be offended because freedom, right?

This is designed to divide communities, to foster hostility and attract confrontation. This is not something any decent human being would support. It's just an opportunity for bigots to meet like-minded people.

• Like 3

It's done with the sole intention of antagonising Muslims. I suppose a 'draw Jesus having sex with a man' competition would be a 'demonstration of freedom' too, right? It doesn't matter that Christians would be offended because freedom, right?

This is designed to divide communities, to foster hostility and attract confrontation. This is not something any decent human being would support. It's just an opportunity for bigots to meet like-minded people.

You could be wrong, depends on the person. I would hold one only to showcase that we can. The offense it may create is a byproduct of the act, not the reason for the act.

Yes, it doesn't matter that Christians would be offended in a similar situation. Your point?

I can 100% say that I personally would hold one of these BUT NOT FOR THE REASON TO OFFEND but to show that I CAN if I should choose. I will not let one person's faith hold me the same laws they hold themselves to.

So the people that hold a gay pride event are NOT trying to prove a point? Are you suggesting a gay pride event is pointless? You may not know this but is 100% is to prove a point. (and side note: I am suprisided you, as a muslim, said being attracted to the same gender is not a conscious choice. I congratulate you on that.)

who said I am a muslim? sounds like you have some issues, not quite sure what you are reading but its not my posts.

I am at peace, If I know I CAN do something I am content in knowing if a time arises that I HAVE to I can.  I am not so insecure to test this.

You could be wrong, depends on the person. I would hold one only to showcase that we can. The offense it may create is a byproduct of the act, not the reason for the act.

It's like walking up to somebody and telling them you wish their entire family was dead just to exercise your freedom of speech. Sure you can do it but you shouldn't. Offence isn't the by-product - it's the express intention.

Yes, it doesn't matter that Christians would be offended in a similar situation. Your point?

My point isn't that people of faith shouldn't be offended

Oh great more dumb people confusing ISIS with Muslims  :/

Oh great more dumb people confusing Huskies with Dogs.

Freedom to offend, nothing to do with speech what so ever

Freedom of speech will always offend someone. Gay rights is a beautiful example. Should we backtrack on women's rights and gay rights in western nations to appease offended muslims? If no then you inconsistent.

Rather than compassion and understanding we see hostility and confrontation. What an incredibly immature thing to do, though I can't say I'm surprised.

Hostility is ONLY toward muslims who hate depictions of their prophet and why shouldn't it be warranted? FFS

Homosexuality offend a lot of people. Gay pride parades offends most people with die hard faith so do you all think they should not be held as well?

This.

who said I am a muslim? sounds like you have some issues, not quite sure what you are reading but its not my posts.

I am at peace, If I know I CAN do something I am content in knowing if a time arises that I HAVE to I can.  I am not so insecure to test this.

You seem against freedoms when those freedoms infringe on a religion filled with extemists. That makes you a bad person.

To the first point, I have two words: "Pee Christ"

To the second, should we apply this same rule to world leaders that add heat to the racial and class powder kegs in various societies? There are certain cases where free speech is restricted, but another's offense is not one of them.

its not really free speech when you need the feds to provide security.

But that's part of their job, to protect and uphold our freedoms.

Pretty sure you can Google that :p

Having a contest is a bit dumb. The best satire simply comes from more natural sources, such as comics, the internet and comedy in general. No one holds competitions for satire, it's simply out there as a constructive part of free speech. A contest really needs to have some sort of merit to win, such as most artistic piece, quickest drawing of skill in a timeframe, etc. Holding a competition simply to make a point does not mean its intelligent or constructive. Muslims and anyone of faith in general need to accept satire, but to try and reach reform (especially with Muslims) there is better ways to hold these discussions than this.

Still as dumb as I find this, absolutely no one responding with violence has any shred of backing or respect from me. To be offended does not give you a pass to respond in a violent manner. This competition is not violent, so do not even try to pedal an eye for an eye. Unfortunately with the way large portions of the Muslim community are, violence is almost inevitable. A "contest" like this just runs that risk. Hence why to put out successful satire there are far more productive channels like the ones I have mentioned which do not restrict artistic freedom and at the same time don't make you come across as someone who just wants to run into a room and shout "look at me, look what I drew". Attention seekers like that are annoying regardless of the topic, and those trying to be edgy more often just come across as jack asses rather than an artist or comic making either a good point, or a good joke.

Is it so hard to respect others? Honest to God. I think its a bit silly, but I aint about to draw the guy. Cause what may seem silly to me, isn`t to others.

Seriously is that not basic human decency? Or did I miss the memo on that?

Plus Im assuming a fair few of these idiots, are so called "Christians", so again WTF are you doing disrespecting others believes?

Dont understand the need to provoke people in this way. Twats!!

Also likening this to gays rights, so as to justify it...

Firstly Gay rights is about giving people rights, right to marry, right to live unpersecuted etc. Not the same as willfully trying to offend a certain group of people. Much in the same way we all take offence to West Boro.

Its not the same as me pretending im gay and doing something gays find offensive, simply to get a response.

Theres no need for us to draw Mohammed. There is a need for gay rights, to have.. you know rights.

And holding a competition for it, well that just says "were doing this to ###### folk off","we have no need other than that"

If your offended by gays, then thats a shame. If your offended that you cant draw the prophet Mohammed as a non-muslim, then you have the same problem. YOU DONT RESPECT OTHERS!.

its not to ###### anyone off, it's a demonstration of freedom. If it offends you, you can choose NOT to attend.

You don't really believe that crap, do you?

But that's part of their job, to protect and uphold our freedoms.

if security was unavailable, these people wouldn't express their opinion in such a public setting, they could only express such an opinion in a controlled environment. that doesn't sound free to me.

if security was unavailable, these people wouldn't express their opinion in such a public setting, they could only express such an opinion in a controlled environment. that doesn't sound free to me.

How do you know they wouldn't?  And nothing says they need a controlled environment.  Freedom does come with risks and costs when there are some that want to impose restrictions so they may dominate, dictate and govern based on their own noninclusive views.

I don't necessarily agree with what they are saying, but they have the freedom to, just as others have the freedom to express their dislike/dismay/disgust for what they are doing.

Many people would loose their lives to uphold freedoms than give up.

Why must freedom of speech be demonstrated by one of the very few things that offends all muslims and antagonizes the extremists...

this isn't a freedom os speech thing, this is an offendathon. 

Why must freedom of speech be demonstrated by one of the very few things that offends all muslims and antagonizes the extremists...

I sincerely doubt it offends all Muslims. Offence for the large part is a completely personal stance, not a mass stance to be thrown around. That's when you actually give up your freedoms, when you start letting others tell you what should offend you and not think for yourself.

The great thing (or hilarious due to the inconsistencies it spawns) about religion is how every individual interprets their given text. Some will say correctly in my opinion, this book was written ages ago when people weren't as civilised and advanced as we are now, so the passages about homosexuality simply represent the knowledge at those times. These days they mean nothing, and God loves all, therefore, homosexuality doesn't offend or disgust me. Others will live in the past and sadly condemn normal human beings without thinking for themselves.

Apply that same way of thinking to cartoons or satire if you wish. Religious people do. Heck some of them probably have a chuckle at all the appearances of Jesus in Family Guy.

Being offended does not give you the right to kill someone.

I burned parts of the new testament in front of a nutty preacher on campus, in Christian USA, and I am still alive.

Note the difference.

Being offended does not give you the right to kill someone.

I burned parts of the new testament in front of a nutty preacher on campus, in Christian USA, and I am still alive.

Note the difference.

never said it gave anyone the right to kill anyone. as I said before 99.999% of muslims are just regular muslims who will be offended. But even then what' the point of antagonizing the extremists just because you can, and even if that's your goal, why offend the vast majority of the regular muslims to do it. 

there are better ways to demonstrate freedom of speech. which contrary to most Americans belief, doesn't mean you can say anything, wherever whenever, mostly it's about the fact you can believe anything you want and stand for that belief without the government prosecuting and hunting you for it. in this case, yes it's covered by freedom of speech, but it's not covered by being a good common sense using human being. If you need to offend millions of people to prove yourself, then you're a pretty pathetic human being imho. 

An when the idiot extremists come knocking with guns(as they did in paris) don't play the innocent "I didn't do nothing wrong" card. Yes what they're doing is wrong and has no excuse, but they know damn well they're antagonizing them to do it and that they will do it. Paris already proved you're not safe just because you live in a major western city. 

Also you could burn the Koran in front of the vast majority of muslims and you'd still be safe, so no I don't see the difference. you know as well as I do there are extremists christians who would kill you for it, even whole nations of them.