[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Then how can I fix that issue I'm having? What a complete oversight, to not allow you to delete your account.

Mail seems to sync on a clean install, besides that it doesn't seem to recognize I'm an insider and it says that it needs to be activated... >.>

Mail tile itself is not showing any info except it's icon.

MS screwed up on this build in my opinion.

Mail seems to sync on a clean install, besides that it doesn't seem to recognize I'm an insider and it says that it needs to be activated... >.>

Yeah, unfortunately we have to wait until the 29th to do clean installs properly.

Yeah, unfortunately we have to wait until the 29th to do clean installs properly.

I'm going back to 8.1 I suppose and then wait till the 29th, I'm done with half working upgrade installs, need to get some work done on this machine :p

I think MS forgot to remove the beta smiley face from IE.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Lol

Jump list frequent files are turned off in settings, just search for jumplist. 

Different action center GUI wouldn't make sense. it works great for both touch and mouse. so why make an entirely different GUI for desktop for... no reason other than "different"...

It's not about different UI. It's about different settings - height, width, position etc. It does make sense. Why desktop users should suffer because of tablet users?

Anyone know why my start menu is frickin huge even with no tiles?

startmenu.png

edit: Resized it by dragging from the outer right edge  :blush:

• Like 2

It's not about different UI. It's about different settings - height, width, position etc. It does make sense. Why desktop users should suffer because of tablet users?

See previous reply, same argument still apply. no one is suffering. 

• Like 1

I installed the RTM build today, on my Linux notebook in dual-boot. Overall, I like it, I had no problems installing all my apps or drivers, but I was really surprised to see that I am less productive in Win 10 than I am on elementary, meaning that I have to do more "clicks" to get where I want to. Also, there's one thing I really can't live with: in Windows, the cpu cooler is a LOT noisier than in elementary, it drives me insane because there's no high cpu activity or high temperature. That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. In elementary, it's so quiet and I love it. 

So, for the time being, I'll pass on Win 10.

So I'm assuming I can safely upgrade my retail and activated Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? Does it provide you with a Windows 10 retail key after install or will that be available on the 29th?

I'd like to do the upgrade now, but if I have to format and install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 from Windows update to get my retail key....I'll just wait.

I installed the RTM build today, on my Linux notebook in dual-boot. Overall, I like it, I had no problems installing all my apps or drivers, but I was really surprised to see that I am less productive in Win 10 than I am on elementary, meaning that I have to do more "clicks" to get where I want to. Also, there's one thing I really can't live with: in Windows, the cpu cooler is a LOT noisier than in elementary, it drives me insane because there's no high cpu activity or high temperature. That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. In elementary, it's so quiet and I love it.

So, for the time being, I'll pass on Win 10.

Higher CPU load soon after a new install could be attributed to things like search indexing. Not saying you didn't and that is why, but I'll just use this opportunity to recommend users to evaluate such things only after at least two days of use. Same thing is btw often going on with new OS X upgrades among Mac users.
  • Like 1

Higher CPU load soon after a new install could be attributed to things like search indexing. Not saying you didn't and that is why, but I'll just use this opportunity to recommend users to evaluate such things only after at least two days of use. Same thing is btw often going on with new OS X upgrades among Mac users.

I know about that, and I already said it wasn't cpu load. I looked in task manager and the cpu was at about 12%, I really don't think that's high. 

So I'm assuming I can safely upgrade my retail and activated Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? Does it provide you with a Windows 10 retail key after install or will that be available on the 29th?

I'd like to do the upgrade now, but if I have to format and install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 from Windows update to get my retail key....I'll just wait.

I don't think so. The way I understand it, you have to be running a licensed version of Windows 8.1 or 7 in order to qualify for the free upgrade on the 29th.

I don't think so. The way I understand it, you have to be running a licensed version of Windows 8.1 or 7 in order to qualify for the free upgrade on the 29th.

I just said I have a licensed version of Windows 8.1. Retail and activated.

My free upgrade is "reserved" according to my Windows 10 tray icon. Just want to know if I can do it now instead of waiting until the 29th.

So far I have done the following twice in 2 different VMs. Both VMs were 8.1 with media center. I upgraded them to the 10240 build. Both activated just fine. One of them during the upgrade I told it to keep nothing and other I told it to keep everything. I had no problems what so ever. What I want to find out is how to do that compact OS option they have bragging about.

I know about that, and I already said it wasn't cpu load. I looked in task manager and the cpu was at about 12%, I really don't think that's high. 

CPU load in task manager can lie a lot though. especially on modern CPU's that auto throttle.  Besides that HDD's also use a lot of power when running. I also would watch that monitor backlight is set to the same as what you're comparing to. 

I just said I have a licensed version of Windows 8.1. Retail and activated.

My free upgrade is "reserved" according to my Windows 10 tray icon. Just want to know if I can do it now instead of waiting until the 29th.

....lol

will we be able to obtain an .iso file to clean install? or is this free windows 10 simply the upgrade feature in 8.1?

This can't be RTM. Store app keeps crashing when downloading updates. Live tiles are screwed up when my desktop wallpaper changes.

fYqUTGs.png

It was stated there will be updates between now and the 29th. I'm under the impression they will be patches atop 10240, the build number itself won't go up (at least until the next major release).

Could someone point me to web page(s) that describe what installation methods will be available for the Windows 10 free upgrade, from Win7 SP3 Pro x64, and from Win 8.1 Pro x64. My goal is to install Win 10 Pro x64 alongside current OS in multi-boot arrangement (ie I want to retain existing OSes as-is (hopefully I can use those to validate free Win 10 installs)).  Identify whether additional drive is / are needed for the multi-boot. TIA  :)

Could someone point me to web page(s) that describe what installation methods will be available for the Windows 10 free upgrade, from Win7 SP3 Pro x64, and from Win 8.1 Pro x64. My goal is to install Win 10 Pro x64 alongside current OS in multi-boot arrangement (ie I want to retain existing OSes as-is (hopefully I can use those to validate free Win 10 installs)).  Identify whether additional drive is / are needed for the multi-boot. TIA  :)

you need to share that SP3 for Windows 7!

So, honest question. It's RTM etc; do you feel it's safe enough to upgrade and use as a main OS yet? Or should one wait? Just got new hardware, and if I'm gonna start fresh, may as well do the upgrade too, yes?