• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Official SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition

Emn1ty    4,060
7 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Competition can only be a good thing. The more people jumping in the more likely it will become a reality.

• Like 3

+Mirumir    5,635
1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

Competition can only be a good thing. The more people jumping in the more likely it will become a reality.

Agreed, however, Russia isn't competing with Hyperloop One. On the contrary, Russia is an investor of the project.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,667

Awesome development ... Russia creating their own type of Hyperloop will help advance the overall technology. I support these efforts in every way possible. :yes:

• Like 3

DocM    16,539
5 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Agreed, however, Russia isn't competing with Hyperloop One. On the contrary, Russia is an investor of the project.

Yup. The CEO of Summa Group, who is also the lead of of Russia's Caspian Venture Capital (an investor in Uber), the UAE and India are also in.  

• Like 4

Niiiice. I like where the situation is headed. :D Good, solid backing and the Universities that are participating have been enthusiastic with some pretty good approaches in their own right. Wonderful project and I anticipate very positive developments quite quickly.

• Like 1

Draggendrop    5,747

This post is not related to SpaceX, but I thought I would put it here, since it is Hyperloop one...may need another thread later...

Test Track for Ultra-Fast 'Hyperloop' Transit System Unveiled

image003.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none

The Hyperloop One test track, dubbed the DevLoop, will be made up of a series of tubes that will extend 1,640 feet (500 meters).
Credit: Hyperloop One

This week, the startup revealed the first images of the DevLoop during the Middle East Rail conference in Dubai.

The images show the track cutting across the desert landscape, at a site located about 30 minutes from Las Vegas. The DevLoop tube is about 1,640 feet (500 meters) long and 10.8 feet (3.3 m) in diameter.

"Our team of more than 150 engineers, technicians and fabricators have been transforming what was, just over five months ago, a barren stretch of desert, into a hive of activity and now home to the world's first full-scale Hyperloop test site," Josh Giegel, president of engineering and co-founder of Hyperloop One, said at the conference, according to a company statement.

The DevLoop serves as a proof of concept, and will act as a test site for the Hyperloop transportation technology. According to the company, a public test run with the DevLoop will occur sometime in the first half of this year.

The test track also serves as preparation for Hyperloop One's planned construction of its first commercial installation, which will run between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the company said. About 4,000 vehicles travel between the two Middle East cities every day, Hyperloop One estimates, and traffic congestion in Dubai amounts to $800 million in lost working hours. The Hyperloop system could offer a safer, lower-maintenance and less energy-intensive transportation option, and it could also drastically reduce commuters' travel time, the company said. With Hyperloop technology, the roughly 100-mile (160 kilometers) distance between the cities could be traversed in just 12 minutes, according to Hyperloop One.

image007.jpeg?1488949577?interpolation=l

A bird's eye view of the Hyperloop One test track in the Nevada desert.

The new high-speed transit system is the first major revolution in transportation in more than a century, CEO of Hyperloop One Rob Lloyd said at the conference in Dubai.

"While technology is revolutionizing many facets of our lives, we have not seen a radical change in transportation since the Wright brothers introduced air travel over 100 years ago," Lloyd said. "Tying together the Middle East region would produce greater virtual density, without congestion and pollution, spurring innovation, productivity, job growth and more powerful sharing of knowledge, labor and investment."

Lloyd also added that a Hyperloop network in the region could make any major city in the Gulf Cooperation Council (with member states that include Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates) accessible within 1 hour.

http://www.livescience.com/58163-hyperloop-one-first-test-track-photos.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016twitterdlvrit

Image gallery at...

http://www.livescience.com/58164-hyperloop-one-transit-construction-photos.html

here are a few...

image002.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none

image004.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none

image006.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none

image008.jpeg?interpolation=lanczos-none

SALSN    54

Now if only we could get a tube or ten going in Europe :-)

DocM    16,539
12 minutes ago, SALSN said:

Now if only we could get a tube or ten going in Europe :-)

Hyperloop One is proposing a Helsinki to Stockholm route, and Hyperloop Transportation Technologies is planning to connect Bratislava with Vienna and Budapest.

HTT site: http://hyperloop.global/news/

SALSN    54

Cool, I was hoping for something that would connect to Denmark :-P But I guess it will come eventually if this project turns out to be a success :-)

DocM    16,539

Be nice :shiftyninja:

BIG White House meeting yesterday about the proposed $1 trillion infrastructure initiative with all concerned sectors; construction, financial, labor, the Nature Conservancy and others. And now this from Eric Berger of Ars Technica -

IsItPluggedIn    1,684

Imagine, hyperloop to every major city in the USA. (not sure what limits you would put maybe capitals and over half a million). You could live in Denver and work in LA, live in Nashville and work in New York. Housing prices would fall because you could live further away from the CBD's and travel there quickly. You see this happen when there is new highways put in place, it would be much bigger if they put hyperloop in.

DocM    16,539

I could see a major trunk running along a NY --> Chicago corridor with north/south fast rail junctions to other cities, and then on to points west.

NYC-_Chicago-_LA_hyperloop.thumb.jpg.4bef10370e55af78f2cb3c99607d9824.jpg

Edited by DocM

sidroc    1,201

I suggest everyone watch Thubderf00ts videos about the hyperloop on YouTube before getting too excited.

FloatingFatMan    18,659
39 minutes ago, sidroc said:

I suggest everyone watch Thubderf00ts videos about the hyperloop on YouTube before getting too excited.

I had, ages ago. It's one of the reasons for my doubts on this whole project. I just don't think we're anywhere near the tech level needed to make this possible. Just the immense vacuum required is virtually insurmountable...

• Like 1

DocM    16,539
1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I had, ages ago. It's one of the reasons for my doubts on this whole project. I just don't think we're anywhere near the tech level needed to make this possible. Just the immense vacuum required is virtually insurmountable...

Hyperloop needs a pressure of about 10 kPa. A good vacuum cleaner can pull 20 kPa, and many of those use a squirrel cage or very rudimentary pot metal or plastic turbine disc.

sidroc    1,201
Hyperloop needs a pressure of about 10 kPa. A good vacuum cleaner can pull 20 kPa, and many of those use a squirrel cage or very rudimentary pot metal or plastic turbine disc.

Source?

SALSN    54

I usually like thunderf00t, but I think his videos on the hyperloop have been terrible.
Conflating the concept with earlier versions of vacuum train concepts, complaining about aspects that he only has his own dubious speculation on,  and generally just criticizing the prototype for not being the finished product.
A complaint I found especially bizarre was that the vacuum tube was only one km long, and not one mile?!?

DocM    16,539
1 hour ago, DocM said:

Oops...That was supposed to be 0.1kPa for Hyperloop. Still not a hard vacuum and maintainable. 

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/hyperloop_alpha.pdfza

sidroc    1,201
Oops...That was supposed to be 0.1kPa for Hyperloop. Still not a hard vacuum and maintainable. 

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/hyperloop_alpha.pdfza

Just ran a quick conversion in that number and if its correct, that is 99.9% vaccine if that is correct, why do you think that a hundred of miles long tube can handle that giving weather, time, breakdown, etc. Really it sounds ridiculous on its face if that number is correct. Genuinely curiouse.

sidroc    1,201

OK spellcheck on my mobile messed that post up. Short version, why do you think 99.9% of a vacuum is statistically different as far as danger and stability than 100%? Legitimately curious, if I am just missing something I would like to know as I will readily admit I don't know a lot on this topic.

flyingskippy    167

If you look closely at the tubes, you can see how they were made. They essentially took a flat long sheet of steel and spiraled it to form the tube. They then welded the seems, perhaps friction stir welding, to seal the tube shut. Now I'm no engineer, and I may very well be wrong, but I think expansion happens mostly along the longest dimension of a material. If that is the case, is it possible that this method cuts down on the lateral expansion and transfers it to more of an increase/decrease in diameter of the tube?

It's actually not all that difficult to maintain a pressure that low. Hospitals, Banks and Credit Unions do it all the time and it's not anything terribly trying on equipment or manpower to pull off. Scale it up and presto. It's actually pretty sound, mechanically speaking. We've been doing it for almost a century and we've got it down pat. :yes: 

DocM    16,539

And as explained to me by a Hyperlooper (I made up, but it fits), you shouldn't look at the Hyperloop as a single gigantic air column but as many smaller air columns - each bounded by a pair of pods. AIUI, along the loop will be many high flow pumps, each group mainly concerned with the air column between their currently local pods.  

Power comes from solar array atop The the with battery buffering. I've read one estimate the LA-SF leg could generate ~50 megawatts.

• Like 1

flyingskippy    167

Sorry guys I was watching one of thunbderf00t's videos on the thermal expansion of hyperloop. 

sidroc    1,201
And as explained to me by a Hyperlooper (I made up, but it fits), you shouldn't look at the Hyperloop as a single gigantic air column but as many smaller air columns - each bounded by a pair of pods. AIUI, along the loop will be many high flow pumps, each group mainly concerned with the air column between their currently local pods.  

Power comes from solar array atop The the with battery buffering. I've read one estimate the LA-SF leg could generate ~50 megawatts.

How is it not one vaccum? These pods are not disconnected from each other and share the same space, why would it not react like one vacuum. Again, I already caught you trying to say its not really a true vacuum when its .01% from a true vacuum. Methinks this is snake oil. Again, how would the while thing not destroy itself if it lost pressure? You haven't actually answered any of my questions all you have done is reassure me that it will work.