• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PS4 Media Player

-T-    671

It only now just got this?

Good for PS4 users I guess, kudos Sony

firey    3,924

I thought game machines are only bought for one thing, to play games. I swear that's what we've been told.

They are... they aren't bought for streaming capabilities (Look at how far ahead PS4 is sales wise than the Xbone).   Adding DLNA isn't going to make it sell any faster.. it's just an added feature.

Jason S.    1,499

not really what i was expecting, but i'll take it! going to download tonight.

red.    108

Using with UMS and it seemed pretty good. The seeking worked really quickly compared to the PS3. Had some issues with some files, i think they were M4V or something which caused the application to crash and non of the options under the Transcode folder helped. Will have to see if this gets fixed later.

Also, one thing that seems to be missing is the Go To option unless i'm missing something?

+Audioboxer    2,876

The shutdown plugin for UMS still works lol. I like to be able to shutdown my PC from in my bed via my PS4.

Orange    123

Ok since my actual thread never got a reply and can't find anything on PS4 forums to help, even asked on there but again 0 replies..

I'm having problems with my USB actually working on the PS4.

I have a Kingston DataTraveler Locker+G3 16GB

I formatted it to FAT32, tried Exfat32 and the PS4 just say's this usb isn't supported.

Any clue in getting it to work?

Thanks.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Ok since my actual thread never got a reply and can't find anything on PS4 forums to help, even asked on there but again 0 replies..

I formatted it to FAT32, tried Exfat32 and the PS4 just say's this usb isn't supported.

Thanks.

USB 2/3? Definitely a genuine model? Is exfat32 exfat? (I've never seen it named exfat32) Mac or Windows used to format?

Orange    123

It's a brand new memory stick. still got the pack. It can be used for USB 2/3

Sorry meant Exfat not exfat32.

Windows to format it (under quick format)

+Audioboxer    2,876

It's a brand new memory stick. still got the pack. It can be used for USB 2/3

Sorry meant Exfat not exfat32.

Windows to format it (under quick format)

Have you got a PS3 to test it on? Have you got a USB hub that could be plugged into the PS4, and then memory stick into hub? Have you tried both USB ports on PS4 (I know, silly question)?

Could you try using a formatting tool via a 3rd party application?

vcfan    2,338

Thanks.

open command prompt as admin, type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk number (number is the disk # of your usb stick from previous command)

clean

create partition primary

active

format quick fs=fat32

Orange    123

open command prompt as admin, type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk number (number is the disk # of your usb stick from previous command)

clean

create partition primary

active

format quick fs=fat32

Thanks but slight problem, after i do listdisk, it comes up with 4 disks. So i do 3 (that is the usb memory) then i do clean and it comes up with message (there is no disc selected)

Mobius Enigma    2,909

The difference in Sony's approach is that DLNA was announced prior to their show from a blog and they spent a minute or two max talking about Vue.

They did not spend the majority of their event talking about these things like X1 did in the unveiling of a new console for the first time. We're two years in and Sony have done nothing but talk about games since.

Move on and get over what happened already.

Going from your post and a few like it above - Microsoft's horrible "Sin" was talking about non-game features of their console.  Do 'purist' gamers really need to have 'games' explained to them over and over and nobody should ever dare mention other features and technologies available?

This is like buying a sports car and never learning to use the Climate Control features, and rolling down the Window when you get hot.   And God forbid if the Corvette dealer demonstrated how to use anything but driving, it would no longer be a sports car, right?

*smacks head on desk*

Most multipurpose technologies, CAN do more than one or two things, and do them just as well as a dedicated technology. This is why companies like Sony use non-dedicated processor technologies, so that it can do more than just run Games.

If Sony was truly only wanting to give you the best gaming possible, they would have designed a dedicated CPU and GPU that doesn't carry around legacy features along with a new minimal OS to sit under the games.  You know, how Microsoft did with the custom CPU & completely new GPU architecture, and a very minimal version of the NT Kernel on the Xbox 360. :)

(Even the XB1 runs a custom minimal NT kernel under its games. Why?  Because it is NOT a PC, it is a GAMING CONSOLE first.  The secondary Windows 8 OS isn't allowed to pull CPU or GPU cycles from games.)

Sony is using GENERAL COMPUTING hardware and a GENERAL COMPUTING OS, so please stop saying that they are dedicated only to gaming or have built a console that is designed just for gaming, because it is not.  The sooner PS4 fans realize this, the sooner Sony will start giving you a better experience and useful 'non-gaming' features.

• Like 1

vcfan    2,338

Thanks but slight problem, after i do listdisk, it comes up with 4 disks. So i do 3 (that is the usb memory) then i do clean and it comes up with message (there is no disc selected)

so you typed "select disk 3" and pressed enter, and if you did, did it say "disk 3 is now the selected disk" ?

Orange    123

so you typed "select disk 3" and pressed enter, and if you did, did it say "disk 3 is now the selected disk" ?

Hi my bad, sorry I'm going over this really quick didn't read it right, all done now, I've formatted it to fat32, going to put on some pictures instead of video. Hopefully ps4 picks up!

Hi, na it did it again, PS4 sadly lacks again in anything working on it. A feature that was normal on PS3/Xbox 360 yet again ps4 fails.

Doesn't like my USB stick at all. I will have to try another one if i can get my hands on one.

Thanks for the help anyways.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Hi my bad, sorry I'm going over this really quick didn't read it right, all done now, I've formatted it to fat32, going to put on some pictures instead of video. Hopefully ps4 picks up!

Hi, na it did it again, PS4 sadly lacks again in anything working on it. A feature that was normal on PS3/Xbox 360 yet again ps4 fails.

Doesn't like my USB stick at all. I will have to try another one if i can get my hands on one.

Thanks for the help anyways.

You didn't answer my q, can you test the USB stick on the PS3/360? 

Andrew    2,860

Going from your post and a few like it above - Microsoft's horrible "Sin" was talking about non-game features of their console.  Do 'purist' gamers really need to have 'games' explained to them over and over and nobody should ever dare mention other features and technologies available?

This is like buying a sports car and never learning to use the Climate Control features, and rolling down the Window when you get hot.   And God forbid if the Corvette dealer demonstrated how to use anything but driving, it would no longer be a sports car, right?

*smacks head on desk*

Most multipurpose technologies, CAN do more than one or two things, and do them just as well as a dedicated technology. This is why companies like Sony use non-dedicated processor technologies, so that it can do more than just run Games.

If Sony was truly only wanting to give you the best gaming possible, they would have designed a dedicated CPU and GPU that doesn't carry around legacy features along with a new minimal OS to sit under the games.  You know, how Microsoft did with the custom CPU & completely new GPU architecture, and a very minimal version of the NT Kernel on the Xbox 360. :)

(Even the XB1 runs a custom minimal NT kernel under its games. Why?  Because it is NOT a PC, it is a GAMING CONSOLE first.  The secondary Windows 8 OS isn't allowed to pull CPU or GPU cycles from games.)

Sony is using GENERAL COMPUTING hardware and a GENERAL COMPUTING OS, so please stop saying that they are dedicated only to gaming or have built a console that is designed just for gaming, because it is not.  The sooner PS4 fans realize this, the sooner Sony will start giving you a better experience and useful 'non-gaming' features.

When did I ever say they should not talk about non-gaming features? I have never said once that either manufacturer should only focus on games, so don't put words in my mouth.

To use your car analogy again, it would be like pulling back the curtain on a new Ferrari and talking about the radio first. It's how they presented, not what they presented. Why people still struggle to understand this 2 years later is beyond me...

And to have the idea that Sony would never talk about TV ever again is absolutely pathetic and unrealistic. Even worse still to shout "tv tv tv!" like it's the same situation to 2013.

• Like 1

+Audioboxer    2,876

When did I ever say they should not talk about non-gaming features? I have never said once that either manufacturer should only focus on games, so don't put words in my mouth.

To use your car analogy again, it would be like pulling back the curtain on a new Ferrari and talking about the radio first. It's how they presented, not what they presented. Why people still struggle to understand this 2 years later is beyond me...

And to have the idea that Sony would never talk about TV ever again is absolutely pathetic and unrealistic. Even worse still to shout "tv tv tv!" like it's the same situation to 2013.

Shhhh.

The only time TV should be spoken of is if that damn PlayTV 2 ever gets made. 

But yeah, gaming conferences should be 90% games, and things like this do fine via Blog/Youtube updates. While it's a feature we want, we don't tune into E3 at 2am to watch a powerpoint showing FW updates. No one wants the days of Sony and powerpoint slides back, going from one trailer/gameplay/a new dev to the next is how E3 should be done. Updates like DLNA as most of us agree make for light reading during sociable hours off of a blog or website :p

Orange    123

Found out the usb is for encryption only so it doesn't pick up and i have tested it on xbox 360 and doesn't work. So a normal usb stick will be needed.

• Like 1

+Audioboxer    2,876

Found out the usb is for encryption only so it doesn't pick up and i have tested it on xbox 360 and doesn't work. So a normal usb stick will be needed.

Glad it's not your console hardware that is goosed. Replacing a USB stick is much cheaper.

T4G3RXIII    206

nice! Will have to try when I get home

soniqstylz    1,048

To back this up, this is from Forbes review of the X1 reveal

I don

compl3x    6,290

I thought game machines are only bought for one thing, to play games. I swear that's what we've been told.

I think it is fine to make something like media playback a secondary or tertiary function. My game console should be first and foremost a gaming machine. If it can do other things, that is a bonus.

Anyway, it seems to work just nicely. OT, does the PS3 BT remote work with the PS4?

trooper11    1,096

I'm so glad Sony got this out.  Its a bit bare bones and they need to work on supported formats, but its a start.  I just hope they see enough interest in this that they continue to improve the situation. 

I'm currently trying to tweak my dlna profile due to the lack of format support, but for content already in an appropriate format, it works ok.  Some features like rwd/ffw support are lacking, but again, good start.

• Like 1

Hedon    397

I am completely happy with this. I prefer bare bones...or should I say, simplistic. It keeps the performance at optimal levels, small in size and does exactly what we need it to do.

soniqstylz    1,048

Anyway, it seems to work just nicely. OT, does the PS3 BT remote work with the PS4?

Nope.  But if you have a TV that supports Device Link, you can use your TV remote.