Supreme Court Rules All States Must License And Recognize Same-Sex Marriages

There is already a state/county which said they would just do that, stop issuing licenses at all.

Really sad though!

I agree, it's sad, but it's within their rights to do so.

Funny thing is that although this "forces" states to accept this, it does NOTHING to force independent companies / corporations to accept it.

Isn't that where most Love/relationships start these days?

I'll show myself out now :rofl:

Most likely, but the sex always slows down :p

I agree, it's sad, but it's within their rights to do so.

Funny thing is that although this "forces" states to accept this, it does NOTHING to force independent companies / corporations to accept it.

I'm pretty sure corporations can be forced to accept it.

You are missing their point :)

God doesn't make you gay, you choose to be gay and live that horrible life style.

I think you meant to say fabulous life style. And "god" should be a bit more concerned more about the million of children dying of hunger in Africa or kids being molested by his "holy" men. What has he done? Apparently he doesn't give two f**ks about it. Remember when you talk about "god" there are people that look at you thinking ... how the hell can grown up people believe in fairy tales? But to each their own. Hope you are having a blast with your heterosexual "life style". 

What a bunch of BS.

All the SCOTUS said amounts to States cannot deny a marriage license based on sexual preference / orientation. Nowhere does it say they MUST issue marriage licenses at all. Marriage licenses are a "State" issue.

So a State could simply stop issuing marriage licenses to anyone seeking legal marriage, and that would not run afoul of this decision.

So nobody gets married in that state?

That'll show them!

The immaturity in a state government doing that is off the charts. Thats childish garbage.

I think you meant to say fabulous life style. And "god" should be a bit more concerned more about the million of children dying of hunger in Africa or kids being molested by his "holy" men. What has he done? Apparently he doesn't give two f**ks about it. Remember when you talk about "god" there are people that look at you thinking ... how the hell can grown up people believe in fairy tales? But to each their own. Hope you are having a blast with your heterosexual "life style". 

Read again what I said, please :)

Nowhere did I state that was my point of view

One of my coworkers is a lot younger than most engineers, a great guy.  He is kind of a pretty boy, so we tease him a lot, but a nerd at heart so we all like him (he has a forearm length tattoo that is in elfish - says "Lord of the Rings")
He moved to Oak Lawn, which is highly concentrated of homosexual residents.  He isnt gay, but he wanted to love in a nice part of town.  (Oak Lawn/ Turtle Creek is very nice area)

He summed it up perfectly, "all of my neighbors are really nice, they accept me 100% even though I am different than most... how can that not be a great place to live ?.... plus its really fancy over there !"

I like this guy.

• Like 1

compared to an infinite god i'm pretty sure that we're less than pixils on a screen.

So you are agreeing with the OP that god IS a first rate ###### or that he shouldn't care about where we stick our ######? After all, we're EVEN LESS than pixels on a screen.

been my idea the whole time. Government should have no place in marriage. why does the government need to know who my bed partner is? The rallying cry of the gay rights movement has been to get the government out of people's bed room... but that's exactly what they are doing... inviting the government into their bedroom

Was this really your idea the "whole time" or was it only after you realized the anti same-sex marriage side was going to lose?

So nobody gets married in that state?

That'll show them!

The immaturity in a state government doing that is off the charts. Thats childish garbage.

That's the religious right's version of taking their balls and going home.

No, we're saying that if a gay man is made to date -women-, THEN he's likely to end up depressed.  His only option then, at least according to some, is to not date anyone. That means he's going to be lonely all his life, and therefore probably depressed.

Why should he have to go through that, when those trying to force him to, get to be happy?

Let's turn it on its head.  Say, for the sake of argument, a law was passed that forbade you from dating or marrying women. Not just the woman you happen to love, ANY women. Would you be happy with that? Could you live with the prospect that you'd never have a partner you loved?

And I never said anything about forcing gay men to date women, so once more ask you what you are talking about? And I'd probably be somewhat alright with it knowing that being with someone I "love" doesn't need to certified by a public institution. Marriage as a legal construct has absolutely nothing to do with love. You could hate someone and still marry them, legally.

In the beginning, man created god.
Its pretty obvious we created him in our image because he just happens to hate all the things they hated back then, and just happens to love all the things we loved back then.
Now times have changed, and people are constantly having to tweak what their god loves and hates.

This seems pretty obvious to me - anyone else ?

In the beginning, man created god.

Its pretty obvious we created him in our image because he just happens to hate all the things they hated back then, and just happens to love all the things we loved back then.

Now times have changed, and people are constantly having to tweak what their god loves and hates.

This seems pretty obvious to me - anyone else ?

Man, you must be considered a heretic where you're from, if your user name is any indication of where you're from. :)

• Like 2

Man, you must be considered a heretic where you're from, if your user name is any indication of where you're from. :)

I have a shirt that has the jesus fish, but it is morphed into a rocket ship.  Inside the "fish" instead of jesus, it says "science"

One time a guy said, "You're brave for wearing that around here"

I have another shirt that has Jesus riding a Velociraptor rodeo-style-  most people love that shirt.

Only 1 time did someone say something to me , my reply went way over her head, Im sure she is still trying to figure out what I meant by it...

Here is what is funny -

My team @ work consists of about 10 network engineers - about 80% are either atheist, or agnostic

(we know this because at times when its slow, and we are all in a secured area, topics of discussion pop up in all types)

That's the religious right's version of taking their balls and going home.

As if they had balls.

:p

So you are agreeing with the OP that god IS a first rate ###### or that he shouldn't care about where we stick our ######? After all, we're EVEN LESS than pixels on a screen.

Was this really your idea the "whole time" or was it only after you realized the anti same-sex marriage side was going to lose?

is 2007 late enough for you

http://ngemu.com/threads/county-clerk-protests-calif-gay-marriage-law.84895/#post-1077869

I'm not saying god is anything. I'm an atheist... but I was classically educated and know my bible very well. Most people have never read the whole text in their lives. Most people have never made it past Genesis and only really go on the happy imagery they find in children's illustrated bibles and quotes taken far out of context that make the bible to be far less judgmental and far more about love than it actually is. The fact is, the people who I've seen most closely follow the bible's teachings is the Westboro Baptist Church. Their only big problem is that in order to get attention they act like complete ###### in public. Jesus said that people would be hated for their belief in him.. and that's true. What those people don't realize is that people hate them because they are complete asshats in the way they believe.. not what they believe.

Seta-San, Feb 4, 2007

The entire reason marriage has any laws is that the government wants to promote strong families and and the bearing of children which is why they have stuff like the child incentive tax rebate and such. 

And you were in part wrong back then as well. While the promotion of families is part in more modern times, it's far from entirely the reason now nor was it in the past. Government's role in marriage goes well beyond the promotion of families. Just go through the list of benefits and protections that's granted through marriage and you'ed see that children are only but a part of it. These protections and benefits equally fit to those who don't have children. Any legal aspect related to marriage can ONLY be there because of government support. This goes back to the beginning of marriage itself. Any agreements made between those getting married, their families had to have a backing of said agreement, which was backed by who ever or what ever governing body was there during that time. 

I'm not saying god is anything. I'm an atheist... but I was classically educated and know my bible very well. Most people have never read the whole text in their lives. Most people have never made it past Genesis and only really go on the happy imagery they find in children's illustrated bibles and quotes taken far out of context that make the bible to be far less judgmental and far more about love than it actually is. The fact is, the people who I've seen most closely follow the bible's teachings is the Westboro Baptist Church. Their only big problem is that in order to get attention they act like complete ###### in public. Jesus said that people would be hated for their belief in him.. and that's true. What those people don't realize is that people hate them because they are complete asshats in the way they believe.. not what they believe.

Well said

Like I said in another post - since we created god, we need to remake him for our more modern thinking.  Get rid of the stupid crap demeaning women (its OK to rape as along as you marry and give the chick's dad 50 silver pieces), get rid of the slavery (quite popular back then.) 

Get rid of the crap like how your hair should look, how women need to act,.... blah blah blah I could go on for days.

Basically, since it stole parts of Buddhism it needs to be more like it - basically, "just be nice to all living things - you'll be happy - they'll be happy and everyone will get along"

At least thats what I think

OK, but I'm not sure what this has to do with your post about SimCity.

And you were in part wrong back then as well. While the promotion of families is part in more modern times, it's far from entirely the reason now nor was it in the past. Government's role in marriage goes well beyond the promotion of families. Just go through the list of benefits and protections that's granted through marriage and you'ed see that children are only but a part of it. These protections and benefits equally fit to those who don't have children. Any legal aspect related to marriage can ONLY be there because of government support. This goes back to the beginning of marriage itself. Any agreements made between those getting married, their families had to have a backing of said agreement, which was backed by who ever or what ever governing body was there during that time. 

He was wrong about more than just that.

if they can find a religion that will have them, then by all means... but more likely they will end up making their own churches that allow it which would basically make their efforts pointless because what they are looking for more than anything is for society approval and acceptance of their living arrangements. And if most states are anything like Nebraska they won't be getting that kind of acceptance anywhere. there's serious grassroots traditionalism building in america to counter secular progressive forces and so far since the traditionalists have been fighting back over the past decade they have been winning.

So much for "grassroots traditionalism".

Christian clerics were performing same sex marriages in the 4th century. It didn't become a big deal until the 13th century.

Source for same-sex Christian marriages in the 4th century?