[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

These look better than what was on the homepage the other day, but all in all, this feels like a downgrade from the Start Screen in Windows 8.1.

What does it matter? You are given a choice between this or the start screen.

Considering the Alt + Tab view redesign is called the Task view does this mean we are getting a complete overhaul of the Taskbar that has a new name and does away with the Multitasking?

Considering the Alt + Tab view redesign is called the Task view does this mean we are getting a complete overhaul of the Taskbar that has a new name and does away with the Multitasking?

I doubt it, just because Microsoft overhauled Winkey+tab with Flip 3D, then again in Windows 8 with the App Switcher, I doubt they will overall the taskbar completely. 

I doubt it, just because Microsoft overhauled Winkey+tab with Flip 3D, then again in Windows 8 with the App Switcher, I doubt they will overall the taskbar completely. 

The taskbar is rumored to be getting a huge overhaul.

What more can they do with the taskbar, though? Since Win7 merged the taskbar and Quick Launch, I feel it serves its purpose as well as it possibly could. Overhauling or adding more to it could make it overly complicated.

I betchya the Longhorn "double decker" taskbar might be making a come back. Rumor has it live tiles will populate the taskbar now.

• Like 2

The taskbar is rumored to be getting a huge overhaul.

I haven't seen anything about that.

I haven't seen anything about that.

I believe that Dot may be referring to this article.

First up, let's talk user interface. Threshold is getting a distinctive UI refresh; when you see it, there is no confusing it with Windows 7 or 8. The desktop on Windows 8, to the casual eye, looks nearly identical to that of Windows 7 but not so with Threshold. Our sources tell us that the UI looks much more modern and of course, a bit more flat too.

How is it more distinctive? The taskbar is getting improved functionality. No more is it a static location for icons, as we have been told that icons on the task bar are interactive, one person described them as ?mini Live Tiles?. We don?t know what functionality they will all include, yet, but know that Microsoft is toying with glance-and-go style functionality for the taskbar too. Remember, Nadella is all about productivity and Microsoft wants to make minimized windows able to provide valuable information.

It makes sense too; if you have several apps open and you want to know what is going on inside that application, you have to open it up. What if you could get a flavor of that action in your taskbar without having to click anything? We know that this functionality is present, in limited capacity, with Windows 8 by hovering over an open app on the taskbar but look for further enhancements in this area.

My prediction is that the Taskbar will become a fusion of the On-Screen Buttons Bar and Status Bar from Windows Phone based on recent news and Screenshots of Windows 9.

Anybody Agree? Seems evident.

One thing I expect is that the taskbar will support live tiles inside it, so anything pinned will update just like it will on the start screen or the new mini-start menu.  

I'm curious ? does anyone actually enjoy that look? (not a rhetorical question)

In all honesty the rainbow coloured tiles look horrible in my opinion, i would likely have the weather tile pinned to the new start menu and that it.

In all honesty the rainbow coloured tiles look horrible in my opinion, i would likely have the weather tile pinned to the new start menu and that it.

I think this is actually one of the reasons why Windows 8 was launched without the option of setting a custom image as the Start screen background - they are rather aware that clashing color combinations occur frequently. Just like with cases of ugly third-party program icons, I don't think there is much that can be done to resolve the issue, though IMHO it may be mitigated if Microsoft quietly bundled some OblyTile-type functionality into the customization settings...

One thing I expect is that the taskbar will support live tiles inside it, so anything pinned will update just like it will on the start screen or the new mini-start menu.  

That is already possible. MetroTwit for example shows the number of new tweets if it is present in the taskbar. It doesn't always work, but my guess is that is an issue with the app itself, because it sure did work before.

That is already possible. MetroTwit for example shows the number of new tweets if it is present in the taskbar. It doesn't always work, but my guess is that is an issue with the app itself, because it sure did work before.

So do IE11 pinned sites (Outlook.com, Facebook.com etc.).  But I think it's limited to 2 numeric digits, which is a fairly limited amount of 'Live' data.  I think what some are alluding to is a tile-based update of what surfaced with the Longhorn milestones - awesome if they can work out the blank-space issues;

windows-longhorn-4015-sidebar-taskbar-bo

Really interesting to me to see how UI design has changed. 2003 was shiny, glossy, gradient heavy, now in 2014, we're seeing flat, muted, simplistic UI. I prefer the latter myself, though there were several elements from the Longhorn UI that I do like.

Well I think the long term goal was to get it to look something like this.

win4.jpg

longhorn was where the good look was at it.... seen a vid about what it was supposed to be able to do. sad it never made it to public. :(

Different definitions/interpretations of the word. Win8 uses a lot more color but it's much less glossy, shiny, etc. than what Longhorn was apparently going to look like.

IMO Microsoft caused an understated UI revolution when it realized 'Metro - basic shapes/simple icons/clear text/photographic imagery/elegant transition' trumped graphical clutter.  I used to think those Longhorn builds were really natty, now I see them as a frivolous.

They then failed themselves with 8/8.1, by not dragging legacy items (i.e. desktop icons) up to date.  Microsoft - daring/lazy, Apple - meticulous/conservative - fascinating, isn't it?

IMO Microsoft caused an understated UI revolution when it realized 'Metro - basic shapes/simple icons/clear text/photographic imagery/elegant transition' trumped graphical clutter.  I used to think those Longhorn builds were really natty, now I see them as a frivolous.

They then failed themselves with 8/8.1, by not dragging legacy items (i.e. desktop icons) up to date.  Microsoft - daring/lazy, Apple - meticulous/conservative - fascinating, isn't it?

I agree with the former part... But if Win9 does update many of the legacy icons (and legacy behaviors, too), then at least we can say "better late than never."

Not exactly what I mean, while you could do that since Windows 7 with pinned apps/sites it's just a simple counter, I'm thinking full live tile support so that they'll show more and actually allow for something like flipping, where you can get more info on the back of it like you do on the start screen.   Of course one advantage of this over what we have on the taskbar now is that anything pinned to the taskbar, specially a website, will not update/show a icon notification unless it's open and running.   That wouldn't be the case with full live tile support, I wouldn't have to have my twitter or FB app open to get a notification etc, but the way it is now I do or they won't show anything on the taskbar.

The other thing they could do, depending on size of your taskbar, if you keep the default taskbar size you'll only be able to get the small tile size, which is limited in what it can show.  But if they integrate it with the taskbar preview images, then if it's not running and you hover your pointer over it the preview should still come up and show you the tile itself and allow for it to flip, so you can get to see all the tile info without, again, having to open the app.

Or just allow for it to support bigger tiles when you make the taskbar bigger/taller etc.