[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Can someone confirm if that link working? Getting page not found error but then I am on my phone with JS off

Works fine here.

Expect a number of patches to get pushed out till the 29th, they're still bug fixing, but OEMs needed something to install on new hardware, it's all about deadlines.

• Like 2

I created an ISO from the EN_GB ESD file downloaded from Windows Update.

During installation I used the generic key (the one that ends with 3V66T) and my build says it is activated.

Going to try this shortly. Creating a bootable ISO as we speak.

On the same day though? not like they could have slipped that in before they released RTM, then again, will prob be in the version we get on 29th

Builds often go through days of testing to determine if they're suitable for release, during which a security flaw was found. They can't keep delaying the release when they discover a new security flaw or it would never be released.

Microsoft stated that there would be numerous updates between now and release. It's completely normal.

You guys notice, on Start>Run>winver.exe

It shows it is licensed to your Microsoft Account e-mail address. :)

Mmm ... not for me, it seems to be licensed to 'Microsoft'

No mention of any email address?

I was part of the Windows Insider program, but never actually installed Windows 10, but now it's hit RTM I want to install it! I know I can't get it from the Insider website, so what's the best way to go about it now? If I download the RTM build from wherever, can I upgrade my current Windows 8 installation without needing a key...?

Builds often go through days of testing to determine if they're suitable for release, during which a security flaw was found. They can't keep delaying the release when they discover a new security flaw or it would never be released.

Microsoft stated that there would be numerous updates between now and release. It's completely normal.

Exactly - it's been the case going back to NT (in other words, pre-9x).

Besides, didn't Vista and 7 (and XP, for that matter) have last-day patches?

State of the Roll-Out:

Big Pavilion - complete (update from 10166 via WU overnight)

Desktop - complete (update from 10166 via WU overnight)

Baby Pavilion - downloading in progress

Exactly - it's been the case going back to NT (in other words, pre-9x).

Besides, didn't Vista and 7 (and XP, for that matter) have last-day patches?

They did, or first-day patches.

Can anyone else customise the icons in the system tray? When I click the 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar' option in System > Notifications & actions the window just disappears.

For anyone interested, some dude created the ISOs from the ESD file downloaded through Windows Update for Windows 10 RTM Build 10240. They appear to be legit.

Yes and they do still retain the Microsoft digital signatures.

Can anyone else customise the icons in the system tray? When I click the 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar' option in System > Notifications & actions the window just disappears.

Yeah, it works fine here.

I wonder if the version released on the 29th will have these fixes and updates in place. 

Also, will future updates include optimizations and fixes, or will it be bugfixes only like Windows 7 gets now?

Yeah, it works fine here.

Darn, looks like something's gone wrong at my end. How annoying. It's a pretty clean install, so I don't understand it.

I wonder if the version released on the 29th will have these fixes and updates in place. 

Also, will future updates include optimizations and fixes, or will it be bugfixes only like Windows 7 gets now?

They'll be downloaded at the same time as the upgrade, so consumers won't even realise they're there. As for updates, we know that the autumn release will include new features and the Redstone update next year will as well - whether we see smaller updates inbetween is an unknown.

Didn't for me, seems you have to upgrade first, grab the key they give you, then install (so i have been reading), unless there is an issue with MS activation servers? I used the generic key that has been mentioned on a clean install, and I am greeted with Windows is not activated, and the nice error of this key cannot be used to activate.

So will use a win 7 install, then I'll upgrade, grab key and try a clean install again.

This may change come the 29th

Didn't for me, seems you have to upgrade first, grab the key they give you, then install (so i have been reading), unless there is an issue with MS activation servers? I used the generic key that has been mentioned on a clean install, and I am greeted with Windows is not activated, and the nice error of this key cannot be used to activate.

So will use a win 7 install, then I'll upgrade, grab key and try a clean install again.

This may change come the 29th

I've upgraded -> grabbed the key

Made my bootable device (thanks for tips) -> Can I use the same key when I'll install the RTM on my next PC? (laptop)

Cant say for sure, but from my understanding, you need an official key per device, so you will need a different one for each machine.

But as I say that is my understanding, I could be wrong

Cant say for sure, but from my understanding, you need an official key per device, so you will need a different one for each machine.

But as I say that is my understanding, I could be wrong

Insiders all seem to be getting the same serial number, someone posted the last section of it and mine was the same.

If its the one ending 3V66T - I used that, it will allow me to do a clean install from DVD, but when I look in Windows it says that windows is not activated, and that I cant use the key to activate, will fire up the Win10 VM i have (once the PC have finished scanning) and see what number I have there.

Currently upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on laptop so will see what happens with that

Same thing happened to me after upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers. GeForce GTX 750 Ti here. Tried rolling back to the 353.30 drivers, but the cursor was still stretched out, and made selecting text a little frustrating. Ended up changing the text cursor to one of the other ones (beam_r.cur I believe) which I'm growing to like, actually. The cursor now appears normally.

Welcome to RTM where with WHQL drivers the cursor doesnt even work.

If Microsoft and its partners cant get the cursor to work on the release version THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD.

Insiders all seem to be getting the same serial number, someone posted the last section of it and mine was the same.

Thanks,I'll let you know when I'll have the new PC.

Welcome to RTM where with WHQL drivers the cursor doesnt even work.

If Microsoft and its partners cant get the cursor to work on the release version THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD.

Baring in mind that those drivers are over a month old and were WHQL against a different build of Windows 10, I do agree though that if Nvidia do not release a set of drivers on or about the 29th to support the release version of Windows 10, then there are going to be a lot of ###### off people out there

Jesus, I just don't understand Microsoft.  Somehow they introduced a bug in KB3064209 in early June that only affects Pentium G3258 users in which you get stuck in a boot loop.  This CPU microcode update obviously was also ported into later Win10 builds as 10130 onwards, G3258 users got stuck in the same boot loop they were seeing in Win7/8 with KB3064209 installed.  And to no surprise 10240 still has this present. -_-  Which right now makes it literally impossible to update or install Windows 10 on any G3258 system.  It is baffling me and other users as any other CPU model seems to be fine including all others in the G32xx series.  So the "Anniversary Edition" Pentium G3258 gets hosed currently.  Wish there was a way to wave my arms in the air and scream to get Microsoft's attention so that they can address this major issue with their broken microcode update.

Well you can get their attention via the Insider Forums.

Currently it is crunch time over at MS so there might not be anyone serious that will look at your issue and ontop of that you will get some community "know it all" mod before someone with authority gives you a proper answer to your issue.

Collect all G3258 users from whichever forum / communities they reside on. (make a hot post and link it to the Insider forum post that you will make)

It might take a while for someone to take notice but keep getting other users to also confirm the issue. 

This btw comes from experience. I was dealing with a bootloop bug which affected AMD switchable graphics systems since Windows 8.1. Naturally AMD was contacted but they didn't fix anything.

So we leveraged a graphics community to complain to MS about this AMD issue ... after a few mega threads on the Insider forums an MS guy in charge of graphics got in touch with us and started the process of getting the bootloop fixed.

MS does listen.. you just need to be organized.