My one game streaming disappointment on Xbox One

So, i was excited for game streaming. The XB1 in my house is used as a media device, a gaming device, and with the TV tuner connected, a TV box.

Game streaming looked to me to be a way i could kick back and relax with some games streaming to my Windows 10 laptop, after work while the missus was watch some crap like the One Show or Eastenders.

Unfortunately i just spotted this in the game streaming FAQ's.

Q: Can I watch TV at the console while someone else is streaming a game?

A: Due to technical constraints, other users will not be able to use the Xbox One console to do something else. During game streaming the Xbox One console will appear

To be honest this is what I was expecting. That the console would be "in-use", kind of makes sense to me. I am actually surprised it does allow someone to use the console to play with you the game that you are streaming. I wonder if that will work fine since I would expect the person streaming to have some kind of delay (even if ms).

• Like 3

To be honest this is what I was expecting. That the console would be "in-use", kind of makes sense to me. I am actually surprised it does allow someone to use the console to play with you the game that you are streaming. I wonder if that will work fine since I would expect the person streaming to have some kind of delay (even if ms).

Yeah i guess in the back of my mind i was thinking the same thing really. That's why i'm dissapointed rather than "M$ you've shafted me for the lat time raaaaaaaaaaar".

Yeah i guess in the back of my mind i was thinking the same thing really. That's why i'm dissapointed rather than "M$ you've shafted me for the lat time raaaaaaaaaaar".

But I understand where you are coming from. If what you said were possible I would probably die of excitement, haha. It would be amazing.

I wonder if the Xbox One would have the processing power to pull it off. Then again, it is able to pull of a full Xbox 360 emulator so who knows.

But I understand where you are coming from. If what you said were possible I would probably die of excitement, haha. It would be amazing.

I wonder if the Xbox One would have the processing power to pull it off. Then again, it is able to pull of a full Xbox 360 emulator so who knows.

To be honest, i already use the Xbox TV Tuner too. Now if they could do an updated version with maybe a small mobile chip in there to offload some off the work to make it possible, then i'd be all over an upgrade.

I think the issue is that it's not really streaming the game per se, more mirroring the whole console across the network.

I'm sure i will still make use of this, just not as much as i hoped.

I see myself using it quite a bit because my usage scenario is as follows: It is getting late at night and my girlfriend wants to go to bed. I want to keep playing. She loves when I go to bed with her at the same time. The Xbox One is in the living room and I don't wanna! Haha. When I told her about game streaming she was as excited as I was even though she doesn't really play. Now I can go to the bed and be with her and continue playing. Beautiful.

I see myself using it quite a bit because my usage scenario is as follows: It is getting late at night and my girlfriend wants to go to bed. I want to keep playing. She loves when I go to bed with her at the same time. The Xbox One is in the living room and I don't wanna! Haha. When I told her about game streaming she was as excited as I was even though she doesn't really play. Now I can go to the bed and be with her and continue playing. Beautiful.

Pretty much what i'll be doing :p

I tend to go to bed at the same time as my girlfriend and watch netflix, now i can catch up on those games i never find the time to play. So yeah, it still has its uses i guess :p

I think they just wanted to get the streaming down first as it's probably technically easier to stream the whole system than just one part of the OS. Maybe in a future update...

The good news here is that Phil wants to bring this ability to the Xbox One. He said it is capable of doing so. Not sure how long that will take, but based on how fast he has been banging out all these fan requests so quickly, it will probably be sooner than later.

• Like 2

The good news here is that Phil wants to bring this ability to the Xbox One. He said it is capable of doing so. Not sure how long that will take, but based on how fast he has been banging out all these fan requests so quickly, it will probably be sooner than later.

Good to hear that, got a source?

I mean, i will make use of streaming any way :p

The X1 is capable of multitasking, so its not impossible to imagine a scenario where this could work.  It just requires the software to be able to stream just the game OS portion of the console to your other device and yet somehow still allow another user to access the other OS that is just used for non-gaming features.  That requires a pretty substantial UI/software evolution, so I don't expect that to be quick.  Maybe the transition to Win 10 on the X1 will allow them a chance to work on that scenario. 

• Like 2

This isn;t what we're talking about in this thread.

Good link none the less though, cheers.

I was responding to the posts above mine that were talking about streaming PC games to the Xbox One though, and you asked me for a source as well.

My son was playing the Xbox 360 game Perfect Dark Zero on his laptop, thanks to the streaming from the Xbox One and backwards compatibility. That is slick.

I was responding to the posts above mine that were talking about streaming PC games to the Xbox One though, and you asked me for a source as well.

I think you misread that post then as it had nothing to do with streaming from PC to Xbox. Never mind though as i found your link interesting any way.

It's going to be hilarious when Sony fans go balistic because Xbox gamers can play their supposed exclusives with PC versions on their Xbox. Oh boy...

At this point you're required to have a PC capable of playing the game, so you're a PC gamer (as well as console), which bothers absolutely no one right now for any PC gamers who are going to play any PS4/PC titles. I understand your wish for drama and upset seems to be high, but get ready for disappointment just now outside of visiting GameFAQs.

• Like 1

It's going to be hilarious when Sony fans go balistic because Xbox gamers can play their supposed exclusives with PC versions on their Xbox. Oh boy...

Hahahaha... Indeed.

• Like 1

At this point you're required to have a PC capable of playing the game, so you're a PC gamer (as well as console), which bothers absolutely no one right now for any PC gamers who are going to play any PS4/PC titles. I understand your wish for drama and upset seems to be high, but get ready for disappointment just now outside of visiting GameFAQs.

Drama will come across many of the hot gaming forums; Polygon, NeoGaf, Reddit, etc.

Your expecting understanding and civility? No chance.

Plus, it use to be that MS was punished for having games that came out on pc and xbox, but now its totally cool for Sony and MS to claim 'console exclusives'

• Like 1

Not much of an exclusive if you are playing it on PS4 AND on PC... Also you aren't really playing it on the Xbox.. just streaming it.  So while yes the input is going into the xbox.. but still your PC is what runs it.  Also it would be no different than hooking your pc up to the TV and an xbox controller into the pc.

Again.. not much of an exclusive if it is cross platform...

Drama will come across many of the hot gaming forums; Polygon, NeoGaf, Reddit, etc.

Plus, it use to be that MS was punished for having games that came out on pc and xbox, but now its totally cool for Sony and MS to claim 'console exclusives'

Exclusives have been around forever... sega w/ sonic,  nintendo w/ mario.  I don't really see there being and drama.

Punished? When it's 1st party titles how can anyone say anything? MS aren't going to publish a game on a PS platform from their 1st party studios, even if it's on PC. If it's 3rd party, the general consensus has always been if you fund it and/or have a hand in developing, it's reasonable to have full exclusivity. Timed exclusives simply through cash/timed DLC, not so much. Good examples recently being Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive, as MS funded them.

If anything this new trend of PC/"insert Xbox or Playstation" is a step forward for gamers where it otherwise might just have been Xbox or Playstation, end of. It shows MS actually giving a damn about PC gaming where they have a direct hand (Windows), and Sony allowing developers even when they get funding or development help to make some money on the PC as well, where Sony have no interest (outside of MMOs).

So in this case I am expecting an understanding from the majority of gamers who can differentiate between a PC simply streaming a video output to another platform/screen/device, and something actually being native on a device. As I said, current PC/PS4 titles, just take an hdmi cable from your PC and play in front of the TV. Where's all the crying over that? 

Not much of an exclusive if you are playing it on PS4 AND on PC... Also you aren't really playing it on the Xbox.. just streaming it.  So while yes the input is going into the xbox.. but still your PC is what runs it.  Also it would be no different than hooking your pc up to the TV and an xbox controller into the pc.

Again.. not much of an exclusive if it is cross platform...

Exclusives have been around forever... sega w/ sonic,  nintendo w/ mario.  I don't really see there being and drama.

It has always mattered somewhat in the gaming realm when the tables aren't equal between PC and console gaming. The requirements in funding (what a gaming rig will cost vs console), and then also social play (do you have more friends on PC/console) are big differences. A big enough difference for it to be leveraged in the console only realm between Sony and MS chasing the highest install base.

The PC doesn't detract enough from a single console exclusive to somehow dent an NPD victory, or any sales victory for that matter. We see time and time again the majority of games that are between PC and consoles sell vastly more on consoles. The Witcher 3 just recently is an example, let alone any FIFA, COD, or Mass Effect title to name a few. Take any one of them and make it PC/Xbox or PS4 only and all the sales you have seen spread across the 3 platforms right now, get eaten up massively by either Sony or MS. Then if it's a hugely successful game sales wise, all the console only hardware sales needed for the same amount of people who bought it on Xbox or Playstation to all have migrated to one or the other to enjoy the game.

As much as some silly PC only gamers like to throw about the master race chat and tout the death of consoles, the facts in regards to software sales make a mockery of them every day they cannot accept console releases generate massive profits and sustainability for the overall industry. The figures don't lie, so deal with it, people like playing on consoles even when there is a PC version (not aimed at you, general closing statement lol).

• Like 1

Good to hear that, got a source?

I mean, i will make use of streaming any way :p

Here's a link about this particular issue:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-envisions-console-to-pc-streaming-whilst/1100-6424909/

ha, got xbox streaming working through the internet. played my home xbox 200km away on my sp3.

How did you do this?

Did you have to open any additional ports?

The hypocrisy is hilarious isn't it? When Sony does it they can do no wrong in the eyes of the shills. At least MS has a complete ecosystem that supports everything cross-platform with the PC all the way from the start of development.