[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

So with us getting TH1 Pro 10240 now, does that mean we are getting the RTM version?

Ha, okay this was just answered at the same time I was posting.

As in Microsoft married us and are carrying us into our new home :p

or it could mean in a way that its pushing the threshold (as in the limit) of what Windows is, since now its considered as a service OS

I don't believe this is THE RTM build for Windows 10. I believe this is one of the first builds okay to ship. It's stable, it works right out of the box, and it's upgradeable. This is what they want to ship, they just want to test the upgrading process first with insiders. I think what will happen is any builds going forwards can be sent to the OEMs to ship on their PCs, and these builds will simply upgrade out of the box to the latest build from Microsoft.

They make a comment saying this is getting closer to what we will get on July 29th, and they specifically mention besides BUILDS, we will get updates, etc. So yea, we are getting more builds and this might end up being the RTM image for certain OEMs while others might use newer builds for their images it seems. But all of them will upgrade.

I don't believe this is THE RTM build for Windows 10. I believe this is one of the first builds okay to ship. It's stable, it works right out of the box, and it's upgradeable. This is what they want to ship, they just want to test the upgrading process first with insiders. I think what will happen is any builds going forwards can be sent to the OEMs to ship on their PCs, and these builds will simply upgrade out of the box to the latest build from Microsoft.

They make a comment saying this is getting closer to what we will get on July 29th, and they specifically mention besides BUILDS, we will get updates, etc. So yea, we are getting more builds and this might end up being the RTM image for certain OEMs while others might use newer builds for their images it seems. But all of them will upgrade.

They even say so in the blog post

Besides builds, over the next 2 weeks you

So can we legitimately activate this yet or are we all staying on trial keys until the 29th?

So can we legitimately activate this yet or are we all staying on trial keys until the 29th?

I'm still not sure it's been discussed how to activate from previous keys when you've already installed or even if that's possible.

In other news, don't update to Nvidia 353.50, mouse cursors are still bugged in 10240, hopefully another driver will rush through before 29th.

Just installed on my SP 3. Upgraded fine, activated, got the first security update.

There is no time bomb or watermark, activated correctly (mine was an update over 8.1 to 10130 and been upgrading through WU ever since). It seems like the RTM version.

When I upgraded 10166 to 10240, it assigned a retail key that is apparently unique. When I googled the product key, no results were found.

I ran Setup.exe and it accepted this product key, which leads me to believe that a retail Windows 10 Pro key somehow got assigned to my Microsoft account already.

Interestingly, there is no mention anywhere including the EULA that this is pre-release software. Nor are there any indicators of "Evaluation"

cc3eojq.png

When I upgraded 10166 to 10240, it assigned a retail key that is apparently unique. When I googled the product key, no results were found.

I ran Setup.exe and it accepted this product key, which leads me to believe that a retail Windows 10 Pro key somehow got assigned to my Microsoft account already.

Interestingly, there is no mention anywhere including the EULA that this is pre-release software. Nor are there any indicators of "Evaluation"

cc3eojq.png

Yes it seems we got a full retail key. I had my Windows 10 updated from Windows 8.1 previous insider builds and then updated to 10240. Wonder what happened to those who did clean installs of previous builds.

I have a retail key as well. Cleaned installed to Windows 10. I did buy a Windows 8 upgrade key off of the store though (couple of years back).

It turns out the key is NOT unique. Someone on MDL pasted the key and all segments are the same as mine. 

Its a generic key its using.

Oh well.