[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

This thread is for discussion of the RTM release of Windows 10.

Latest RTM with Hotfixes Build Number10240.16393.amd64fre.th1_st1.150717-1719

RTM Build Number10.0.10240.16384

RTM Announcement Posting: Windows 10 has been released to manufacturing

Dates
RTM Release to Partners/OEMs: July 15th 2015
Upgrade Roll-out for Main Channels: July 29th 2015
Retail Sale: July 31st 2015

Links
Front Page News: Windows 10 - https://www.neowin.net/news/tags/windows_10
Windows 10 for Phones - https://www.neowin.net/news/tags/windows_10/_for_phones/windows_phone/
Windows 10 Editions (comparison chart): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Last Update to info above: Updated: 7/21/2015 7:45PM EST

windows-10-icon-gradient-01_story.jpg

Note, Discussion in this topic should be kept to actual postings related to RTM. Off-topic comments will be relocated to the Beta forums or removed.

For discussion on the previous or future Insider Preview (Beta/Test) builds, please head over to this topic : Windows 10 Insider Preview

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What about those of us that are in the Insider preview? Should we post here or in that thread?

Insider preview discussion should stay in the insider preview forum. :)

This thread will focus on specific issues/features that may not be present between the past and future insider preview builds.

I've got my Samsung tablet ready to upgrade, won't do it on my desktop just yet, going to hold off on that for a bit, maybe till September when my workload is on the decline and I don't need the desktop 24/7.

My tablet is ready too. Just did a clean 8.1 install and waiting for RTM update. It is crazy how slow 8.1 is at everything including sleep/resume.

I'm on insider currently but closer to the 29th will drop back to Windows 7 and get ready for the rtm rollout. 

Funny, I don't see any official announcements of it going RTM.

They generally keep silent about it. 

Yeah I don't understand why Microsoft is still doing the whole radio silence thing. What's to lose by them officially announcing RTM at the WPC today? Keeping it secret so only OEMs and Microsoft employees know benefits nobody. 

Thankfully there are always brave anonymous sources and enterprising tech journalists who unearth information. 

The waiting begins... Happy with how 10 has shapped up over the disaster that was Windows 8. Now just don't screw up 10 MS.

The waiting begins... Happy with how 10 has shapped up over the disaster that was Windows 8. Now just don't screw up 10 MS.

I thought it can't be broken once it's RTM...Isn't it so?

I was hoping that the Insiders would get the RTM build the same day the Partners/OEMs do. Would make a lot more sense :)

Same here,buddy.They say the hope dies at last,they're right.

Service packs no longer exist, they stopped service packs after Windows 7 SP1, they are doing incremental updates now, 10.1 is the next update, it might be out in between this fall and early next year.

Service packs no longer exist, they stopped service packs after Windows 7 SP1, they are doing incremental updates now, 10.1 is the next update, it might be out in between this fall and early next year.

Yes and no, Redstone update 1 & 2 are coming....

Don't forget the monthly cumulative updates that came out for Windows 8x as well.

I read the article, but the way I took it the 10240 build could be just another preview build and not RTM.  Is there somewhere else which validates 10240 as the actual RTM build version?  I remember reading that there would be another in-between update via Windows Update instead of the full downloads after they shut that system down.  It was over on Thurrot's site here

Yes and no, Redstone update 1 & 2 are coming....

Don't forget the monthly cumulative updates that came out for Windows 8x as well.

Oh okay, I didnt know that there were 2 redstone updates. I thought it was just 1 redstone update.

I read the article, but the way I took it the 10240 build could be just another preview build and not RTM.  Is there somewhere else which validates 10240 as the actual RTM build version?  I remember reading that there would be another in-between update via Windows Update instead of the full downloads after they shut that system down.  It was over on Thurrot's site here

Mary Jo Foley also said that 10240 is the RTM build

redstone will be a new build I bet, now are they going to call it 10.1.xxxxx or just bump the build number only?  I figure since you have the second digit you might as well use the damn thing for once, call it 10.1 and then restone 2 should be 10.2 and so on.