How to sign a driver?

Hey guys,

Just arrived here and I was wondering if somebody knows a way to sign a windows driver without some $200 certificate...

I am trying to get multikey driver to work as a replacement for my broken encryption dongle....

got it to work now running windows in Test mode and thought you guys could help me out with creating a signed driver.

I'd really appreciate it ;) 

You can always disable Driver Signature Enforcement: It works when installing non-digitally signed drivers.

In Windows 8 or newer,

1. Press Shift + Restart to enter recovery mode.
  2. Hit troubleshoot
  3. Advanced options
  4. Startup settings "Restart"
  5. Press #7
  6. Try installing.

In Windows 7:

1. Restart and press like a maniac F8

2. Select " DIsable Driver Signature Enforcement"

3. Try installing.

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/how-to-disable-or-enable-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8-and-8.1.html

@Jose_49

Thanks for the input but I am already past that stage....

I signed the driver with a test certificate and it works flawless in test mode. Doesn't work in normal mode though as I think the signature gets checked during boot up

Now I'd like to get it signed with a proper certificate since I don't like to run Windows in test mode all the time

Isn't a signed driver done by Microsoft with their WHQL lab? I don't think you can sign a driver for production, that's the whole point, it has to be approved and tested by MS.

shouldn't there be a way for developers to sign drivers?

I cant imagine that every driver for every piece of hardware gets checked by MS...

I cant imagine that every driver for every piece of hardware gets checked by MS...

no the drivers are signed by microsoft, the hardware checking is not done by MS but there are requirements that it has to meet before it can be given the correct approval lables on the box.

Hey guys,

Just arrived here and I was wondering if somebody knows a way to sign a windows driver without some $200 certificate...

I am trying to get multikey driver to work as a replacement for my broken encryption dongle....

got it to work now running windows in Test mode and thought you guys could help me out with creating a signed driver.

I'd really appreciate it ;)

Have you created a compatible inf file (for* Windows 10) and generated a cat file for Windows 10? (driver dev tools for win 10) .. if yes...

I wouldn't be so sure, I have seen their printer lab haha.

Unfortunatly the driver was not written by me and I don't have enough experience with driver coding and signing to give you a proper answer to your question...

As far as I know the driver was written for windows 7

If you could take a look that would be awesome!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6wq3pf0ujae9ryx/AABhhXschkObb3fAICBr02g2a?dl=0

https://mega.co.nz/#!dVMBgARI!Un9OitK-tT4_9iH1rfC0n8Gv5BZorT0yPKTX3Hutypg

There you go.

Corrected Inf. Generated Cat. Signed for Win 10 by leshcatlabs.net

Virtual USB Multikey 64bit driver:

%MultiKey.DeviceDesc%=MultiKey_Device, root\multikey

• 2 months later...

Hi, may I ask you a quesion? How do you have installed these drivers?

they say me that the inf is not self-installer

thank you

In Device Manager, right-click your computer at the top of the tree, select "Add legacy hardware" then in the wizard select:

Install hardware manually from a list > Show all devices > Have disk > Browse to folder with inf and driver files in it.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I did the runaround on win7 for my dongle to sidestep signing (running in "test mode"). Hesitating on the Win10 upgrade with regards to the unsigned driver.

-Will I need to override checking or did you actually sign it?

Thanks!

Frito

https://mega.co.nz/#!dVMBgARI!Un9OitK-tT4_9iH1rfC0n8Gv5BZorT0yPKTX3Hutypg

There you go.

Corrected Inf. Generated Cat. Signed for Win 10 by leshcatlabs.net

Virtual USB Multikey 64bit driver:

%MultiKey.DeviceDesc%=MultiKey_Device, root\multikey

Can you  re-link for this ?  Link is dead . I need to these files.

• 3 months later...

@FunkyMike

Thanks for the files, I used your files to install the drivers on Windows 10 Pro 64bit, however I'm getting "Not Enough Quota" and "not enough virtual memory or paging file quota" error in SafeNet USB Key properties in device manager, any solutions for this is appreciated.

7 minutes ago, shahab8 said:

@FunkyMike

Thanks for the files, I used your files to install the drivers on Windows 10 Pro 64bit, however I'm getting "Not Enough Quota" and "not enough virtual memory or paging file quota" error in SafeNet USB Key properties in device manager, any solutions for this is appreciated.

All I did was sign the driver that was given to me by flx9. I do not even have the device : )

This "not enough quota" issue ... does it occur for anyone else?  You might want to google the issue. 

You need to find out if this is driver bound and if anyone has the same issue. Maybe there is a newer driver that is needed.

2 hours ago, FunkyMike said:

All I did was sign the driver that was given to me by flx9. I do not even have the device : )

This "not enough quota" issue ... does it occur for anyone else?  You might want to google the issue. 

You need to find out if this is driver bound and if anyone has the same issue. Maybe there is a newer driver that is needed.

You're right, I'm trying to get a version history of the device/drivers, I'm aware that there are multiple versions available. I'll let you know. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • Brandon H locked this topic