[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

55 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

In my case, I'm talking about an existing Windows 10 PC (non-Insider); the issue is that, despite the Core i3 inside it, the OEM went cheap and loaded Core on it; I'm looking to crossgrade (keeping existing files and settings, but change the SKU to Pro preferably).  Will the ISOs let you do that?

If you are an insider they will. If not you can join today choose the fast lane and download what they allow you to. Pro is the way to go. With Enterprise you will be charged $84.00 USD per year subscription. Pro is free.

8 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

If you are an insider they will. If not you can join today choose the fast lane and download what they allow you to. Pro is the way to go. With Enterprise you will be charged $84.00 USD per year subscription. Pro is free.

And that is why I moved the mobile devbook (which was running Threshold Enterprise) back to Pro with Redstone - I didn't lose Hyper-V or any other feature that would be of use to development (mobile or otherwise).

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, PGHammer said:

In my case, I'm talking about an existing Windows 10 PC (non-Insider); the issue is that, despite the Core i3 inside it, the OEM went cheap and loaded Core on it; I'm looking to crossgrade (keeping existing files and settings, but change the SKU to Pro preferably).  Will the ISOs let you do that?

I think it should just work that way, there should be a option in the settings app that lets you go from Core to Pro once you buy the license for it, I think it's just sort of a in-place upgrade.

win10logo Trending Now Here’s what happens after August 2nd for Windows 10 Insiders

On August 2nd, Microsoft officially releases the Anniversary Update (aka Redstone 1 and Version 1607) for Windows 10. With over 350 million devices running Windows 10, Microsoft is betting big on this new update, which adds numerous new improvements to the Microsoft Edge browser, Cortana, and other key features across the operating system. The August 2nd release is scheduled to be a “global rollout” and not everyone will receive it on that day, but you have nothing to worry about if you are a part of the Windows Insider program.

As an Insider, you will have the Anniversary Update on August 2nd without any further action required. In fact, if you are running Windows 10 build 14393, you already have the Anniversary Update installed. Microsoft will be releasing additional updates and fixes to build 14393 like the recent KB3176925 which bumped the build number slightly from 14393 to 14393.3.

On 7/23/2016 at 6:10 PM, PGHammer said:

in a word....No it only upgrades to the licencing equivalent in 10. (in an upgrade) 

clean install without a key will pick the E-qualification tied to your kit and install the relevant SKU.

Best way would be to buy a key and upgrade the version.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/next-windows-10-insider-build-14393-31-huge-leap-forward-14393-5

Following our discovery of 14393.5 being in the pipeline for Windows 10 Insiders and shortly after being pushed out to them, we’ve now noticed that build 14393.31 has appeared in the build feeds. This new build revision is quite a large leap from its predecessor, jumping from a 14393.5 to a 14393.31 revision.

It looks as if, with a such a big leap, that this build will include many fixes and improvements which will greatly improve stability and performance across the board for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile ahead of the Anniversary Update releasing next week on August 2nd. Insiders on the Fast Ring should expect to see either this build release later this week, unless there is an issue, in which case we may receive a later build.

We’ll keep our eyes and ears to the ground as always and let you know as soon as a new build drops.

On 7/23/2016 at 6:14 PM, chrisj1968 said:

I had the highest brand of Windows 7 and tried that way to go to Pro. It didn't allow for Win 10 Pro. But most tell me I don't need Pro.

huh you had windows 7 ultimate and it didnt select W10 pro as its upgrade path?

mine did on both systems, both had ultimate x64 and both got W10 pro x64, matrix below.

Windows 7

Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8

Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows Phone

Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. The availability of the upgrade may vary by hardware maker, mobile operator or carrier.

Excluded editions

Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1 are excluded from the free upgrade offer.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:14 AM, chrisj1968 said:

I had the highest brand of Windows 7 and tried that way to go to Pro. It didn't allow for Win 10 Pro. But most tell me I don't need Pro.

We you running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise? Ultimate will get Pro, Enterprise I believe you had to pay.

I've seen twitter posts talking about 14393.33 now,  I didn't expect it to jump this high, with all the fixes being worked in post build through CUs you'd think they'd just go ahead and release a new build, like 14395 or something.  

Whats the deal if you've ran windows 10 insider since first beta with the generic key they emailed out?

If I reinstall a standard windows 10 iso will it activate if I leave insider? Only asking because I have a windows 7 key here and dont want to lose the free upgrade if leaving insider removes my activation?

6 minutes ago, LiGhTfast said:

Whats the deal if you've ran windows 10 insider since first beta with the generic key they emailed out?

If I reinstall a standard windows 10 iso will it activate if I leave insider? Only asking because I have a windows 7 key here and dont want to lose the free upgrade if leaving insider removes my activation?

What do you mean by standard? What version of 7 Do you have? Actually after today I do not know what happens to your old windows 7 Key as the offer expires today and You can image your Windows 10 and try it?

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

What do you mean by standard? What version of 7 Do you have?

I think its windows 7 ultimate. I'd probably just install win10 pro? I used the generic windows 10 pro key to install the windows 10 beta I think that they emailed out.

I'm just worried when I do get round to reinstalling and if I dont opt into insider I will have missed the free upgrade if windows10 doesnt activate?

2 minutes ago, LiGhTfast said:

I think its windows 7 ultimate. I'd probably just install win10 pro? I used the generic windows 10 pro key to install the windows 10 beta I think that they emailed out.

I'm just worried when I do get round to reinstalling and if I dont opt into insider I will have missed the free upgrade if windows10 doesnt activate?

If you image it the image will Activate, I have done this in the past. Went back to 7 and then a few weeks later went back to 10. It matters not if you are an insider or not. So you have Windows 10 Pro and that is the standard upgrade path. If you want to try this I would do it today. I used Macrium Reflect. Why do you want to go back to Win 7?

Losing you a little, I'm already on windows10 pro and have been since the insider program started. Its always been activated from the free key they gave everyone. I'm worried that one day when I reinstall I'll lose my activation since I never used my win7 key.

1 minute ago, LiGhTfast said:

Losing you a little, I'm already on windows10 pro and have been since the insider program started. Its always been activated from the free key they gave everyone. I'm worried that one day when I reinstall I'll lose my activation since I never used my win7 key.

You will not loose your activation, I have performed a clean reinstall and mine activated. They never emailed me a key though, maybe because I use a MS account.

3 minutes ago, LiGhTfast said:

If you want your free upgrade, I believe you need to install 7, then upgrade to 10, then join the insider program.

Just now, Ryoken said:

If you want your free upgrade, I believe you need to install 7, then upgrade to 10, then join the insider program.

No , I did not have to. Twice in fact.

1 minute ago, LiGhTfast said:

Looks like my live account has the activation not my pc hardware? I think i'll reinstall and use the win7 key just in case

Capture.JPG

Does anyone know what happens if you have installed multiple PCs with the same live account?