My one game streaming disappointment on Xbox One

Not much of an exclusive if you are playing it on PS4 AND on PC... Also you aren't really playing it on the Xbox.. just streaming it.  So while yes the input is going into the xbox.. but still your PC is what runs it.  Also it would be no different than hooking your pc up to the TV and an xbox controller into the pc.

Again.. not much of an exclusive if it is cross platform...

I have a sneaky suspicion that eventually pc and xbox wont be considered cross platform, which in turn will completely change how we talk about these things.

Exclusives have been around forever... sega w/ sonic,  nintendo w/ mario.  I don't really see there being and drama.

The internet loves drama. It breeds it and encourages overreaction. There is a long rap sheet to prove it. I'm just pointing that out.

Punished? When it's 1st party titles how can anyone say anything? MS aren't going to publish a game on a PS platform from their 1st party studios, even if it's on PC. If it's 3rd party, the general consensus has always been if you fund it and/or have a hand in developing, it's reasonable to have full exclusivity. Timed exclusives simply through cash/timed DLC, not so much. Good examples recently being Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive, as MS funded them.

Again, I'm not making some wild claim. You were around for last gen and this gen, it is a thing. Now maybe more people are realistic about it now, but it has been a running line of thinking for a while.

So in this case I am expecting an understanding from the majority of gamers who can differentiate between a PC simply streaming a video output to another platform/screen/device, and something actually being native on a device. As I said, current PC/PS4 titles, just take an hdmi cable from your PC and play in front of the TV. Where's all the crying over that?

Wait, your taking a shot at streaming as a feature?

My point was about the crying over the definition of exclusives and how insecure some console gamers have been. 'Console Exclusive' is much more normal now than it was last gen. It is indeed a good thing for gamers, but some tried to pervert that into an attack against a console.

As much as some silly PC only gamers like to throw about the master race chat and tout the death of consoles, the facts in regards to software sales make a mockery of them every day they cannot accept console releases generate massive profits and sustainability for the overall industry. The figures don't lie, so deal with it, people like playing on consoles even when there is a PC version (not aimed at you, general closing statement lol).

Agree 100%

That's why I think MS wants to make the Xbox just an extension of the pc experience. Think of a windows based Steam machine. MS probably feels it may not need a separate platform for the living room anymore and that Xbox hardware could still sale as a gaming focused version of windows running on hardware made with the living room in mind.

• Like 1

I have a sneaky suspicion that eventually pc and xbox wont be considered cross platform, which in turn will completely change how we talk about these things.

The internet loves drama. It breeds it and encourages overreaction. There is a long rap sheet to prove it. I'm just pointing that out.

Again, I'm not making some wild claim. You were around for last gen and this gen, it is a thing. Now maybe more people are realistic about it now, but it has been a running line of thinking for a while.

Wait, your taking a shot at streaming as a feature?

My point was about the crying over the definition of exclusives and how insecure some console gamers have been. 'Console Exclusive' is much more normal now than it was last gen. It is indeed a good thing for gamers, but some tried to pervert that into an attack against a console.

Agree 100%

That's why I think MS wants to make the Xbox just an extension of the pc experience. Think of a windows based Steam machine. MS probably feels it may not need a separate platform for the living room anymore and that Xbox hardware could still sale as a gaming focused version of windows running on hardware made with the living room in mind.

No no, not taking a shot at streaming. When local streaming works well it is pretty nifty (tried it via Vita). Taking a shot at the idea reasonable PS fans are going to be upset if someone can stream a PC game to their Xbox One (just because it's console exclusive on PS4). If MS can do it without impactful latency then it's a pretty damn cool feature for those who don't have monster PC rigs (those kind of rigs deserve native resolution on a high res monitor).

No no, not taking a shot at streaming. When local streaming works well it is pretty nifty (tried it via Vita). Taking a shot at the idea reasonable PS fans are going to be upset if someone can stream a PC game to their Xbox One (just because it's console exclusive on PS4). If MS can do it without impactful latency then it's a pretty damn cool feature for those who don't have monster PC rigs (those kind of rigs deserve native resolution on a high res monitor).

You hit the nail on the head: Reasonable PS fans

I'm a ps fan from way back, but after two generations of multiplatform support, it just sticks out more when any fan goes too far. Its the unreasonable fans that cause the uproar. That type of fan (this applies to any console) gets angry when exclusive titles are announced, especially when they get positive buzz.

• Like 1

ha, got xbox streaming working through the internet. played my home xbox 200km away on my sp3.

Really? I think I just found a new way to get fired from my job then.

• Like 3

How did you do this?

Did you have to open any additional ports?

open all ports to your xbox one in your router/firewall. in the windows 10 app, go to "connect to your xbox one" page. at the bottom it will allow you to put in an ip, so put in your home wan ip and click connect.

N9Cc8lo.gif

• Like 1

To be honest this is what I was expecting. That the console would be "in-use", kind of makes sense to me. I am actually surprised it does allow someone to use the console to play with you the game that you are streaming. I wonder if that will work fine since I would expect the person streaming to have some kind of delay (even if ms).

I think its great what MS is doing, and is the start of us losing our consoles and just steaming game direct from MS  :shiftyninja:

No need for this thread to go way off topic, let's keep it on point.

Streaming over the internet to your PC at work or away from home is big, if it works good how vcfan says, that's pretty sweet.   Now, about streaming from the PC to the Xbox One, I think they'll do it, and if so it'd be great as well.  I game on console and PC, if I can jump back and forth on the same game as I feel like it then that's just better for me overall.     And playing some otherwise "exclusives" on my TV instead of only on my smaller monitor is a plus, I never plan to connect my PC to my big TV either, I use it for work as well, not just for entertainment.

I wonder if the Xbox One would have the processing power to pull it off. Then again, it is able to pull of a full Xbox 360 emulator so who knows.

When it's done on a game by game basis, it's not really emulating. Those things have been patched and recompiled from source, just like Original XBox games were on the 360.

Anyway, back to the topic. This is how I expected the streaming to work. To be, it just has one use really.  It frees up the TV so people can still watch their shows whilst others are gaming and not having to faff around recabling stuff.

So, i was excited for game streaming. The XB1 in my house is used as a media device, a gaming device, and with the TV tuner connected, a TV box.

Game streaming looked to me to be a way i could kick back and relax with some games streaming to my Windows 10 laptop, after work while the missus was watch some crap like the One Show or Eastenders.

I know it's not 'as good' but can't you actually do this, the Xbox streams to your laptop so you can continue gaming and you switch to the TV's built-in/set-top box tuner for watching TV? Sure you can't have the Xbox acting as a media device to the TV whilst it games to your laptop, but TV wise you're covered. Or am I missing the point?

When it's done on a game by game basis, it's not really emulating. Those things have been patched and recompiled from source, just like Original XBox games were on the 360.

Do you know that as a fact? Other info suggests that's not the case, it's licensing approval which means it's only enabled for specific games. Although that doesn't explain why the games are downloaded rather than run from the disc. I thought it was still a little bit ambiguous tbh.

Do you know that as a fact? Other info suggests that's not the case, it's licensing approval which means it's only enabled for specific games. Although that doesn't explain why the games are downloaded rather than run from the disc. I thought it was still a little bit ambiguous tbh.

Proof? No, not as such. But I'm quite into emulation, and given that no one has ever managed to emulate the Original Xbox, and that the XB1 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the raw processing power of the PowerPC CPU in the 360, it's pretty obvious that's what's going on.

Some guys have a 360 emulator "sort of" working. It's a reasonable speed but all the graphics are screwed up currently, so emulating IS possible, but they're experts at emulation and have been working on this for years and still have a very very long way to go.  Why would MS bother with all the time, complexities and compatibility problems emulation brings, when they can just provide a wrapper SDK that the game devs just have to recompile against?

Nah, it's not real emulation at all.

I actually wish i could change the title of this thread too "My one game streaming disappointment".
As it currently stands it sounds like i'm disappointed with the whole streaming experience, which i'm not, it's positively marvelous :D

As much as some silly PC only gamers like to throw about the master race chat and tout the death of consoles, the facts in regards to software sales make a mockery of them every day they cannot accept console releases generate massive profits and sustainability for the overall industry. The figures don't lie, so deal with it, people like playing on consoles even when there is a PC version (not aimed at you, general closing statement lol).

If i knew your address, i'd buy you a drink.
As a part time and former PC gamer, i'm embarrassed every day by that whole master race ****. Yeah, the graphics and specs are better but so was the NeoGeo at that time and look how well that done.
And people bow down to Gabe as the god of PC gaming, have they not remembered how well Steam was received originally, no they haven't because all they see now is "-50%", "-75%" blah blah blah, and suddenly Valve are gods, despite it took them how long to offer refunds? You know the worst part? I'm just as much a sucker as the rest of the PC "Master Race", i'm just lucky enough to realise that console gaming is great fun too.

Those things have been patched and recompiled from source, just like Original XBox games were on the 360.

MS themselves have said no patching or recompiling is needed in any way, all they need is permission from the publisher to stick it in the library.

I know it's not 'as good' but can't you actually do this, the Xbox streams to your laptop so you can continue gaming and you switch to the TV's built-in/set-top box tuner for watching TV? Sure you can't have the Xbox acting as a media device to the TV whilst it games to your laptop, but TV wise you're covered. Or am I missing the point?

I did think about doing this, but the TV features the Xbox bring are just too used by my family (voice commands, OneGuide etc) and i'd face the missus/child lynch mob :p

MS themselves have said no patching or recompiling is needed in any way, all they need is permission from the publisher to stick it in the library.

MS also once said Windows ME was a good product... :p

Proof? No, not as such. But I'm quite into emulation, and given that no one has ever managed to emulate the Original Xbox, and that the XB1 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the raw processing power of the PowerPC CPU in the 360, it's pretty obvious that's what's going on.

Some guys have a 360 emulator "sort of" working. It's a reasonable speed but all the graphics are screwed up currently, so emulating IS possible, but they're experts at emulation and have been working on this for years and still have a very very long way to go.  Why would MS bother with all the time, complexities and compatibility problems emulation brings, when they can just provide a wrapper SDK that the game devs just have to recompile against?

Nah, it's not real emulation at all.

The way they've talked about it, it's emulation in the sense that it's a stripped down 360 OS running in a type of VM, probably using appv technology to run on the hyperviser at the core of the Xbox One (the core OS of XB1 is really just HyperV with the rest on top).   They're not patching games, not like they did before, they're pretty clear that only licensing and who owns the IP of games is the thing stopping them from showing up, that's nothing like the other method.

They take the game and run it through the emulator, their words, and put it out on the Live servers to be downloaded, which is why disc games do download and don't run off of the disc.  But if you see the demos it's not just the game, you get a good bit of the 360 OS in there, hitting the xbox button on the controller brings up the 360s mini guide and you can do the basics.

I actually wish i could change the title of this thread too "My one game streaming disappointment".

As it currently stands it sounds like i'm disappointed with the whole streaming experience, which i'm not, it's positively marvelous :D

If i knew your address, i'd buy you a drink.

As a part time and former PC gamer, i'm embarrassed every day by that whole master race s***. Yeah, the graphics and specs are better but so was the NeoGeo at that time and look how well that done.

And people bow down to Gabe as the god of PC gaming, have they not remembered how well Steam was received originally, no they haven't because all they see now is "-50%", "-75%" blah blah blah, and suddenly Valve are gods, despite it took them how long to offer refunds? You know the worst part? I'm just as much a sucker as the rest of the PC "Master Race", i'm just lucky enough to realise that console gaming is great fun too.

I did think about doing this, but the TV features the Xbox bring are just too used by my family (voice commands, OneGuide etc) and i'd face the missus/child lynch mob :p

Why thank you sir! Us Scots have pints for our breakfast.

MS also once said Windows ME was a good product... :p

Ah but in this case, it's true :p

Why thank you sir! Us Scots have pints for our breakfast.

Why do you think i moved here? ;)

Ah but in this case, it's true :p

Why do you think i moved here? ;)

To vote for independence? :p

Topic cleaned

No Cursing or Swear Words
We encourage you to use our communities as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper adjectives to express yourself. We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter or abuse upon another member. As stated above, we are a forum for all ages and expect posts to be family / work friendly.

Title updated

And stay on topic, please.

Topic cleaned

Title updated

And stay on topic, please.

Have a Whisky on Mike and I and take it easy Andy :p

/alcoholisalwaysontopic

• Like 1

They're just streaming the screen. I don't think it is technically possible to have the Xbox One stream and draw a game at full res when it is not in focus or snapped.

I think it's time I hook up my TV box directly to the receiver as after I ugpraded from the old crap tv box to the new TV-We one the xbox one guide doesn't support the new one, so I get no guide(well I Guess I do that, but it'd be pretty meaningless) and can't change channels and all that. So using the pass through is pretty pointless now. and if I hook it directly to the receiver I can watch tv and stream to my laptop at the same time :)  even though the compression on the streaming is noticeable. 

Any of you guys use steam on a pc as you can do the exact same thing here, stream a game to another device, old laptop or tablet so long as you can install the steam client on it.  You can even set the pc to do all the hard work like rendering the graphics, but here is the difference you can still use your pc if you have dual screens while the game is running.