[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

It turns out the key is NOT unique. Someone on MDL pasted the key and all segments are the same as mine. 

Its a generic key its using.

Oh well. 

So everyone's copy just shows active then?

So everyone's copy just shows active then?

Yeah it seems so. 

For instance the Pro generic for this build is  *-*-*-*-3V66T

It seems that any build that was in-place upgraded from a previous build is given that key for Pro, and its automatically activated MSA or local account. 

Yeah it seems so. 

For instance the Pro generic for this build is  *-*-*-*-3V66T

It seems that any build that was in-place upgraded from a previous build is given that key for Pro, and its automatically activated MSA or local account. 

If everyone has a generic key even after going Windows 7/8/8.1 > 10240 or Windows 7/8/8.1 > 10166 > 10240 or fresh install. Then i would say this is not final RTM.

So can we legitimately activate this yet or are we all staying on trial keys until the 29th?

Mine is showing as activated with no watermark... I upgraded from 81 to the last build that was released as ISO.

If everyone has a generic key even after going Windows 7/8/8.1 > 10240 or Windows 7/8/8.1 > 10166 > 10240 or fresh install. Then i would say this is not final RTM.

Technically this is still part of the Insider program, they are testing the WU update process and activation process. I wouldn't expect it to assign a different key until the 29th when they switch it over AND if you opt out of the Insider program. Otherwise while you are in the insider program it will continue to be the generic key.

I clean installed to a build of Windows 10 (and upgraded builds from WU). I hate upgrading from one OS version to another. Doesn't feel clean :p

Mine is showing as activated with no watermark... I upgraded from 81 to the last build that was released as ISO.

Ditto. I imagine the new activation system will come online sometime between now and the official release.

The wording of Gabe Aul's tweet tells me that this might just be another escrow rather than the official RTM build, has there been any actual confirmation yet that the build insiders are getting is indeed the RTM?

The wording of Gabe Aul's tweet tells me that this might just be another escrow rather than the official RTM build, has there been any actual confirmation yet that the build insiders are getting is indeed the RTM?

There is one thing, if you fresh install it it wont activate even with the generic key everyone is using that are activated. But there is a "Go store" option and i can buy Windows 10 for

I'm not really bothered by that, I can just opt into the insider program or leave it running in trial mode until my eligible 8.1 machine gets the upgrade on the 29th, I'm just curious to know whether this is the actual build or not because there seems to be some confusion over whether the build insiders are getting is genuinely RTM or RTM escrow.

"Escrow" means the build is being held as release. Since the departments have (apparently) all signed off on it I am assuming it is the one they're delivering to hardware manufacturers. As with Win8 there may be a patch on GA day or at least some updates but there wouldn't be much point in pushing an Insider build that isn't complete if they have one that is.

They did mention specifically on Monday that the generic Insider key would not be valid anymore after about 24 hours.

I installed this build on my Surface Pro 3 and the last 5 digits of my Windows Pro key are not what's listed above.

Woot !

rrp3rk.png

Does Aero Lite look any better on Win10 RTM? I tried it in 10166 and it looked really unfinished.

Does this build still have the advanced telemetry included? I'd rather not have the contents of my files sent back to Microsoft on a production build.

Did the $1 activation work for the RTM?

When it upgrade today to RTM it installed Pro back. So I just paid for the Pro once while on 10162. As you can see by my screen shot, it does not say Preview any longer or have the water marks in bottom right corner. It ask for me to Activate this latest Upgrade as with a regular Windows does. Have not done that yet, so do not know how long it will stay active. Probbly until July 29, then see what happens.

Upgraded my desktop without any issues at all today, running very smoothly, now I'm installing it on my Surface 3 as I type this, hopefully it will work good on it, last build was a pretty rough ride on the SF3

xendrome, don't you need to update the original post to reflect the fact that Insiders got this build on the 15th. The dates section still says Insiders: July 29.

It's a good build though, no issues so far. Welcome to the future everyone :)

Guess I will have to wait until July 29 so I can download an ISO of finished Windows 10. I want to do a Clean install on my main PC.