Let's talk coffee makers

I wanted to know of some recommendations for coffee makers similar to the Keurig 2.0. I didnt want to buy the 2.0 model due to the DRM thing thats on the cups(yes I know it can be hacked). There doesnt seem to be any hint at a 3.0 model in sight so I am looking for something that will use all K-cups whether its for coffee, tea or even hot chocolate. If this need to go in hardware, forum mods please move it to that section.

Can pry my Keurig 1.0 out of my cold, dead hands.  Personally won't mind getting the "protected" version once this one eventually dies, it's a once-and-done fix to "hack" thing.. not that it's a bloody retarded thing to have in the first place, can't believe it's even legal.  My brother in law has a Hamilton Beach Flexbew K-Cup brewer that looked pretty decent too, uses any K-Cups and has a lot of bells and whistles, I'd consider that as a replacement too when the time comes.

I wanted to know of some recommendations for coffee makers similar to the Keurig 2.0. I didnt want to buy the 2.0 model due to the DRM thing thats on the cups(yes I know it can be hacked). There doesnt seem to be any hint at a 3.0 model in sight so I am looking for something that will use all K-cups whether its for coffee, tea or even hot chocolate. If this need to go in hardware, forum mods please move it to that section.

I own Tassimo and quite like it because there many cartridges available for it. My favorite was Milka hot chocolate, that is until Kraft bought them out and start putting powder **** instead of liquid milk/chocolate and now it tastes like vomit. But coffee/ tea are delicious. :)

Can pry my Keurig 1.0 out of my cold, dead hands.  Personally won't mind getting the "protected" version once this one eventually dies, it's a once-and-done fix to "hack" thing.. not that it's a bloody retarded thing to have in the first place, can't believe it's even legal.  My brother in law has a Hamilton Beach Flexbew K-Cup brewer that looked pretty decent too, uses any K-Cups and has a lot of bells and whistles, I'd consider that as a replacement too when the time comes.

Dont support those idiots when old one dies. Let them bite it back in the a**

I own Tassimo and quite like it because there many cartridges available for it. My favorite was Milka hot chocolate, that is until Kraft bought them out and start putting powder **** instead of liquid milk/chocolate and now it tastes like vomit. But coffee/ tea are delicious. :)

Milka - Same great brand name, now with cheaper ingredients :)

We hacked our keurig 2.0 at work.  No more DRM. 

here are a few hacks that we have used...

This one uses a magnet to bypass, very unintrusive

- this one is perm and requires some internal rewiring (well it is splicing 2 wires together).  We are currently using this hack.  This could possibly void warranty if you mention that you did this.

---------------

that said, the best prepackaged, single cup coffee maker that we have used is the tossimo.  However the tossimo t disks are hard to find compared to k cups.  I don't go to bed bath and beyond at all nor do I pass one...one is close enough but I never rembemer to go there.  tossimo.com is easy enough, but I never remember to go there to refil prior to running out of coffee.  k cups, I can get at any supermarket, wallmart, drug store, or pretty much anywhere I travel to or at least in the same vicinity that I am in.  A 5 minute round trip stop vs 1hr round trip. 

and tastes/smells like horse *** :)

As far as sh** goes, horse sh** is one of the least pungent varieties.

I've been drinking the Nespresso stuff lately. Have to say I'm very impressed with the pods and they have a huge variety.

Does the Tossimo use k-cups too or its own type of cup?

T-cups not kcups. Completely different config. Also they have a bar code on them to tell the coffee maker how much water, how hot, and how much pressure. Keurig trying to do same with 2.0, but they screwed up deployment imo, if it can't detect it should go to option screen to allow you to still brew. Easy enough fix though.

One more thing, if you want to brew your own coffee (well coffee from a can) with a tossimo, you can't. You must use the prepackaged t-disc. The hacks I posted will allow you to use the keurig in any configuration you want.

Honestly, I hate how my coffee comes out. K-Cups are so expensive, and they taste like crap.

I'm a coffee freak. If it isn't to my usual standard, I'll sure as heck let you know it's sludge.

I use a french press, and I'll be roasting my own beans here soon. Anyways, Thanks sc302, those videos were helpful.

Edit:

Do I need to leave the magnet there all the time, or would I just place it there when I'm brewing a cup of coffee? If this works, I'm going to charge my company for a few hours of pay ;)

those hirez pics are not only huge but also sideways - could you at least have rotated them?

anyways, still have my Krups coffee machine from 2007; it's rock solid and with fresh coffee.. yum!

Honestly, I hate how my coffee comes out. K-Cups are so expensive, and they taste like crap.

I'm a coffee freak. If it isn't to my usual standard, I'll sure as heck let you know it's sludge.

I use a french press, and I'll be roastinyg my own beans here soon. Anyways, Thanks sc302, those videos were helpful.

Sorry about the pics..On my phone.

You need to find the right coffee for you. A lot of the coffee you find in the stores are no good...You have to find your flavor. Jet fuel is good but hard to find, dark magic is also good which is much easier to find. Folgers classic roast is tolerable. Death wish k cups are good online only though. Mad monkey swingin bold is really good but online only. Hula girl line is real good too, but they are about 2 bux a pod.

A good deal on kcups are around 15 cents a cup, you can find them that low occasionally. Average is about 50 cents a cup.

Leave it in there or if you want to screw with people, take it out and only brew when you are there telling them you don't know what is wrong and that it works for you.

Edit:

Do I need to leave the magnet there all the time, or would I just place it there when I'm brewing a cup of coffee? If this works, I'm going to charge my company for a few hours of pay ;)

You need to find the right coffee for you. A lot of the coffee you find in the stores are no good...You have to find your flavor. Jet fuel is good but hard to find, dark magic is also good which is much easier to find. Folgers classic roast is tolerable. Death wish k cups are good online only though. Mad monkey swingin bold is really good but online only. Hula girl line is real good too, but they are about 2 bux a pod.

A good deal on kcups are around 15 cents a cup, you can find them that low occasionally. Average is about 50 cents a cup.

I've tried almost all of the ones you've mentioned. Starbucks is *barf*. I'm just a coffee nazi. I grind my own beans, and I'll roast them soon. Freshly ground coffee beans is the BEST ever, but again I'm just a nazi.

If I can get a Keurig and brew my own coffee in it, then sweet.

Also, do they make the Pot sized "use your own grounds" cup thingy?

I use coffee more as a drink, than a stimulant. The smell, the taste, oh man..

Leave it in there or if you want to screw with people, take it out and only brew when you are there telling them you don't know what is wrong and that it works for you.

What I'm asking is.. If I put the magnet in there, will it screw up the "normal" brewing? We have one here at work that isn't hacked, and I'm getting tired of selecting 10oz and getting 6oz of coffee. I'd rather not break my companies coffee machine, haha.

It is only 4 cups in that pot.  Just make two large cups, use it on the #2 and strong brew it.  It slow brews the coffee instead of fast brewing it, changing the pressure and how much water is released at the given time.  If you want less water a #4. If you go through the videos you will see the menu selection or once you do the hack you will also see the menu selection. 

an edit to your edit:  the magnet does not screw up the coffee machine.  simply remove it and it will go back to normal.  The magnet can get jostled around causing the fix to become broken which you may have to reposition the magnet.  This became a pain so we spiced it.  We buy our own coffee, the company doesn't pay for it, we bought the machine too.  The companies swill comes in a frozen squeeze pouch looking thing and is really really nasty, it was to the point that we were leaving to get coffee twice a day.  The same pouch that makes the coffee is the same pouch that the machine makes espresso from...yea that is real coffee right there..Yuk!

It is only 4 cups in that pot.  Just make two large cups, use it on the #2 and strong brew it.  It slow brews the coffee instead of fast brewing it, changing the pressure and how much water is released at the given time.  If you want less water a #4. If you go through the videos you will see the menu selection or once you do the hack you will also see the menu selection. 

an edit to your edit:  the magnet does not screw up the coffee machine.  simply remove it and it will go back to normal. 

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Now, to destroy my niece's plastic fridge alphabet letters for a magnet. :D I'm such an awesome Uncle :p

I'll actually go back to using the sludge maker, french press takes way too long, and it can't be mass produced. I'll continue making my iced coffee that way! :D

no problem.

i'm not a coffee connoisseur but i find that most of the coffee in supermarkets taste like crap; in fact only a few are really tasty for me. Also i don't enjoy the nespresso coffee at all; i think that is a downgrade in taste; more easy to maintain and to clean sure, but the coffee has a worse taste. My Krups is old i know, but i'm not willing to fork 400

Never understood the want for one of those machines.  Seems like a waste of money to me.  Like I drink minimum two cups of coffee per round.. I would go through a pack of those cups in no time. I also try and drink organic/fair trade cofee.. so one of those machines seems kind of silly to me.

I'd stick with a straight drip coffee maker (not that fancy press or anything).. does it's job and is cheaper than any of those machines.

Easy cleanup. Throw out the paper cup.

Don't need to have a whole pot burning the bottom of the coffee maker or go stale. Don't need to make more than you will drink.

I will essentially brew a cup at home prior to leaving and someone in the morning I will brew another cup at work. Coffee won't get cold and will always be fresh.

Sometimes I go through cups quickly sometimes I will go through then very quickly. The most I have to clean is my ceramic mug on the weekends or my to go mug during the week.

I have a Keurig Vue from before all the DRM crap, will also be our last one, same with Mom Vue/K cups are too expensive, the machines clog up way too often, the needle will get clogged with grounds on both types of machines

We use an adapter and buy roasted beans and grind when needed which is a nice and cheaper way to make cofee, but since it's been clogged again am back to using a cheap 8 yo 4 cup MrCoffe brewer :)

They discontinued the vue. You won't find coffee for it. If you do it will be the last bit out there.

Here is a little tidbit to stop it from clogging...remove the pod after use.  The grinds will congeal in the piercer after the grinds sit in there.  The original doesn't seem to have this issue as bad as the 2.0.  The fix is simple enough, take a paper clip unbend it and shove it up in there, there are 3 holes in the main piercer, then brewing a cup or two without a pod (just water, no coffee).  I don't mind doing this too much, but after we learned this we have gone a few months without the need to clean it.