[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

11 hours ago, zhangm said:

Looks like visual changes are starting to show up in more apps.

2017-04-29.png

2017-04-29 (2).png

I like where they're going with it, what do you think?     I always thought the taskbar/start menu/action center etc should match more with UWP apps and we especially need the popup menus to match as well.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:53 PM, George P said:

I like where they're going with it, what do you think?     I always thought the taskbar/start menu/action center etc should match more with UWP apps and we especially need the popup menus to match as well.

I don't like how it turns off when the window is inactive. I think the Maps app could make better use of all that empty space in the toolbar by making the icons responsive, and expanding into text labels when there is enough space available.

4 hours ago, zhangm said:

I don't like how it turns off when the window is inactive. I think the Maps app could make better use of all that empty space in the toolbar by making the icons responsive, and expanding into text labels when there is enough space available.

It turning off when the window is inactive is interesting, could just be a simple way to visually tell it's not or is in use.   I mean when you replace title bar colors like we have , what other way can you tell the difference?   Also if you have two of these apps on top of each other and both have the transparency on at the same time, it could start to look very weird and mess things up?    I suppose instead of turning it off fully they could just turn it down and sort of "dim" the inactive app.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:59 AM, George P said:

It turning off when the window is inactive is interesting, could just be a simple way to visually tell it's not or is in use.   I mean when you replace title bar colors like we have , what other way can you tell the difference?   Also if you have two of these apps on top of each other and both have the transparency on at the same time, it could start to look very weird and mess things up?    I suppose instead of turning it off fully they could just turn it down and sort of "dim" the inactive app.

Latest Photos update adds a new twist to the translucency. The titlebar is taking my accent color (the blue). I'm pessimistic about this choice, since at least in my hands, Windows 10 selects awful accent colors when left to its own devices.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zhangm said:

Latest Photos update adds a new twist to the translucency. The titlebar is taking my accent color (the blue). I'm pessimistic about this choice, since at least in my hands, Windows 10 selects awful accent colors when left to its own devices.

Untitled.png

That's pretty cool though, if it stick to the color you pick, I like that in the end.

Looks like more and more apps are getting the Neon touch, the People app looks to be the newest one.

https://t.co/Yn54vw8CzX

Oh and Paint 3D as well, plus a few other changes to it in the process.

• Like 1

It'd be nice if they let us set the level we want, I'm not a fan of too much transparency, just a small touch is fine though.

IMO transparency is tough to integrate into the design, since then the interface becomes sensitive to background color and pattern.

Camera app was also updated - with the dark edition of Neon.

IMO, the Onedrive app would benefit greatly from the blurring of transparent sections, if they ever get around to updating the UI.

2017-05-05 (1).png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zhangm said:

IMO transparency is tough to integrate into the design, since then the interface becomes sensitive to background color and pattern.

I agree, it's an issue when you use too much of it at a high %,  I think having a little in specific places, like the title bar and the menus is ok.

I remember the earliest releases of OS X had excessive transparency. Then it almost entirely disappeared in the middle releases, and has only recently been brought back, but in a much toned-down fashion. Hopefully Microsoft learns from Apple and either gives just enough transparency to make the effect clear, or offer the ability to completely turn it off.

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

I remember the earliest releases of OS X had excessive transparency. Then it almost entirely disappeared in the middle releases, and has only recently been brought back, but in a much toned-down fashion. Hopefully Microsoft learns from Apple and either gives just enough transparency to make the effect clear, or offer the ability to completely turn it off.

Well, since not every one of the apps have the same levels of it going on, some have a little in specific places, and some, like the people app, have it everywhere, I'd say they're just messing around to see what people like or what looks good.   The best would be a transparency slider in the settings app.

13 hours ago, George P said:

Well, since not every one of the apps have the same levels of it going on, some have a little in specific places, and some, like the people app, have it everywhere, I'd say they're just messing around to see what people like or what looks good.   The best would be a transparency slider in the settings app.

I agree, but I doubt we'll get on. At best, there will be a toggle: on or off.

19 hours ago, zhangm said:

Just updated to Calc v 10.1705.1301.0. The transparency/translucency is no longer present.

Maybe A/B testing of things.

14 hours ago, zhangm said:

Looks like the Store also got a facelift.

Untitled.png

I think I saw posts talking about the store getting a bigger redesign overall, not just this type of Fluent refresh.  Anyways, I got the updated calc app a few days ago which adds some of this, I think it looks fine but now the size is limited as to how small you can make it.  Before this fluent update to calc I could shrink it almost to the same size of the older desktop calc, that seems to not be the case anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've seen posts talking about MS probably moving Cortana from next to the start menu on the taskbar,  to the right in the systray, between the clock and the action center.  No signs of this in the newest fast ring build but I find the move pretty interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else able to get Text messages to work in the new insiders build. I installed cortona on android and I get phone notifications just not Text messages. It's actually not even an option under what notifications get synced. It shows up on the android side just not the windows side. I wondered if they moved it to people, but it doesn't work there either.

On 6/23/2017 at 8:18 PM, warwagon said:

Is anyone else able to get Text messages to work in the new insiders build. I installed cortona on android and I get phone notifications just not Text messages. It's actually not even an option under what notifications get synced. It shows up on the android side just not the windows side. I wondered if they moved it to people, but it doesn't work there either.

I've only seen notifications for missed calls and text msgs but I never tried to reply to a text on my desktop.  I don't have the newest insider build installed either.

How do I revert back to the latest stable build? I remember doing that a couple times in the past but I don't see the option to do it anymore. When I click the option to do it, it just puts me in the control panel section where I can choose between a clean install  or an install where I keep my files but lose apps.

In the past, I was able to just select an option to remove the insider build and revert to the previous build I was on which was the latest public release. Do they no longer allow that?