[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

How many years/generations of CPU's, would the average user have to wait until they would see benefit in DX12? Would they be able to see a marked benefit with the initial Win10 machines that are coming out?

Depends on the engines their games use, if the engines support DX12 then they'll see an improvement otherwise probably not.

Games that license engines are going to lag behind games that use their own, a company like EA can turn out DX12 games much faster than somebody licensing Unreal (for example), because EA have been working with Microsoft/AMD/Nvidia on DX12 for quite a while, so they've been developing code for Frostbite support since day one basically.

Upgraded fine and it's activated without issue. Now the question is what's my product key for a clean install?

you do a refresh and you wont lose your key.

im going to upgrade my windows 7 ultimate 32bit to windows 10 pro. what build do I look for if I dont want to wait?

you do a refresh and you wont lose your key.

im going to upgrade my windows 7 ultimate 32bit to windows 10 pro. what build do I look for if I dont want to wait?

But what is my key? If they provided us with a key, it would make things easier.

I might want to change my hard drive soon.

Guess they want you to go out and buy a retail license to do clean installs. OK.

But what is my key? If they provided us with a key, it would make things easier.

I might want to change my hard drive soon.

Guess they want you to go out and buy a retail license to do clean installs. OK.

tied to MSA clean istall is a refresh pretty much no difference

Looking at https://buildfeed.net/ made me curious.

If 10240 is the RTM and they forked it into 10500 for the "threshold" update, why do they keep putting out new builds on the 102400 one? The last build is 10245. Will the version put out on the 29th have a different build number than the RTM I wonder?

If 10240 is the RTM and they forked it into 10500 for the "threshold" update, why do they keep putting out new builds on the 102400 one? The last build is 10245. Will the version put out on the 29th have a different build number than the RTM I wonder?

Maybe updated 1024x builds are for the update coming in the fall and any 10500 builds are for next year and redstone?

So how are MS going to work it for ppl that do not have or do not want an MS account?

And I cant see MS giving everyone the same key that I have seen ppl saying they have, the one ending in 3V66T, one would think that would more than likely change post 29th

tied to MSA clean istall is a refresh pretty much no difference

What if I want to repartition my drive with a clean install of windows 10? (I want to do this)

If I'll upgrade my win8.1 install to win10, then my win8.1 key becomes a win10 key? Or wtf. It's a shame that there is still no information about this.

So how are MS going to work it for ppl that do not have or do not want an MS account?

And I cant see MS giving everyone the same key that I have seen ppl saying they have, the one ending in 3V66T, one would think that would more than likely change post 29th

I have that key,do you know why? (because it has been given to everybody once with build 10162...)

P.S:I've signed up without a MS account so many times,since Windows 10 never ask for a MS account except when you want to change some PC settings...

Keep a VM on your PC and you'll figure it out.

Well I didnt have 10162, and I upgraded from a legit Windows 7 install, so I went Win 7 -> 10240, and I didnt have an MSA, I have been reading that MS are tying the HWID of a machine to ppls MSA, seeing as I dont have one was just wondering

Well I didnt have 10162, and I upgraded from a legit Windows 7 install, so I went Win 7 -> 10240, and I didnt have an MSA, I have been reading that MS are tying the HWID of a machine to ppls MSA, seeing as I dont have one was just wondering

It could be a wrong source,you know?

I like this build, except Universal apps are really unstable. I don't know if its just the platform or the guys writing these apps at MS, but some of them are just terrible. Photos crashes after being open about 10 seconds, Mail tile doesn't clear read messages, it only updates itself when a new email comes in. MSN tiles (Weather, News) haven't worked in months.

Hmmm, it happens for me seldom when i upgraded from older build, but thankfully since 10158 it hasn't re-appeared then. it does when i tried to upgrade since 10122, i think this is a store licensing issue, but you should wait till july 29th because MS has temporarily disabled online activation and deactivate all insider serial number build for those who tried to clean install.

Hmmm, it happens for me seldom when i upgraded from older build, but thankfully since 10158 it hasn't re-appeared then. it does when i tried to upgrade since 10122, i think this is a store licensing issue, but you should wait till july 29th because MS has temporarily disabled online activation and deactivate all insider serial number build for those who tried to clean install.

Weren't they saying they will re-activate it on/after 29th?

I'm currently using Win8.1. If I were to upgrade to Win10, do I have to uninstall my intel chipset inf driver and graphics driver (dated last year), then install again with the latest version?

I'm currently using Win8.1. If I were to upgrade to Win10, do I have to uninstall my intel chipset inf driver and graphics driver (dated last year), then install again with the latest version?

No.It will work as it is now.

The builds after 10240 are for the first update that is coming in the Fall of 2015, build 10500 and later are expected to be for Windows Redstone.

There are (or were) updates for the Intel Video cards downloaded from MS update when I tested out the 10240 upgrade

You maybe missunderstood. From the info available MS ties Windows Insider activations to the MSA + HWID.

The Windows 10 free upgrades will be tied to the HWID which is stored on the MS server.

The MSA isn't needed in that regard.

You maybe missunderstood. From the info available MS ties Windows Insider activations to the MSA + HWID.

The Windows 10 free upgrades will be tied to the HWID which is stored on the MS server.

The MSA isn't needed in that regard.

Good to know, as I said before so many different theories and thoughts going around about this

Good to know, as I said before so many different theories and thoughts going around about this

I was told the same thing by an MS Support Agent when testing the Support Chat in Windows 10.

Take it with a grain of salt.