[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Windows 10 build 10240 RTM upgraded from Windows 7. Thousands on insiders, testers, etc. have been busy prising this Windows 10 mess and nobody noticed this? On the LOGIN SCREEN? :laugh:

One more reason to wait at least 8-10 months before upgrading...a good thing I tested this in a VM instead of my main OS :laugh:

Sorry but this isn't happening on anyone else's setup that I have seen, so it's likely an issue with the VirtualBox video driver or issue with the VM setup/resources config.

• Like 2

Windows 10 build 10240 RTM upgraded from Windows 7. Thousands on insiders, testers, etc. have been busy prising this Windows 10 mess and nobody noticed this? On the LOGIN SCREEN? :laugh:

One more reason to wait at least 8-10 months before upgrading...a good thing I tested this in a VM instead of my main OS :laugh:

Doesn't happen to me. On my main machine. Testing in a VM isn't actually testing.

• Like 2

Sorry but this isn't happening on anyone else's setup that I have seen, so it's likely an issue with the VirtualBox video driver or issue with the VM setup/resources config.

That's what I thought at first so I tried again on 2 spare laptops (an Acer Aspire E1-571G and an  Asus X553MA-SX455B). I started with a clean Windows 7 SP1 install with the default drivers and without any aditional software, upgraded to Windows 10 and left it as it was. The first time I logged in it was ok but during subsequent attempts to login after booting up this issue appeared every time. The bad part is that the "Welcome" animation on the login screen keeps spinning forever and can't click on the password field or the login button and the Enter key doesn't do anyhing.

That's what I thought at first so I tried again on 2 spare laptops (an Acer Aspire E1-571G and an  Asus X553MA-SX455B). I started with a clean Windows 7 SP1 install with the default drivers and without any aditional software, upgraded to Windows 10 and left it as it was. The first time I logged in it was ok but during subsequent attempts to login after booting up this issue appeared every time. The bad part is that the "Welcome" animation on the login screen keeps spinning forever and can't click on the password field or the login button and the Enter key doesn't do anyhing.

Edit:

Stupid question by me :D

I decided to bite the bullet and install Windows 10 RTM on my main desktop with all my files and personal crap. The full install took more than 12 hours and it went flawlessly (but very slowly). I lost absolutely no files and all my files were intact and all my games worked great!

I decided to bite the bullet and install Windows 10 RTM on my main desktop with all my files and personal crap. The full install took more than 12 hours and it went flawlessly (but very slowly). I lost absolutely no files and all my files were intact and all my games worked great!

12 hours?! You probably meant to say 12 minutes which is more likely on any modern machine.

It was more than 12 hours....I have a lot of ###### on my hard drive. When I installed it on an empty computer and laptop for my kids, it took about 12 min.

Bit the bullet and in place upgraded the rig in my signature, no major problems yet. Not impressed with the function of the new start menu though, I returned to StartIsBack fairly quickly. Found the obnoxiously small font in command prompt annoying as well, had to change that. Otherwise no massive issues so far, though like some other people SFC seems to be finding corrupt files it can't fix.

Also, are there any ad blocking options in Edge? I'd like to play around with it more but the lack of ads makes me reluctant to stop using Chrome.

VirtualBox doesn't like 10 at all, the graphics driver crashes every few minutes (Sometimes fatally and takes down the VM), and even when it doesn't crash it causes graphical corruption.

I've seen it happen once or twice on a reboot on my computer (not a VM) although it goes by so fast I wouldn't be surprised most people just haven't noticed it.

Anyone know if uxtheme has or will be updated for Windows 10 RTM or if the currently available version will be OK?

I upgraded my main rig to test out apps and games. Took only 15 minutes I was very shocked at the upgrade speed. So far no complaints. I did have to install the latest AMD drivers.

I ran a test with 3DMark 05 and the result went down from 41,000 points to 38,000 in Windows 10. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly or not but I consider it surprising given that DX12 was meant to make gaming faster. Rig is in my sig and I'm running the latest 15.7 catalysts released for W10

Man i want to upgrade my windows 7 to 10 already, but worried it'll ruin that free upgrade. :| or at least make it super messy.

haven't been this excited over an  OS release since 7 :D

• Like 2

Well, it opens a popup asking if the current app is a game, so yes. What's it for, never heard of this?

The GameDVR functionality (basically a subset of GameStream or OBS).  You can record a game you are playing for later editing/posting/streaming (once we know what format it records in), and it uses fewer reasources than either OBS or XSplit GameCaster (however, it also has less functionality than other options as well).

The better question is why do you need it to be full screen?

Good question.

To everyone who complain about wasted space in settings:

Why would you want to stare at that screen if the wasted space annoys you? 

It is a settings... who cares?!

All you do is adjust whatever you need to do then close the settings... BOOM. You are done and move on.

You plan to stare at the settings all day, aren't you?

No? Then stop whining/complaining about it.

Same thing to the apps that have wasted space in some areas.. if you are using full screen.   File Explorer, for example.

Weird people these days.

Do NOT put apps in full screen if wasted space annoys you. That's simple.

If you don't like it, feel free to wipe that OS off your system and put something else on.

VirtualBox doesn't like 10 at all, the graphics driver crashes every few minutes (Sometimes fatally and takes down the VM), and even when it doesn't crash it causes graphical corruption.

Like I said before, it also happens on 2 other test laptops. I hope they fix this before July 29 otherwise as more people upgrade this issue will most likely manifest for many of them. After all, I was able to replicate the bug each time on both VM and real computers.

I ran a test with 3DMark 05 and the result went down from 41,000 points to 38,000 in Windows 10. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly or not but I consider it surprising given that DX12 was meant to make gaming faster. Rig is in my sig and I'm running the latest 15.7 catalysts released for W10

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 05 version of 3DMark doesn't support DX12 or even know about it.   You'll have to get the newest version with the DX12 Overhead API to test DX12.   Or just wait for 3DMark 12 or w/e they call the newest version.

Great, 3dMark05 with DX9 is reduced. I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to install CS:S again for a bit of nostalgia. lol.

DirectX 12 won't help 3DMark 05.

Drivers and RTM issues are likely the reason for a large score drop. Try again in a month.

Who cares about 3DMark 05? It's not even a full DX9 benchmark, and DX9 is old enough that games are not going to heavily stress modern hardware (Crysis is about it, and that's CPU bound with some slight overdraw issues)

I think you're all kinda missing the point, which really shouldn't surprise me by now. D3D 12 was supposed to bring across the board performances in all gaming, for a benchmarking suite, even an old one to perform around 10% slower is still stupid. I'm going to just hope that it's the driver because if it's the API it's bad news.

I upgraded my main rig to test out apps and games. Took only 15 minutes I was very shocked at the upgrade speed. So far no complaints. I did have to install the latest AMD drivers.

mind posting a brief rig summary?

I think you're all kinda missing the point, which really shouldn't surprise me by now. D3D 12 was supposed to bring across the board performances in all gaming, for a benchmarking suite, even an old one to perform around 10% slower is still stupid. I'm going to just hope that it's the driver because if it's the API it's bad news.

You won't get performance gains if the benchmark or game doesn't take advantage of the dX12 API at all,  As far as DX9 performance dropping that's probably just the driver, it's got nothing to do with DX12 though.   The benchmark doesn't know the new API is there, it can't take advantage of it for any performance gains, so I don't know what you expect.  No ones missing the point, you might have the wrong idea about how things work though.

So it's not true that it's going to yield gains across the board?

On a related note, this is what 3D mark told me 

Also, I was reading this and it interested me. Would this make the GPU on my processor worth turning on again, or would I have to wait for Intel and AMD to enable cross GPU support first?

post-446153-0-78691300-1437320576.jpg