Current trends for web development?

Question

Sup neowin and pals! Until 10 months ago I thought I had a grasp of Web Technology. Knowing whiz terms like Responsive Web Design, HTML 5, CSS3, jQuery and CMS I thought I had knowledge of what was going on. That's when a friend told me to try out something different than PHP and Drupal, and learn ASP.NET MVC for an upcoming project.

OMG. I've felt that I've been living under a rock. This forced me to understand different concepts, frameworks and platforms: In which we include: Dependency Injection (Inversion of Control), MVC (Which got popular thanks to Ruby on Rails), RESTful apps, RESS (Responsive Web Design + Server Side), Node.js (NPM, grunt, gulp) Angular, Backbone, Knockout, github, bootstrap, Web API, React.js, Animate CSS. Cross Site Script Forgery, Debugging sessions in Web Browsers, Agile Web Development, truthful understanding of OOP (I finally understood why was PHP never considered a truly OOP programming language) and many many many much more things.

Now that Microsoft has forked Node.js and applied the Chakra engine underneath it, Node.js will get full traction in the upcoming months.

So... I think I'm living under a rock. What is worse is that they are concepts that originated YEARS AGO!

I'm also on the brim of killing myself for all these tools. I just know little of them, but I also feel the responsibility of knowing how to work with them. My friend told me to take it easy and work with what I need now.

So I'm asking what are the current trends of web development that I'm also missing that they're very important?

Thanks!

I'm also fearing of going into an Analysis-Paralysis for the fear of not doing it "by the standards".

I usually stick with HTML5/CSS3/Angular/jQuery.  However 99.9% of web development I do at work is ASP.NET

I'm still trying to learn jQuery. It hurts my brain. My current task is VB.Net. Using WPF instead of Microsoft's version of it.

I ordered a book, and I'm hoping to master it by the end of the year. I've got a lot of programs I want to code, just don't have a good teacher to help me.

The project I work on is an ASP.NET MVC application.  Our new application will also be an MVC application as well.  It also has some fairly heavy jquery as well along with using bootstrap, SQL Server, Entity Framework and RavenDB.  It's become my favorite platform, especially over classic asp.net.  Like sbauer said, it varies from location to location.  Here around Memphis, it's a big .NET market here along with Java.  Those are probably the 2 biggest areas recruiters look for people in.  If you have mobile experience (iOS or Android) that would help too.  I hardly ever see any ruby/php/whatever's trendy right now projects in corporate environments though (maybe php, but the others, not so much).

My current task is VB.Net. Using WPF instead of Microsoft's version of it.

So not web at all then?

I hardly ever see any ruby/php/whatever's trendy right now projects in corporate environments though (maybe php, but the others, not so much).

Agreed. I have just started seeing some NodeJs come in now but it's nowhere near ready for primetime - maybe just POC's.

It's difficult for any new platform to come in really. We have so many tools and libraries for Java/.Net that it doesn't make a lot of sense to move away.

These are the current big picture trends that I'm seeing in the industry.

Basically what he said answers the OP.

The project I work on is an ASP.NET MVC application.  Our new application will also be an MVC application as well.  It also has some fairly heavy jquery as well along with using bootstrap, SQL Server, Entity Framework and RavenDB.  It's become my favorite platform, especially over classic asp.net.  Like sbauer said, it varies from location to location.  Here around Memphis, it's a big .NET market here along with Java.  Those are probably the 2 biggest areas recruiters look for people in.  If you have mobile experience (iOS or Android) that would help too.  I hardly ever see any ruby/php/whatever's trendy right now projects in corporate environments though (maybe php, but the others, not so much).

We did a couple MVC Projects here.  Microsoft however has started phasing out MVC in favor of the Entity Framework which handles the entire model structure.  Controllers can then be written as code-behind and the views driven off that.  so while it's still "MVC" it's not an MVC Style project.

I'm still trying to learn jQuery. It hurts my brain. My current task is VB.Net. Using WPF instead of Microsoft's version of it.

I ordered a book, and I'm hoping to master it by the end of the year. I've got a lot of programs I want to code, just don't have a good teacher to help me.

the way to think of jQuery is to think DOM manipulation.  It's great for making stuff that is already there.. change.  Like I find it is good for sticking html into an existing page, making a header bar correctly set the active page in it's list of pages (if using a master header), that sort of thing.  I am sure it has plenty more uses than that.. but that is what I use it for.

As much as people knock it as sloppy/slow/hard to learn I am really starting to like Angular as a replacement for 90% of what I do in jQuery and since it follows closer to a MVC style I find I can get a lot more power out of the sites than I do with straight jQuery.

We did a couple MVC Projects here.  Microsoft however has started phasing out MVC in favor of the Entity Framework which handles the entire model structure.  Controllers can then be written as code-behind and the views driven off that.  so while it's still "MVC" it's not an MVC Style project.

Microsoft isn't phasing it out. The model part is just open to interpretation. Some look at it as a domain model, which EF would handle, while others think it means view models, which EF wouldn't handle. Quite frequently, it makes more sense to pass down view models than the actual entity models.

the way to think of jQuery is to think DOM manipulation.  It's great for making stuff that is already there.. change.  Like I find it is good for sticking html into an existing page, making a header bar correctly set the active page in it's list of pages (if using a master header), that sort of thing.  I am sure it has plenty more uses than that.. but that is what I use it for.

As much as people knock it as sloppy/slow/hard to learn I am really starting to like Angular as a replacement for 90% of what I do in jQuery and since it follows closer to a MVC style I find I can get a lot more power out of the sites than I do with straight jQuery.

Agreed. I think the problem with jQuery is you can do so much with it. I have seen a lot of sites where jQuery is used and abused with tags created and moved and edited all over the place. You end up with a mess of event handlers with code all over the place which makes it very hard to maintain. I still use jQuery and it works very well, but people seem to be using for things it wasn't meant for - that's where something like Angular (or one of the million alternatives) should come in.

Microsoft isn't being phased it. The model part is just open to interpretation. Some look at it as a domain model, which EF would handle, while others think it means view models, which EF wouldn't handle. Quite frequently, it makes more sense to pass down view models than the actual entity models.

That's how I view it.  The "model" is being handled by EF now, but I still have another project that I use for ViewModels, which is usually what gets passed to the page (and also returned to the controller).  We use Telerik's Kendo UI controls, and if you have relational mappings in your model, things like the grid just do not like the model being passed in, so I have to use a ViewModel in order to get it to play nicely (this is another conversation though).  Overall, MVC is still "MVC", it's just that the "M" is handled by a different framework, but the concept is still the same overall.  Then there's MVVM (like what Silverlight used), which actually introduced me to the MVC like design pattern.  Overall it works very well though.  ASP.NET MVC has been really fun to work with (minus the growing pains of learning what keeps getting changed or added with each new version, like I "still" don't understand Areas yet).

Having worked on a Node.js project it's fun but not stable enough for prime time, internal projects maybe but not public facing. Same with Docker and containerisation which seem to be very buzzy but not solid enough although love the idea of Heroku style deployments.

I know how you feel about .NET but I still prefer the classics. I'm a big fan on minimalist code that is well written and tidy that I can quickly understand and you control the interaction with.

Remember that learning anything is a gamble, my favourite framework is now no longer being supported but things like php will hopefully never go out of fashion.

So not web at all then?

Agreed. I have just started seeing some NodeJs come in now but it's nowhere near ready for primetime - maybe just POC's.

It's difficult for any new platform to come in really. We have so many tools and libraries for Java/.Net that it doesn't make a lot of sense to move away.

No, I do, do web stuff. I just lack any motivational drive right now. I need a graphics artist to do a logo for me, but I don't know anyone. I can design the site, I just hate Illustrator for logos. Makes me want to stab someone consistently for hours.

I plan on combining SQL + PHP + VB .Net into a program for a friends Game Server he runs, and eventually building a C++ version for Linux/Windows.

I'm going to see if Raphael wants a auto-updater for his Dopamine project, and if he does, work towards that. Makes it easier for him to update things. :)

I have a desire to learn, but not having someone available to explain things, point you in the right direction, it's really hard. I need a C++/C# teacher.

Yup. Totally lost at the DOM part.

I have a desire to learn, but not having someone available to explain things, point you in the right direction, it's really hard. I need a C++/C# teacher.

Do yourself a favor and learn the C# syntax right now. You know VB.NET so you're literally, for the most part, just learning another syntax. 

If you're in this for the long haul, you need to work on the self teaching thing. That doesn't mean go out and read a book. You can read blogs, watch screencasts or conference videos. The problem is that you won't always have someone around to guide you. VB.NET to C# would be a nice opportunity for you to work on this.

No, I do, do web stuff. I just lack any motivational drive right now. I need a graphics artist to do a logo for me, but I don't know anyone. I can design the site, I just hate Illustrator for logos. Makes me want to stab someone consistently for hours.

I plan on combining SQL + PHP + VB .Net into a program for a friends Game Server he runs, and eventually building a C++ version for Linux/Windows.

I'm going to see if Raphael wants a auto-updater for his Dopamine project, and if he does, work towards that. Makes it easier for him to update things. :)

Yup. Totally lost at the DOM part.

The DOM is pretty much the page.  Your Div's,  your tags, whatever is rendered on the page itself.

Hint: go mobile, design the next flappy bird and start milking the cash cow...

Hah. I'm actually accumulating ideas for a game I've been wanting to make since I was 9 years old. 17 years of thinking about it. The game was called Helbreath. I wanted to re-create it into a 3D Game. Have it PvP Oriented, hit all the ranges. Create content for the non-competitive players. Something that is still enjoyable but doesn't require too much time. But also create the hardcore raider style or pvp. I wanted to incorporate ideas from Conquer Online, World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Ragnarok Online, and Eudemons Online.

The DOM is pretty much the page.  Your Div's,  your tags, whatever is rendered on the page itself.

Ahhh. Funny, I've never heard the reference of "DOM" before. Whats it stand for?

Do yourself a favor and learn the C# syntax right now. You know VB.NET so you're literally, for the most part, just learning another syntax. 

If you're in this for the long haul, you need to work on the self teaching thing. That doesn't mean go out and read a book. You can read blogs, watch screencasts or conference videos. The problem is that you won't always have someone around to guide you. VB.NET to C# would be a nice opportunity for you to work on this.

I have classes available from Udemy, Cybrary, and a few other places. I just can't seem to remember things. I do have Short Term Memory Loss (STML), and that doesn't help at all. Got any resources you can send my way?

I just bought the WPF 4 Book from Amazon. I'm going to study through it, and then grab some C# books. I learn better when I have a physical copy in my hand. Sitting at a desk or staring at a screen drives me away from it. I sit on my arse for 8 hours a day, and staring at 3 - 5 monitors for work really puts a damper on things.

Ahhh. Funny, I've never heard the reference of "DOM" before. Whats it stand for?

Document Object Model

Hah. I'm actually accumulating ideas for a game I've been wanting to make since I was 9 years old. 17 years of thinking about it. The game was called Helbreath. I wanted to re-create it into a 3D Game. Have it PvP Oriented, hit all the ranges. Create content for the non-competitive players. Something that is still enjoyable but doesn't require too much time. But also create the hardcore raider style or pvp. I wanted to incorporate ideas from Conquer Online, World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Ragnarok Online, and Eudemons Online.

I have classes available from Udemy, Cybrary, and a few other places. I just can't seem to remember things. I do have Short Term Memory Loss (STML), and that doesn't help at all. Got any resources you can send my way?

I just bought the WPF 4 Book from Amazon. I'm going to study through it, and then grab some C# books. I learn better when I have a physical copy in my hand. Sitting at a desk or staring at a screen drives me away from it. I sit on my arse for 8 hours a day, and staring at 3 - 5 monitors for work really puts a damper on things.

Since you have short memory, all you do is study over and over until you remember them very well.  So you don't need to study again unless you need to if you forget again in near future.  Udemy is good.. You are able to study anytime so you can remember them again.

Even with the practices over and over so you will be able to code quick enough in short time whatever you have in your mind that help you speed up. If not, you can always go back to Udemy to study again or look up at your saved code notebook you wrote for references.

Since you have short memory, all you do is study over and over until you remember them very well.  So you don't need to study again unless you need to if you forget again in near future.  Udemy is good.. You are able to study anytime so you can remember them again.

Even with the practices over and over so you will be able to code quick enough in short time whatever you have in your mind that help you speed up. If not, you can always go back to Udemy to study again or look up at your saved code notebook you wrote for references.

That's generally what I do for generic subjects like Math, Science, etc.. I find programming to be a fair bit harder to do, but I'll take it one step at a time. Raphael, Dopamine creator, is helping me with WPF and learning that end. Something that'll be nifty for when I learn another language!

That's generally what I do for generic subjects like Math, Science, etc.. I find programming to be a fair bit harder to do, but I'll take it one step at a time. Raphael, Dopamine creator, is helping me with WPF and learning that end. Something that'll be nifty for when I learn another language!

Good luck.

Helbreath was the ######.  I played the crap out of that game when I was like 12-15.  HB-Int I was in some sick guilds... hell I even remember some of the players (Wolfie).  I also used to run my own private server too.   I totally have had the same want as you for a good while now.  Less focus on the PVP but still it being a main part more on the idea of crafting and such.

Helbreath was the ######.  I played the crap out of that game when I was like 12-15.  HB-Int I was in some sick guilds... hell I even remember some of the players (Wolfie).  I also used to run my own private server too.   I totally have had the same want as you for a good while now.  Less focus on the PVP but still it being a main part more on the idea of crafting and such.

Good to see another player still have the desire to see an exceptional game be made. My other thought for it was to have it educational as well. Take parts from History, Myths, Legends, and make them into Quest Lines, Bosses, Raids, etc.. The game world would be based off of Earth, and it's geography. Every time I come up with a bad ### idea, I write it down.

We've gotten a bit off topic though, haha.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:32 AM, BarneyJ said:

Try to look here http://djangostars.com/blog/ . These guys've got a lot of interesting stuff, u might 've missed smth.
Good luck!)

Nice. This is an old post. What I'm doing right now is that I subscribed to lots of YouTube channels (O'Reilly Media, Google Chrome Developers, JSConf, Thoughtworks) and I'm visiting infoq.com, asp.net blog, and I feel that I'm less behind than before!

Thanks for sharing!.