Sony: Remasters Serve The 40 Percent Of PS4 Owners That Didn't Own A PlayStation 3

During our conversation with Sony president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida, we spoke about the wave of remasters that the company has and continues to issue. We asked about the company's thought process behind reissuing older games just one generation later.

Sony has God of War III, Tearaway Unfolded, and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection coming this fall. Last year, PlayStation 4 was home to The Last of Us Remastered.

"The Last of Us Remastered that we released last year was hugely popular," Yoshida says. "When we look at the number of people who did not own PS3, but do own PS4, those are people who have never tried these games that were very, very popular on PS3. Lots of people were asking for the Uncharted Collection. I'm confident that lots of people will have the chance to play Uncharted for the first time in a higher resolution, with better textures and animations. That will even attract people who played on PS3 in preparation for Uncharted 4. I'm not bothered by people who complain when we talk about remasters. There are always those people on the internet."

We asked for clarification on the number of PlayStation 4 owners who didn't own a PlayStation 3 on which these games appeared first. A Sony representative confirmed to us that PlayStation 4 new users (those that didn't upgrade from PlayStation 3) amount to approximately 40 percent of the 20.2 million install base (approximately 8.08 million).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/17/sony-remasters-serve-the-40-percent-of-ps4-owners-that-didn_2700_t-own-a-playstation-3.aspx?utm_content=bufferd2d5e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

well, makes sense. though for avid gamers they look like a cheap cash ins and the way to pumper up your game collection....

but if there is demand for them then why the hell not.

especially if they are true remasters, not just a bump in resolution with old textures still there...

There's nothing wrong with remasters, not sure what everyone is complaining about. As long as they're also coming up with new ideas, remasters don't hurt anybody.

Give us the Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered already!!!!

if they can get it to the level like 2 was i would love it.    i did not like 1, and i did not like 3 much.  2 was perfect.  the story, the gameplay, it all just flowed. dragged you in and did not let go until you finish.

1 and 3 where special. in a way a special kid is.  they had serious flaws.  even though people don't usually like to discuss them in public.

if they can get it to the level like 2 was i would love it.    i did not like 1, and i did not like 3 much.  2 was perfect.  the story, the gameplay, it all just flowed. dragged you in and did not let go until you finish.

1 and 3 where special. in a way a special kid is.  they had serious flaws.  even though people don't usually like to discuss them in public.

I agree on the 3rd one but the first one was perfect for me, really liked the gameplay.  The big flaw was the huge number of items you picked up and were not able to sort in any meaningful way.  If they don't release the remaster before the 4th one comes out I'll have to pickup a used Xbox 360 and replay the entire trilogy.  

"There are always those people on the internet."

Yeah, no kidding.

All the remaster seem to be good titles. That's fine with me.

There's nothing wrong with remasters, not sure what everyone is complaining about. As long as they're also coming up with new ideas, remasters don't hurt anybody.

It is just that it is practically the same game with improved graphics, and you have to pay for it again.

and you have to pay for it again.

You really don't have to do anything. If the price is too high, don't buy.

I'd even be willing to bet that some of the HD remakes will make their way to PS+ after a few months. They'll milk the early sales from people who didn't own a PS3 and then use the remasters to promote PS+

The reason for all these remakes is  it is simple cheaper,  lot faster to make, and lot cheaper to market for  hen an orignai new game. Besides they now suckers always buy it.

You really don't have to do anything. If the price is too high, don't buy.

I'd even be willing to bet that some of the HD remakes will make their way to PS+ after a few months. They'll milk the early sales from people who didn't own a PS3 and then use the remasters to promote PS+

Remasters deserve to be DLC, not a full priced game. I want the graphics upgrade, but at a price of a full new game, it is ridiculous.

It is just that it is practically the same game with improved graphics, and you have to pay for it again.

I wouldn't pay twice for the same game, specially if the prices were the same or even similar.  But if they can remaster a trilogy and charge the price of one new game then I'm all up for it.

Remasters deserve to be DLC, not a full priced game. I want the graphics upgrade, but at a price of a full new game, it is ridiculous.

That's probably fair. I wouldn't pay full retail for a remaster, either. I am still waiting for a good deal on TLOU remaster.

The RemasterStation. But seriously, both consoles are flooding the market with remasters. I am not bothered in the least though because nobody is forcing me to buy the same game over and over. Though I did buy Halo MCC and Last of Us for these new gen machines.  :rofl:

I don't care about remasters, what I hate is that they seem to think it's okay to charge almost full price for a remaster.

The other thing that lingers in the back of my mind is that if remasters weren't so prevalent, we might have got backwards compatibility.

I don't care about remasters, what I hate is that they seem to think it's okay to charge almost full price for a remaster.

The other thing that lingers in the back of my mind is that if remasters weren't so prevalent, we might have got backwards compatibility.

TLoU running at 60FPS is definitely worth a remaster over BC. It just makes such a huge difference to that game.

Other games have much more pathetic remasters.

I own plenty of albums and films that i use over and over again, why not games?

I'm fully behind remasters. It's not like i'm ever forced in to buying them, but if they remaster a game i loved, then i'm on that like thrush on a lady of the night.

Well to be fair, most of the Xbox one (well the two major ones anyway :p) have been collections with some of the games dating to the 360, namely Halo and Gears. so that's a lot of game for the price. 

I don't care that remastered are getting made and there are some I'm certainly infrared in, but you know what else serves those people? Backwards compatibility :p

I own plenty of albums and films that i use over and over again, why not games?

I'm fully behind remasters. It's not like i'm ever forced in to buying them, but if they remaster a game i loved, then i'm on that like thrush on a lady of the night.

It's not like people cmplained when they bought their vinyls on cassette again, and then on CD, and then the 3 people who bought the SACD and the one guy who bougt the DVD high def audio disk or whatever it's called :p and then on iTunes or similar and then paid to stream it...

really... we gamers shouldn't complain about paying twice :)

• Like 1

As long as they aren't only focusing on remasters, I'm fine with them happening. But it's getting to the same point as Hollywood with the remakes, it gives you the impression these people are out of ideas.

Good luck getting a game published by Nintendo onto PS4 or X1.

I think SEGA have shown pride can only hold out for so long before it cashes in. We'll see if that statement holds in 4-5yrs ;)