Falcon 9 / Dragon CRS-7 ISS Resupply (mission thread)

FloatingFatMan

I didn't see it, what actually happened? Are the entire rocket & Dragon module destroyed?

DocM

Yes. Broke up just before S2 separation.

Of possible interest: there was supposedly a minor problem mating Dragon and S2 during the integration, but it was reportedly resolved. May or may not be related. We'll see. There's a presser at 1230 Local, maybe a tad later.

Jim K

I didn't see it, what actually happened? Are the entire rocket & Dragon module destroyed?

yep.  Went poof  ... about 2? minutes (forgot the exact time) into the flight.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
  • Like 1
FloatingFatMan

Crap! :(

Suddenly my "smell a rat" sense is tingling... With the senate hearings etc going on, the timing of this couldn't be worse...

DocM

There's speculation the IDA-1 broke loose in the Trunk, then it slammed into S2. That would explain Dragon breaking loose.

• Like 1
Jim K

About 3:15 in the first...2:30 in the second.

It just ceased to be.  

• Like 1
spy beef

And this is why you let the pros do it.

• Like 1
ks8877

Today is Elon Musk birthday... Coincidently very sad day today for him and for many of us...

devn00b

Really? like who? The others that have had their rockets explode as well?

SpaceX has a good track record, using innovative technologies to get us to space cheaper..the "pros" are stuck using cold war era thinking and tech will just keep us stagnant.

Dunno bout you but Id love to see a manned landing on mars before I kick the bucket.

• Like 3
DocM

If IDA-1 broke loose one cause could be that Boeing, who built it, may not have given it strong enough mounting lugs - so chill out with the trolling.

For the record: NASA just received another IDA, making two: IDA-2 and a spare, so it'll probably be put in the rotation for the next flight.

• Like 1
flyingskippy

I'm not going to say the s word, but Boeing, ULA, and Spacex...... It has to be on someone's mind.

• Like 1
DocM

It is, but Chris at NSF has said any mention of sabotage is ban-worthy.

What looks like Dragon flying off

post-58-0-23195200-1435505721_thumb.jpg

Jim K

DocM...what do you make of this?

Watching the video you can see the intensity of this "spot" get more intense until video breakup (started appearing around 2:25 in the second video I posted).  Sun reflection ... haul puncture (think Challenger's SRB..though without the solid fuel)?

Also appears briefly in the first video (second snapshot) ... about 3:16 until vehicle breakup.

post-21852-0-29262200-1435505991.jpg

post-21852-0-56691200-1435506388.jpg

• Like 2
flyingskippy

It is, but Chris at NSF has said any mention of sabotage is ban-worthy.

I whole heartedly agree. Until the data is reviewed everything is just speculation.

DocM

Looks like reflection. Whatever happened looked higher up at the S2/Trunk area. Most speculation is centering around the S2 LOX tank being punctured by IDA-1.

+Frank B.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
FloatingFatMan

counterintuitive cause

What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

DocM

Could be the IDA. We'll see.

Blaze_Zewi

All that hard work and $$$ gone in a few seconds :(

DocM

Spaceflight is hard

• Like 1
Draggendrop

I'm not going to say the s word, but Boeing, ULA, and Spacex...... It has to be on someone's mind.

My thoughts exactly............F9 performed well .........the upper "flashes"......?

bguy_1986

If IDA-1 broke loose one cause could be that Boeing, who built it, may not have given it strong enough mounting lugs

Will be interesting if that is the case.  I don't see Boeing taking responsibility for this if it's true.  Could get ugly.

Draggendrop

What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

Just my opinion....

When using analytical fault finding procedures, one gathers the data available and checks the "usual suspects". Normal suspects on first pass set aside.

They saw something with sensor readings which was 180 out of sync with what happened (blindsided)..........meaning...........outside cause.......and will not be divulged until a lot of collaborating evidence is available.......legal liability for false statement.......they know but cannot say just yet.........and I think a few of us have a hunch as well.

+therealDamien

I heard it and thought it was thunder and even my cheap house windows rattled.

• Like 1