[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

So, honest question. It's RTM etc; do you feel it's safe enough to upgrade and use as a main OS yet? Or should one wait? Just got new hardware, and if I'm gonna start fresh, may as well do the upgrade too, yes?

It's already my main OS but I'll likely start clean around the 29th.

This can't be RTM. Store app keeps crashing when downloading updates. Live tiles are screwed up when my desktop wallpaper changes.

fYqUTGs.png

Looks like a graphics driver bug, I was hitting similar issues in my VM which I could trace back to the (crappy) VirtualBox WDDM driver.

Not gone, just not the default association in favor of Edge.  I think waiting for the next milestone to make Edge the default would be prudent.

So, honest question. It's RTM etc; do you feel it's safe enough to upgrade and use as a main OS yet? Or should one wait? Just got new hardware, and if I'm gonna start fresh, may as well do the upgrade too, yes?

I've been using the Beta a few builds before as my main OS. It's safe.

"Worst" things I experienced (and I can live with them) were:

• Windows acting up if I put it to Sleep (so I shut down instead for now)
  • Explorer.exe crash though very rarely
  • Pin unlock was not working on the previous build

That's pretty much it. I'm able to use it for gaming etc without performance loss whatsoever

So... What happened to the Light/Dark modes? 

1qtE81u.png

They never added a switch, AFAIK.

The only way to toggle between them that I know of is through a registry hack.

I've been using the Beta a few builds before as my main OS. It's safe.

"Worst" things I experienced (and I can live with them) were:

• Windows acting up if I put it to Sleep (so I shut down instead for now)
  • Explorer.exe crash though very rarely
  • Pin unlock was not working on the previous build

That's pretty much it. I'm able to use it for gaming etc without performance loss whatsoever

My main concern is having to do the whole "upgrade" thing later again. I really don't wanna do an upgrade to an OS on my gaming machine. 

Another day, another bug.

This time, apps and programs pinned to the taskbar open twice on click, with the second window being viewable but un-closable.

To be honest, with a fresh install, and newer drivers closer to the 29th i expect most of my current issues to vanish.

As excited as I am, I do plan on waiting at least 12-24 hours.

At the very least, if you build a system later, you can set things up to your MS account to automatically use on your new system.

My main concern is having to do the whole "upgrade" thing later again. I really don't wanna do an upgrade to an OS on my gaming machine.

You can always install the RTM build now and do a "Refresh", it's the same as a clean install but keeps the existing activation (Which an entirely clean install currently wont)

Edit: Refresh or Reset, same end result.

Darn, looks like something's gone wrong at my end. How annoying. It's a pretty clean install, so I don't understand it.

They'll be downloaded at the same time as the upgrade, so consumers won't even realise they're there. As for updates, we know that the autumn release will include new features and the Redstone update next year will as well - whether we see smaller updates inbetween is an unknown.

Cool, thanks.

Indeed now that the code is stable, or as stable as it can be I am sure they will fix it, no one wants a repeat of the vista driver mess :p

I wonder what changed in the way drivers are handled. Windows 10 really seems to be a huge upgrade under the hood, as well. It's not like they put a new skin on top of Windows 7. 

My folks have a PC running Windows 8.1, and I can still use Vista drivers just fine for hooking up an older GPS device for their boat. 8 obviously still relies on the same basic principles as Vista in terms of drivers. I wonder how much this is still true for 10./

Anyone else have Skype stuck in the Store as needing an update.... issue is, I don't even have Skype installed (desktop version I do, but not store version)

The store version of Skype isn't even supposed to be there. 

http://guardianlv.com/2015/06/microsoft-corporation-retiring-modern-skype-app-leaving-only-desktop-app/

On a related note, I hope they're going to clean up the app store for a bit before the final release. They don't need to put an Apple-like Gestapo-mentality on it, but the current free-for-all is even worse. 

I think MS forgot to remove the beta smiley face from IE.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I think IE isn't even supposed to be automatically installed on W10. As far as I understood, it's only there for web developers to mess around with for testing backwards compatibility. Microsoft wants IE to die. 

I wonder what changed in the way drivers are handled. Windows 10 really seems to be a huge upgrade under the hood, as well. It's not like they put a new skin on top of Windows 7.

A lot could have changed between the build Nvidia used and the RTM, remember MS have been squashing bugs doing tweaks here and there to improve performance, so many things could have changed, also it's not like Nvidia are known for having the greatest of drivers anyway.

A lot could have changed between the build Nvidia used and the RTM, remember MS have been squashing bugs doing tweaks here and there to improve performance, so many things could have changed, also it's not like Nvidia are known for having the greatest of drivers anyway.

Will 29th make some changes in that way?

You've said something about sharing a license by multiple devices (2) as long as I only have 1 device running Windows 10...It's the same thing if I try to see that in a VM?

Your own ISO (made from the downloaded .ESD from WU) isn't basically the same with Microsoft's further ISO?

I dont know about the 29th, as others have said, there will be updates for Windows 10 when it comes out.

You can only use ONE key on ONE machine, you cannot use the same key on multiple machines. (unless it's a volume licence)

So I upgraded to RTM build and installed my HP Photosmart 7520 driver and at the end it popped up a browser window and it says Internet Explorer.... Not Microsoft Edge... I thought IE was gone in Windows 10?

That wallpaper looks good, care to share?

I dont know about the 29th, as others have said, there will be updates for Windows 10 when it comes out.

You can only use ONE key on ONE machine, you cannot use the same key on multiple machines. (unless it's a volume licence)

What if I have another Insider account...(that has been used for sign-in at a previous build)

Wil it activate the RTM build in case of a clean install on another PC?(empty HDD,never used by Windows before)

What if I have another Insider account...(that has been used for sign-in at a previous build)

Wil it activate the RTM build in case of a clean install on another PC?(empty HDD,never used by Windows before)

During my tests the generic key allowed me to do a clean install, but it wouldn't activate Windows 10, and even Gabe said that there is no path to do a clean install yet, just an upgrade from previous Windows, so your best bet is to wait till MS gives out the ISO

On the same day though? not like they could have slipped that in before they released RTM, then again, will prob be in the version we get on 29th

They have to have a code freeze at some point to test against otherwise things never get out the door. Far easier to push what you have tested and release a patch than re-test everything again before push. There really needs to be some kind of crazy totally machine killing bug to delay a whole build for.