DeskHider v0.0.1 - Hide your Desktop!

Just wondering, why is the app 5mb? Thought something as simple as this would be a few hundred KB max?

Yeah, good question. This app was written in Python, which is interpreted. This means that the final app generally has to pack more with it to run. I am looking into alternative ways which would reduce the completed size.

I am afraid I come with bad news for those hoping to run this on Windows 10. Having tested this on Windows 10, MS put restrictions on doing anything with the Desktop, so even with admin rights, I cannot change anything about the Desktop. I hope this changes by RTM or sooner, but I see no way of this happening.

So am I reading this right that it only works with Windows 8? :huh:

No thanks, my windows desktop is already hiding icons in Windows 8.  Just using a toolbar, which has all the hidden icons.

Oh? How is it hiding the icons? I am curious to learn about alternative software.

Shrug. The functionality is built into Windows. My icons are hidden, too. I guess some people might not care to use the menu. I also like using Fences, so I can just double-click the desktop, but my OD subscription expired.

Shrug. The functionality is built into Windows. My icons are hidden, too. I guess some people might not care to use the menu. I also like using Fences, so I can just double-click the desktop, but my OD subscription expired.

Ahh... So you are using the Hidden attribute for the icons? I guess that works. I like to be able to see the hidden icons, as I root around my drive a lot. I guess this is a valid alternative if you keep your icons hidden. It must be a pain to hide them all though.

Why would it be a pain? I don't understand why people clutter their desktop with icons. I typically delete all shortcuts that are created there and all I am really hiding is the recycle bin. Sometimes I use the desktop as a staging area for files when I am working on a project, and then I can easily navigate to the desktop folder in explorer if I don't feel like showing the icons. I'm all for easily hiding or showing desktop icons. The half-visible icons look too much to me like the have been cut and are waiting to be pasted somewhere. Everybody has their own preferences, of course.

Ahh... So you are using the Hidden attribute for the icons? I guess that works. I like to be able to see the hidden icons, as I root around my drive a lot. I guess this is a valid alternative if you keep your icons hidden. It must be a pain to hide them all though.

1qpdzc.jpg

This is what was meant by using the built-in Windows feature for hiding desktop icons... sorry to burst your bubble.

1qpdzc.jpg

This is what was meant by using the built-in Windows feature for hiding desktop icons... sorry to burst your bubble.

Learn something new every day.. Thanks.