'Draw Muhammad' contest planned in Phoenix

never said it gave anyone the right to kill anyone. as I said before 99.999% of muslims are just regular muslims who will be offended. But even then what' the point of antagonizing the extremists just because you can, and even if that's your goal, why offend the vast majority of the regular muslims to do it. 

there are better ways to demonstrate freedom of speech. which contrary to most Americans belief, doesn't mean you can say anything, wherever whenever, mostly it's about the fact you can believe anything you want and stand for that belief without the government prosecuting and hunting you for it. in this case, yes it's covered by freedom of speech, but it's not covered by being a good common sense using human being. If you need to offend millions of people to prove yourself, then you're a pretty pathetic human being imho. 

An when the idiot extremists come knocking with guns(as they did in paris) don't play the innocent "I didn't do nothing wrong" card. Yes what they're doing is wrong and has no excuse, but they know damn well they're antagonizing them to do it and that they will do it. Paris already proved you're not safe just because you live in a major western city. 

Also you could burn the Koran in front of the vast majority of muslims and you'd still be safe, so no I don't see the difference. you know as well as I do there are extremists christians who would kill you for it, even whole nations of them.

Being offended is part of being western. Everyone is offended by something. So?

It is a drawing of a person. They are offended by it. That is ridiculous. If someone is that easily offended - ###### them.

Part of such demonstration is to bring out the extremists to show them to the world that they are at your doorstep. Note how much France has improved after Charlie Hebdo.

I am not a fan of your reality bubble.

I am a Muslim, it goes against what I was taught to believe in, but I think that this trend should continue, there should be more draw Muhammad days. Though instead of portraying Muhammad in an offensive way, draw him with flowers, peace etc... the more people do this the more tolerant Muslims will become towards this, there will come a time when drawing Muhammad in any way/act will become tolerable. This will take time, but if people have patience and follow logic this is the way to take.

Lastly, the people who are just doing this to provoke, ******** them.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. You know this is against the teachings of Islam, yet you think doing this more would make Muslims tolerant towards it? Next you'll suggest burning the Quran more will make Muslims more tolerant too?

It is a drawing of a person. They are offended by it. That is ridiculous. If someone is that easily offended - ###### them.

Part of such demonstration is to bring out the extremists to show them to the world that they are at your doorstep. Note how much France has improved after Charlie Hebdo.

How much france has improved... except for a few dead people. people feeling terror on their doorsteps. starting to introduce american style draconian surveillance and anti terror laws a bigger chance of the right wing anti immigration extremists parties winning next election again... no there's no huge difference, and those changes none of them are good changes. 

If someone, for example, were to post sexually explicit pictures of your family members, as someone with dignity and self respect I hope, would it not ###### you off? Maybe even provoke you into taking some drastic action if the culprit taunts it in your face? Similarily, every Muslim considers the Prophet to be more dear to them than family even. So it's not just a drawing of a person, it's a personal attack on their self.

If someone, for example, were to post sexually explicit pictures of your family members, as someone with dignity and self respect I hope, would it not ###### you off? Maybe even provoke you into taking some drastic action if the culprit taunts it in your face? Similarily, every Muslim considers the Prophet to be more dear to them than family even. So it's not just a drawing of a person, it's a personal attack on their self.

Normal people don't consider a pedophile more dear than their family members.
  • Like 2

I am a Muslim, it goes against what I was taught to believe in, but I think that this trend should continue, there should be more draw Muhammad days. Though instead of portraying Muhammad in an offensive way, draw him with flowers, peace etc... the more people do this the more tolerant Muslims will become towards this, there will come a time when drawing Muhammad in any way/act will become tolerable. This will take time, but if people have patience and follow logic this is the way to take.

Lastly, the people who are just doing this to provoke, ******** them.

Muslims also need to become tolerant of western culture. This is the reason why these protests and events happen in the first place.

Muslims also need to become tolerant of western culture. This is the reason why these protests and events happen in the first place.

Yeah, offending them will surely help them become more tolerant...

Normal people don't consider a pedophile more dear than their family members.

Sigh. Normal people have a little tolerance for others' beliefs and don't just spout off whatever comes to mind about things they no nothing about. Otherwise there's no difference between these extremists and you.

Yeah, offending them will surely help them become more tolerant...

And doing nothing just lets them get their way and bully local communities to bend over backwards to please them. Just look at Europe.

I suppose free speech extends to burning the American flag, and perhaps effigies of the twin towers?

I mean, you shouldn't retaliate with violence just because you are deeply offended, right?

It's so petty, all if it. Grow up.

You don't really believe that crap, do you?

Yes I do. NOTE:  I do not know the people personally who are possibly holding the next event, they may very well be doing it to offend. They also may not be doing it to offend. All I know is that if I was holding one, it would NOT be to offend but only demonstrate that a group can not hold their beliefs do not trump the ability of my actions, just the same as MY beliefs can NOT override theirs. Example:  I belief of any faith in the supernatural should not be seen in public and should always be confined to ones home area/space. Since this is my belief, should they be forced to follow what I believe? (note: even though that would be a great thing, I don't think my belief should be forced, it was for example only).

And doing nothing just lets them get their way and bully local communities to bend over backwards to please them. Just look at Europe.

What on Earth are you talking about?

You are acting like there is big hostile Muslim take over happening. There isn't.

Sigh. Normal people have a little tolerance for others' beliefs and don't just spout off whatever comes to mind about things they no nothing about. Otherwise there's no difference between these extremists and you.

You mean like the Rochdale police that "tolerated" a Muslim paedophile gang to continue sexually abusing young girls over a span of 2 years for fear of being branded "racist"?

You mean like the Rochdale police that "tolerated" a Muslim paedophile gang to continue sexually abusing young girls over a span of 2 years for fear of being branded "racist"?

Nope.

Nope.

Oh, so where do you draw the line at tolerating certain beliefs? Murder? Abuse of children? Rape? Misogyny?

Because I think taking a 13-yearold girl as a "wife" and consummating said marriage a year later counts as at least one of the above.

Oh, so where do you draw the line at tolerating certain beliefs? Murder? Abuse of children? Rape? Misogyny?

Because I think taking a 13-yearold girl as a "wife" and consummating said marriage a year later counts as at least one of the above.

You're attempting to completely twist and manufacture a point that Athernar isn't even making.

Also, if you're trying to reference the Prophet Muhammad with that last line, you do realize that was common practice in the known world at that time? A 13 year old was considered an adult and of childbearing age. Especially, considering people had shorter lifespans and the child mortality rate was much higher at that time in history. This was practiced in both Europe and Asia.

You're attempting to completely twist and manufacture a point that Athernar isn't even making.

Also, if you're trying to reference the Prophet Muhammad with that last line, you do realize that was common practice in the known world at that time? A 13 year old was considered an adult and of childbearing age. Especially, considering people had shorter lifespans and the child mortality rate was much higher at that time in history. This was practiced in both Europe and Asia.

So it's okay to venerate a pedophile today just because they perpetrated their abuse "a long time ago" when it was "the norm"?

Yeah, no.

So it's okay to venerate a pedophile today just because they perpetrated their abuse "a long time ago" when it was "the norm"?

Yeah, no.

The fact is, this was not considered pedophilia at the time. So, in the eyes of the people, there was never an issue. Simply because we've redefined the parameters of what is considered to be pedophilia, doesn't change what was a common practice at that time. It wasn't seen as wrong and as a general rule, no one's freedoms were being taken away or violated and no one was being hurt as a consequence.

If Plato or Aristotle had sex with men, does that make them any less venerable? Homosexuality wasn't considered a sin nor was it illegal at that time.

Haha, look at you being all concerned about when someone married who 1300 years ago. I wonder how much do you know about her? Her name at least? She was with the Prophet for ten years till his death, after which she became the most reliable authority on his teachings and  the most influential woman in all of Arabia. She lived on till the age of 65 and is one of the most respected personality among Muslims. Did she ever have anything except good to say about the Prophet? Nope.

If you're going to be an Islamophobe, at least don't be an ignorant one. Do a little research and don't just parrot what others say. Because no matter how many times they say it, it still doesn't make it any truer.

It's done with the sole intention of antagonising Muslims. I suppose a 'draw Jesus having sex with a man' competition would be a 'demonstration of freedom' too, right? It doesn't matter that Christians would be offended because freedom, right?

This is designed to divide communities, to foster hostility and attract confrontation. This is not something any decent human being would support. It's just an opportunity for bigots to meet like-minded people.

I believe they actually have those kinds of things, but no it doesn't matter if Christians would be offended. A lot of atheists say things that would offend Christians. In fact, Christians are pretty much picked on and bullied all the time online because it's the hip thing to do.

There are all kinds of "rallies" going on all the time that may offend some people, like waving the Confederate flag, but I've never seen any of the offended people start shooting at the rally participants.

• Like 2

The fact is, this was not considered pedophilia at the time. So, in the eyes of the people, there was never an issue. Simply because we've redefined the parameters of what is considered to be pedophilia, doesn't change what was a common practice at that time. It wasn't seen as wrong and as a general rule, no one's freedoms were being taken away or violated and no one was being hurt as a consequence.

If Plato or Aristotle had sex with men, does that make them any less venerable? Homosexuality wasn't considered a sin nor was it illegal at that time.

Ah, so you DO think it's perfectly fine to venerate a paedophile in 2015, and things don't matter if they happen in the past. Got it.

Haha, look at you being all concerned about when someone married who 1300 years ago. I wonder how much do you know about her? Her name at least? She was with the Prophet for ten years till his death, after which she became the most reliable authority on his teachings and  the most influential woman in all of Arabia. She lived on till the age of 65 and is one of the most respected personality among Muslims. Did she ever have anything except good to say about the Prophet? Nope.

If you're going to be an Islamophobe, at least don't be an ignorant one. Do a little research and don't just parrot what others say. Because no matter how many times they say it, it still doesn't make it any truer.

Oh I'm quite aware of Aisha's name, I'm also quite aware of the existence of something called Stockholm syndrome.

Call me an Islamophobe all you want, it doesn't change the fact that I'm right - although I do prefer the more accurate term "anti-theist".

If we're doing the whole labels thing though, I'll slap a nice great big "Misogynist" sticker on your forehead. Now we're even!

I believe they actually have those kinds of things, but no it doesn't matter if Christians would be offended. A lot of atheists say things that would offend Christians. In fact, Christians are pretty much picked on and bullied all the time online because it's the hip thing to do.

There are all kinds of "rallies" going on all the time that may offend some people, like waving the Confederate flag, but I've never seen any of the offended people start shooting at the rally participants.

Yeah, Christians have it so hard in the US, I mean politically you can't admit to being a Christian without having your political career torched because of it.

Oh wait, that's Atheists.

D'oh!

• Like 1

Just look at europe what ? I live in europe. You may want to listen a bit less to Fox news and stuff like the british defense league or whatever the nutters are called and look at reality. Europe is doing fine. in many ways in this regard better than the US. 

I suppose free speech extends to burning the American flag, and perhaps effigies of the twin towers?

I mean, you shouldn't retaliate with violence just because you are deeply offended, right?

It's so petty, all if it. Grow up.

Unlike most European countries it's actually legal to burn the US flag... 

• Like 2