• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'Black' NAACP Leader outed as white woman

chrisj1968    1,417

The Irish were slaves interesting piece here: http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/. There were many slaves. The differences which cause generational damage are ... deep and psychological, IMO African slavery was worst. Physically, not so much really, when you look at the history. African slaves were much too valuable (right place and the right time) to be treated as badly as many others who were enslaved.

Technically, her DNA could be checked and if she has even one half of 1% negroid in her .... what then? lol.

however he parents, her biological parents, vouched for the fact she isn't black per the article. its as if she's feeding off this "white guilt." All I can say is, she's getting her tanya harding moment. the mayor is investigating her application and documents. she could see some jailtime.

Sure, but quite a few people seem to be getting more het up over her skin colour than her being a liar and a fraud.

kind of like the shell game.. distraction.

+LogicalApex    1,747

It's based on regional place of family origin and to some degree state generated birth records. The Federal standards were upgraded in 1997 and implemented in the 2000 census. States and employers use the Federal definitions.

Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Statistical Policy Directive 15 Race and Ethnic Standards for Federal Statistics and Administrative Reporting.

That didn't answer the question I asked based on the assertion you made. You made an assertion that there are criminal charges that can be levied for falsely identifying one's race. My question is simple... How is this determined?

The US Census uses the OMB directive as the definitions of accepted race. The US Census doesn't tell anyone what race they are. The person being enumerated in the census determines what race they see themselves as...

The Census enumerator is a Federal employee and falsifying data to a Census Employee is a violation of https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001''>18 U.S. Code

DocM    16,342

AIUI your basic fraud and lying on a government form, which if her drivers license says "black" applies.

For Federal purposes it is Title 18, but the lie doesn't have to a govt. employee so long as it's "within the jurisdiction". Most states have similar laws.

MorganX    1,044

however he parents, her biological parents, vouched for the fact she isn't black per the article. its as if she's feeding off this "white guilt." All I can say is, she's getting her tanya harding moment. the mayor is investigating her application and documents. she could see some jailtime.

I don't know about "white guilt." She may actually feel like she can do the job, and want to do the job. As FatMan has stated, it has evolved into being more than an organization for the advancement of colored people (blacks.)

I doubt jail time, that would be somewhat stupid. At the end of the day, this is a good, and very progressive occurrence IMO.

• Like 1

+LogicalApex    1,747

AIUI your basic fraud and lying on a government form, which if her drivers license says "black" applies.

For Federal purposes it is Title 18, but the lie doesn't have to a govt. employee so long as it's "within the jurisdiction". Most states have similar laws.

I know what the statute I cited states. You still have yet to validate your initial claim...

DocM    16,342

No, you have to validate your counter claim. That a non-govt. employee can have you fill out a form and if you misrepresent in it there's a crime occurs every time a firearm is purchased. The dealer gives you the purchase form, and lying on it is a Federal crime. Misrepresent to an employee and its no different. Ask Martha Stewart. Its true for any US govt. form and states are no different.

LakeRat    53

JUNE 15--The NAACP official who today resigned in the face of evidence that she masqueraded as black once sued Howard University for denying her teaching posts and a scholarship because she was a white woman, The Smoking Gun has learned.

Rachel Dolezal, 37, who headed the NAACP

T3X4S    4,532

We at the NAAWASP will hold a press conference in the following days announcing we will reject the application of Rachel Dolezal as our leader.  After much deliberation, we have decided since she does not identify with WASP, we cannot accept her application if the advancement of WASP is our primary goal.  Therefore, we have posthumously elected Michael Jackson.

• Like 1

T3X4S    4,532

This is more true that just about anyone is willing to admit and I also say this from experience. I even had one tell me he would never room with a black man who was not from Africa.

I've had the same experience talking to Africans. What observations I've heard from them about US black leaders were not positive at all.

Exactly.

My neighbors had exchange students from Zaire, and somewhere else in Africa (Zimbabwe maybe ?)  They said they though blacks in America were spoiled, criminals who expected everything, but willing to do nothing.  They thought it was an insult they wanted to be referred to as African Americans when none of them have ever been to Africa, or knew anything about Africa.  He was very opinionated about the topic, and said it is a commonly held belief over there - simply do not like blacks in America.

They decided to bring the family over as a "gift" and I was told none of them identified with blacks over here.   Too Funny

• Like 2

sidroc    1,199

Exactly.

My neighbors had exchange students from Zaire, and somewhere else in Africa (Zimbabwe maybe ?) They said they though blacks in America were spoiled, criminals who expected everything, but willing to do nothing. They thought it was an insult they wanted to be referred to as African Americans when none of them have ever been to Africa, or knew anything about Africa. He was very opinionated about the topic, and said it is a commonly held belief over there - simply do not like blacks in America.

They decided to bring the family over as a "gift" and I was told none of them identified with blacks over here. Too Funny

I recall once a French black woman I knew (forget the country) got called "sister" by an American black. The response was aggressive and angry saying "I'm not your sister b****, you have never been to Africa and you don't know what it's like to work hard. I came here with nothing and I'm miles ahead of you!"
  • Like 2

T3X4S    4,532

I recall once a French black woman I knew (forget the country) got called "sister" by an American black. The response was aggressive and angry saying "I'm not your sister b****, you have never been to Africa and you don't know what it's like to work hard. I came here with nothing and I'm miles ahead of you!"

One gentleman I knew from Nigeria - spoke fluent french, spanish, his native, and english.  I played chess with him a lot - he was a good player.  He did not like anybody like we are describing - especially the women - he would always say "I will never date a black girl, thats disgusting !"  of course we always LOL'd at that.  Basically, it was just as you described - they do not like black Americans.  Too funny IMO

• Like 1

+LogicalApex    1,747

One gentleman I knew from Nigeria - spoke fluent french, spanish, his native, and english.  I played chess with him a lot - he was a good player.  He did not like anybody like we are describing - especially the women - he would always say "I will never date a black girl, thats disgusting !"  of course we always LOL'd at that.  Basically, it was just as you described - they do not like black Americans.  Too funny IMO

I fail to see the humor here. Obviously, descendants of slavery will lack a cultural connection to their ancestral lands. Slavery robbed them of this connection. To insult them further by laughing at them for not being culturally connected to Africa while not being fully accepted in America is egregious at minimum.

Immigrants are generally harder working than most. It takes a bit more gusto to get off your duff and nice to another land in hopes of improvement. So, yes they will have more drive than a typical American, irrespective of race.

My wife is 1st generation Dutch Canadian and she has additionally immigrated to the U.S. She will tell you that white Americans are similar lazy and not motivated and don't work hard. But she, and her family, have the drive of an immigrant. Not a live at home with mom browsing reddit...

sidroc    1,199

I fail to see the humor here. Obviously, descendants of slavery will lack a cultural connection to their ancestral lands. Slavery robbed them of this connection. To insult them further by laughing at them for not being culturally connected to Africa while not being fully accepted in America is egregious at minimum.

Immigrants are generally harder working than most. It takes a bit more gusto to get off your duff and nice to another land in hopes of improvement. So, yes they will have more drive than a typical American, irrespective of race.

My wife is 1st generation Dutch Canadian and she has additionally immigrated to the U.S. She will tell you that white Americans are similar lazy and not motivated and don't work hard. But she, and her family, have the drive of an immigrant. Not a live at home with mom browsing reddit...

The Foreign Africans were the ones insulted and responding to it in their eyes. They basically would say that they did not like all the 'complaining' (their word not mine) and would say that they experience the very same racism but that it did not stop them. I heard one even say that he felt that they made Africans look bad. They also would say that none of them would be bothered by t except that american blacks always try to directly equate their lives and struggles with theirs in conversation and this upsets them. You are right in saying an immigrant has more drive then most though and that this partly explains the disconnect.

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    17,965

Well, y'know... There's absolutely nothing stopping them from getting off their duff's and reconnecting with their heritage if that's what they want to do.  It's the ones that bemoan what happened to their ancestors and they do sod all about it that are the problem.  Get off your butts and reconnect you lazy sods! No one's going to do it for you!

• Like 3

+LogicalApex    1,747

Well, y'know... There's absolutely nothing stopping them from getting off their duff's and reconnecting with their heritage if that's what they want to do.  It's the ones that bemoan what happened to their ancestors and they do sod all about it that are the problem.  Get off your butts and reconnect you lazy sods! No one's going to do it for you!

Honestly, I'm rarely offended, but thanks for hitting that rare cord. 

As a descendent of slavery, I'd appreciate you explaining to me how you would, from my shoes, go about doing this? For starters, you might need a slight geography lesson. Africa is a continent not a country and is one of the largest on the planet. It consists of over 55 different countries and even more different cultural and ethic backgrounds and histories.

Your ignorant statement is basically "hey all of you dark skinned apes are the same. Pick any random country in Africa and make it your cultural history. You're all alike anyway!"

That goes without even considering the problems the continent has faced by being ravaged by colonialism...

Sometimes I am astounded by the stupidity I encounter...

• Like 2

+Raze    16,216

As a descendent of slavery, I'd appreciate you explaining to me how you would, from my shoes, go about doing this? For starters, you might need a slight geography lesson. Africa is a continent not a country and is one of the largest on the planet. It consists of over 55 different countries and even more different cultural and ethic backgrounds and histories.

Your ignorant statement is basically "hey all of you dark skinned apes are the same. Pick any random country in Africa and make it your cultural history. You're all alike anyway!"

That goes without even considering the problems the continent has faced by being ravaged by colonialism...

How about using using family oral histories and traditional genealogical and DNA testing?  Seems to be quite popular.  Here's a site: http://www.africanancestry.com/home/

And another - https://www.africandna.com/

+LogicalApex    1,747

How about using using family oral histories and traditional genealogical and DNA testing?  Seems to be quite popular.  Here's a site: http://www.africanancestry.com/home/

Oral histories won't get you very far and genetic testing is more of a snake oil than anything...

My family is direct descendents of slaves. They were sold and transferred around like cattle without care given to records of to who or to where...

There is a need to come to terms with the reality of Slavery and that one of its unfortunate byproducts is the severed historical and cultural connection of those who were forced to suffer in it. Like so many of its ill effects this is but another one...

My point simply is that the story of descendents of slavery is a unique story. A lot like an orphan, we are a people without a cultural and historic home other than that of slavery. We have as much of a connection of Africa as the rest of humanity. We all trace our origins to Africa. We don't have the connections to distinct nations and cultures because Slavery did a great job of severing those connections.

• Like 1

+Raze    16,216

Oral histories won't get you very far and genetic testing is more of a snake oil than anything...

My family is direct descendents of slaves. They were sold and transferred around like cattle without care given to records of to who or to where...

There is a need to come to terms with the reality of Slavery and that one of its unfortunate byproducts is the severed historical and cultural connection of those who were forced to suffer in it. Like so many of its ill effects this is but another one...

My point simply is that the story of descendents of slavery is a unique story. A lot like an orphan, we are a people without a cultural and historic home other than that of slavery. We have as much of a connection of Africa as the rest of humanity. We all trace our origins to Africa. We don't have the connections to distinct nations and cultures because Slavery did a great job of severing those connections.

I have to say thank you for your response.  I have learned something about an aspect of slavery, to be honest, I hadn't considered.   The sharp and stinging disconnect, not of your own making, so many African-Americans have with their ancestry.  I had taken it for granted in knowing about mine and when I gave it thought I realized I was grateful to know a great deal of my family's history. 

• Like 2

FloatingFatMan    17,965

Put words in your OWN mouth, pal, not mine.

I said none of those things, and your imagining so doesn't make it so.  If you want to connect with your ancestral roots, do what anyone else does. Go to the library and start learning. Travelling there isn't necessary.

• Like 1

chrisj1968    1,417

I worked in an MWR club in Giessen Germany years ago. I worked with a man from ghana who had to flee because its dictator put a hit out on his life. he took asylum in Germany.

Anyway, an argument ensued whereby a black guy from the US got into a shouting match. the guy from ghana told the american black man that he is african. at whihc the American black guy insisted he wasn't African.

after the argument was finally over and I commented to my ghana fella that its strange if he isn't african, then how can he refernce or acknowledge himself as an AFRICAN American? we both got a good laugh.

the hyposcrisy of come folks.

FloatingFatMan    17,965

You make it sound like African Americans are the only victims of slavery in the world.  Sorry, but slavery has existed for as long as man has existed, and it will continue to exist for many years yet.  Being the descendant of slaves doesn't make you special, it just makes you one of billions.

Besides which, for all you know, your ancestors were sold into slavery by their OWN village chiefs. It happened quite a lot you know. The evil white man isn't the only one to blame for all that happened as the Africans were just as happy to enslave each other or sell their fellows on to the white man.  The real difference between the two is that the western white man eventually stopped.

• Like 4

Intersect    238

You make it sound like African Americans are the only victims of slavery in the world.  Sorry, but slavery has existed for as long as man has existed, and it will continue to exist for many years yet.  Being the descendant of slaves doesn't make you special, it just makes you one of billions.

Besides which, for all you know, your ancestors were sold into slavery by their OWN village chiefs. It happened quite a lot you know. The evil white man isn't the only one to blame for all that happened as the Africans were just as happy to enslave each other or sell their fellows on to the white man.  The real difference between the two is that the western white man eventually stopped.

it still happens even today, it might not be on the same level as what we have come to know about slavery but it does continue to be part of our world and will most likely will continue up to the point the earth becomes inhabitable, by which point man would have colonised another exo plaent or perhaps mars and the cycle will continue, as long as there is money to be made man will always find the cheapest way to get the task done.

redfish    560

On the color talk -- 

Color isn't defined by the 'spectral colors', though. If that were true then technically IR and UV would be colors, too, and the fact that we couldn't see them wouldn't matter. In technical terms, 'hue' is the aspect of color that represents the degree of a 'pure color' like RGBY, and a 'color' can include tint and shade. So dark blue is one color and light blue is one color. "Off white" is a color as is "ivory white", as is "jet black" or "charcoal grey/black".

:o so yea

compl3x    6,290

Didn't she also claim Jesus was a witness at her birth or something? It sounds like mental illness might be afoot.