[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

1 hour ago, zhangm said:

What is the outcome if you run the command wsreset (I just ran from Powershell but you might be able to run from cmd or directly from start)?

Well, two separate error messages depending on where it was inputted.

In cmd prompt (admin) it gives the following:  ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches   Element not found.

In PS (admin) it gives the following:  ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches   Class not registered

Further Google searching regarding these two messages yielded nothing that corrected the issue.  Microsoft's apps diagnostic came back clean.  Running the following was also unsuccessful in correcting the issue.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

• 4 weeks later...

by the way guys I have an update I forgot to post, my updating issues have been fixed, the CDN in my isp's network hosting the updates was been synced very late causing me to have wait ages for updates and has been fixed now.

• 1 month later...

So I'm on the newest 1511 version, all updates applied, but no audio all of a sudden. Windows thinks it's sending sound but nothing comes out of my devices speakers or headphones. It's a Samsung smart pc hybrid. Anyone else run into this problem?

On 12/5/2015 at 8:01 AM, Stoffel said:

If you want the new ISO can you still use the old mediacreationtool.exe or do you need a new version?

If so can somebody point me in the right direction, please? Or will the original file just point to the new iso?

I tried the media creation tool some time AFTER the release of 10586.xx, the most recent and I got an older build. I'm kind of wondering what's going on? seems strange to release a new build and have the media creation tool give us an old build, unless they rectified this issue and put up the latest build. but I guess it doesn't matter all that much as your system will update anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always want to Facepalm when the Windows Calculator asks me if I want to rate it :D . I'm just thinking ....."Zip it Calculator....shutup and just be a calculator!"

• Like 3

So, I had a pretty good update to Win10 on Monday.  Took about 30min to install.  After the update....

·         All my IE shortcuts were gone.  Had to recreate them

·         My background image, was gone.  Had to reselect it.

·         RSAT was gone, had to reinstall the RSAT tools.

·         All the preinstalled apps I removed from the start menu were back. Had to uninstall every one of them.

·         Windows has to reindex all my files/emails.

Fun fun

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 6:23 PM, chrisj1968 said:

I tried the media creation tool some time AFTER the release of 10586.xx, the most recent and I got an older build. I'm kind of wondering what's going on? seems strange to release a new build and have the media creation tool give us an old build, unless they rectified this issue and put up the latest build. but I guess it doesn't matter all that much as your system will update anyway. 

10586 is kind of a SP for 10240.

That may justify their choice.

Anyone else getting the bug where the taskbar will flicker in and out of focus if you watch a fullscreen video (YouTube for me) on 1 or 2 monitors in the latest fast release?

4 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Anyone else getting the bug where the taskbar will flicker in and out of focus if you watch a fullscreen video (YouTube for me) on 1 or 2 monitors in the latest fast release?

I only got this when using Chrome + Flash for videos. Edge + Flash or HTML5 videos didn't do it for me.

Just curious if others are having similar problems with Edge. 

Situation - Google as default search engine (haven't tested with Bing or other search engines as default...I assume the results would be the same)

Typing in Edge's address/search bar:

Microsoft (google displays results for Microsoft)

Microsoft Windows (google displays results for Microsoft Windows)

However, as soon as you put a "." in there ... for example searching for Windows 8.1 gives the following

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this

Make sure you’ve got the right web address: http://windows%208.1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:23 AM, chrisj1968 said:

I've heard it gives you thirty days on the initial tree in case you need to roll back.  I find this extremely silly since 10586 is notably better, but I'm sure they had a reason.

2 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

However, as soon as you put a "." in there ... for example searching for Windows 8.1 gives the following

I have not seen this issue for many months. However, I do remember when I was experiencing it in Edge (using Bing as the default search engine).

I do recall seeing this issue described in the Feedback Hub every once in a while under the most recent items, so it seems that multiple people continue to see this problem.

3 minutes ago, zhangm said:

I have not seen this issue for many months. However, I do remember when I was experiencing it in Edge (using Bing as the default search engine).

I do recall seeing this issue described in the Feedback Hub every once in a while under the most recent items, so it seems that multiple people continue to see this problem.

So you're not seeing it on your Edge.  Is it version 25.10586.0.0 (which I assume is the latest release on regular builds)?

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

So you're not seeing it on your Edge.  Is it version 25.10586.0.0 (which I assume is the latest release on regular builds)?

No, this is 34.14291.1001.0, on the latest Insider build (oops, need to read the thread titles :P). The issue was resolved for me before 2016 rolled around, but I see feedback continuing to trickle in about this at a fairly constant rate. At least, there's nothing indicating that the search engine is the problem, more so something to do with Edge.

1 minute ago, zhangm said:

No, this is 34.14291.1001.0, on the latest Insider build (oops, need to read the thread titles :P). The issue was resolved for me before 2016 rolled around, but I see feedback continuing to trickle in about this at a fairly constant rate. At least, there's nothing indicating that the search engine is the problem, more so something to do with Edge.

Cool...thanks.  I didn't want to create a new thread just for this minor issue...and didn't see one dedicated just for Edge.  Figured this was a suitable place even though the titles Window version is a lot older (maybe the OP can edit title for this "sticky" thread?).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop to Windows 10 Pro last night, I got a bit worried at one point in the first step of the install where it's copying files, it got stuck at 86% for the longest time, I thought it was frozen, but then just as I was thinking about doing a hard restart, it jumped up to the 90s and kept going.

The upgrade also took a bit longer because I chose to check for updates, it was fine though since I went right to 10586.218, yay for cumulative updates!.    Only one app I use had an issue, but I fixed it this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

So our main IT staff have not provided us with a Windows 10 Pro ISO.

Does anyone here know where I can download an official Windows 10 Pro x64 and x86 ISO?

We have a KMS server to authenticate, however I don't believe our license if for the "Enterprise" version.

Any help would be great. Legit channels too, I will be using SFC to make sure the files are safe.

Thanks,
norseman

8 hours ago, norseman said:

Hi there,

So our main IT staff have not provided us with a Windows 10 Pro ISO.

Does anyone here know where I can download an official Windows 10 Pro x64 and x86 ISO?

We have a KMS server to authenticate, however I don't believe our license if for the "Enterprise" version.

Any help would be great. Legit channels too, I will be using SFC to make sure the files are safe.

Thanks,
norseman

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• 2 weeks later...

I have my phone USB-tethered to my PC for internet. With every connection, I'm getting this annoying "discover netowrk" popup.

How do I permanently disable that?

discovernetwork.jpg

2 hours ago, skylinestar said:

I have my phone USB-tethered to my PC for internet. With every connection, I'm getting this annoying "discover netowrk" popup.

How do I permanently disable that?

discovernetwork.jpg

Does the name of the network keep changing every time you connect or is it always called Network 7?   If the name doesn't change then the message should never pop up each time you connect to the same "known network".   Otherwise I don't think there is a way to stop that prompt from coming up, I've never looked into it though, there might be a network setting that stops it from asking and picks a default choice for every network.

26 minutes ago, George P said:

Does the name of the network keep changing every time you connect or is it always called Network 7?   If the name doesn't change then the message should never pop up each time you connect to the same "known network".   Otherwise I don't think there is a way to stop that prompt from coming up, I've never looked into it though, there might be a network setting that stops it from asking and picks a default choice for every network.

The network # does increase.

31 minutes ago, skylinestar said:

The network # does increase.

Yeah, it keeps thinking it's a different network so it keeps asking you, can you make the name stop changing?  If it's the same name each time then it won't keep asking you.

12 hours ago, George P said:

Yeah, it keeps thinking it's a different network so it keeps asking you, can you make the name stop changing?  If it's the same name each time then it won't keep asking you.

I've no idea how.