Weird suspend issue

Hi guys. I got a really weird issue with a notebook (a Sony Vaio VGN-FW11S) and I was wondering what would cause this, since I couldn't find anything similar. So the suspend function works fine, the notebook goes to sleep, but when I try to wake it up (either via the power button or any button), it basically behaves like it was shut down, so it just starts from scratch instead of resuming. You may wonder if the notebook really goes to sleep in the first place. Well, there's a led that constantly fades in and out while the notebook is suspended, and I also checked the log, everything seems fine.

There might be some more info. I usually keep the notebook in suspend for many hours (12-15 hours), but one time I resumed it about one hour after and it DID work as it should.

What could be the problem?

It may go into suspension, then later goes into hibernation, to save battery life.

It may go into suspension, then later goes into hibernation, to save battery life.

That's not the case, because the notebook is always plugged in. In fact, I removed the battery, it was dead long ago. And even if that were the case, shouldn't the hibernation keep you last session? I just get a reboot, basically...

Yes, seriously?  :s

Jesus...of course I did, that's how you define WHAT the power button does, or what happens when the lid is closed...

^ Advanced settings?

What's the big deal, the PC does turn on eventually doesn't it?

It's a big deal if you put it to sleep half way through an important task .. you expect when it resumes that it .. well .. resumes and doesn't do a clean boot.

Is there anything put in %SystemRoot%\Minidump when the computer boots back up?  If so this would likely suggest when it goes to sleep it's faulting and thus restarting when you wake it up.

It's a big deal if you put it to sleep half way through an important task .. you expect when it resumes that it .. well .. resumes and doesn't do a clean boot.

Is there anything put in %SystemRoot%\Minidump when the computer boots back up?  If so this would likely suggest when it goes to sleep it's faulting and thus restarting when you wake it up.

Well this is why the moderator should've keep the thread in the Linux section... I don't have Windows on it, just Linux :)

Well this is why the moderator should've keep the thread in the Linux section... I don't have Windows on it, just Linux :)

D'oh.  Didn't see it was moved and didn't see any mention of Linux in your original post.  In which case I will bow out ... I'm a Windows junkie through-and-through.  Best of luck getting to the bottom of this odd one

I posted the thread in the Linux section, so I thought it should be clear that I'm using Linux. Anyway, if it matters, I'm on elementary OS Freya 64bit.

Exactly. It's also about speed, resuming takes a lot less time than a reboot. :)