Nokia 1020: Buy one now, or no?

Hey guys,

Any Nokia 1020 owners left yet? There's several for sale on Amazon, and I was thinking of picking one up with the camera pack. I'd love to have one around for using as a camera, but would it be wise to purchase one now? I'm worried that with Windows Phone falling to the wayside at Microsoft, photography has all but been abandoned there too. Cameras on the Lumias as of late aren't the best anymore. :(

Using phone from more serious photography? you must be joking.

Why not? A lot of great pictures can be captured with smartphones. You could consider smartphone photography its own thing.

Why not? A lot of great pictures can be captured with smartphones. You could consider smartphone photography its own thing.

Yeah, and you could consider potato photography its own thing too.

• Like 1

If you are serious about photography, get a real camera. Smartphones are great for replacing your P&S cameras, but they can't replace DSLR's or Micro4/3 camera. You will learn much more about photography if you get an actual camera. I'd recommend getting a DSLR or micro4/3's camera, and also the 1020's successor as your next smartphone. You will have the best of both worlds.

Using phone from more serious photography? you must be joking.

I can take pictures with my 1020 that could easily be mistaken as taken with my D7000. 

it is a VERY good camera, so good it doesn't compare to any other cell phone camera. the drawback is that the 1020 has a fairly slow processor which makes it slow to process the pictures you take.

At this point in time, I would wait for the replacement that should be right around the corner. unfortunately I couldn't wait, and now I have a Z3. which for any other cell phone has a great camera, but... it's really ###### compared to my 1020 :( amidst many other drawbacks of android, like the horrible storage setup. 

Hey guys,

Any Nokia 1020 owners left yet? There's several for sale on Amazon, and I was thinking of picking one up with the camera pack. I'd love to have one around for using as a camera, but would it be wise to purchase one now? I'm worried that with Windows Phone falling to the wayside at Microsoft, photography has all but been abandoned there too. Cameras on the Lumias as of late aren't the best anymore. :(

Windows phone is not going to the Wayside  at all .  Why do you think  Windows  10 is gonna be pushed to phones  later  on  after Windows 10  is pushed for  Pcs   and such   

Windows phone is not going to the Wayside at all . Why do you think Windows 10 is gonna be pushed to phones later on after Windows 10 is pushed for Pcs and such

They were quick to abandon their Lumia line, and Windows Phone 8.1.

With Microsoft's boner for Android, and their prompt cancellation of the McLaren project after buying Nokia, I'm honeslty worried there won't be a 1020 successor, or outstanding hardware with Windows 10. Microsoft's more worried about turning tail and running backwards, which means cheap, featureless camera phones more inline with the iPhone or Galaxy.

huh.... wut...

Lumia 1020 and 1520 are no longer on sale. They gave up the ghost with flagships. A majority of Windows Phone 8.1 users also never got the Denim update, either. I'm personally still on Cyan.

Microsoft is busy right now getting Windows 10 out the door, so no new flagships will be coming out soon. As soon as 10 Mobile is ready, you will see new flagships and hopefully a successor to 1020. I love mine but I would wait, at this moment, for the next version (hopefully, there will be one).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

an unregrettable experience for those who have purchased it. never miss a moment with the 42 megapixel phone. Also, its connectivity is simple for vpn, tetheering and bluetooth. Definitely worth the buy. 

I'm gonna defend Dot on this one. I'm the owner of a LG G3 32GB version with a great camera. I also am the owner of a Canon T2i with 2 lens.

3 things

1) When I want a really good camera to take a really great high quality picture with TONS of detail i'm always happy I have my Canon T2i.

2) For the rest of the time i'm extremely happy how great the photos look on my phone. It's like having a really nice camera with me all the time and the share to flickr from the phone is a greart time saver

3) The photo below is one of my favorite photos I've taken recently and that includes ones with my DSLR and a this photo was taken with the G3

18623945793_b055ce6d8e_c.jpg

Did you get it Dot? Personally my next phone will be at least 5-inches, I have the Lumia 925 now and the 4.5" screen is small compared to most phones on the market now :p

Did you get it Dot? Personally my next phone will be at least 5-inches, I have the Lumia 925 now and the 4.5" screen is small compared to most phones on the market now :p

I Know right? I poo Poo'ed 5'5 inch screens for the longers times saying 4.5 was the sweet spot. But now I love my 5'5