[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

OK here's another weird thing that keeps happening. Sometimes the taskbar flickers. Has anyone experienced this?

I think it flickers when a program gets updated, this happens to me when Google Chrome silently updates.

I've upgraded my desktop and laptop to the newest build. After that I did a windows Reset on both. (Wanted to get rid of old "gunk")

Since then, I can't connect via RDP to either machine. Keep on getting "The logon attempt failed".

Ping works, I can access network shares on both. Just the RDP access that is borked??

I've googled to no avail - hopefully someone here can shed some light?

Thanks!

Has anyone ran into the issue where the store app doesn't display text at all, it's there and you can highlight it but it's basically invisible otherwise, I only see images and some other things, it's like white text on white background.

Windows 10 had been working great for me, uptil today, was working when I received a sudden BSOD from the Windows Store. A piece of software I have not used and am not willing to use, along with the live tiles. Is there a way to completely disable the store and all the associated apps. That part of Windows 10 is totally useless to me as I use my computer as a work only device will my media / new consumption is via my mobile.

2015-09-07 18.28.18.jpg

How do you know it is the store app, and not something else?

For example, a "store" is a commonly used term to describe a data storage medium. The image you snapped screams kernel issue to me, not app store issue.....

I don't think they will release big update without big announcement!

They don't even provide changelogs now, why would they bother announce it? When TH1 was released the only announcement was from Thurrott, people wouldn't even know that was the TH1 update if it wasn't for him.

I got a 0x8024200D error according to a WindowsUpdateClient log entry in my System log. I can't now seem to get the update to reappear to try again, I'm just apparently all up to date but I've definitely not upgraded.

Any thoughts on how I can try again and update manually?

I got a 0x8024200D error according to a WindowsUpdateClient log entry in my System log. I can't now seem to get the update to reappear to try again, I'm just apparently all up to date but I've definitely not upgraded.

Any thoughts on how I can try again and update manually?

I used Microsoft's Mediacreationtool to upgrade my computers. Worked very well.

I ended up using the media tool to update. The context menus seem even worse now and the Mail app still doesn't work. No notifications of incoming mail and the live tile is showing one mail from yesterday that I deleted as soon as I got it. MS needs to clean house of all the inept app developers they hired.

• Like 2

I still haven't received the upgrade on my main machine. On my SP1 for the n-th time the associations were reset to Microsoft default apps (at least they fixed the bug where reattaching the keyboard was having the CPU usage skyrocket until the machine was reset, awesome how they don't even test their OS on their older products, right?). On another machine where it upgraded it first showed a black screen (had to reset) then halted while importing settings (had to reset again), in the end it reverted back to the previous install. That machine had a clean Win10 install with only Office/Acrobat DC/Java installed (not for the web but for a small standalone app) and yet it still failed, removing Java and messing up the wireless driver in the process so now I'll have to do another clean install (otherwise it will keep trying to upgrade and halting ad-infinitum), super-awesome! Whoever had the idea to use in-place-upgrades for standard updates should be fired on the spot, my experience was just as poor if not worse than the 8.1 upgrade.

My upgrade went fine. I did create a DVD just in case it acts stupid so I can do a clean install if necessary, but all is working fine...for now.

I just downloaded the ISO, extracted it to a folder and executed Setup.exe. Done. It took about 15 mins to do everything.

So, I see we are going again with this garbage, of this being an upgrade to a completely new OS and not an update. For ######'s sake, Microsoft.

I left the Insider program to not have to deal with this ######. So "happy" that it finally is hitting everyday users. Well done.

It's a upgrade, my tablet and laptop both upgraded without issue, what's the problem exactly with the upgrade process? What's "garbage " about it?

It's a upgrade, my tablet and laptop both upgraded without issue, what's the problem exactly with the upgrade process? What's "garbage " about it?

It shouldn't be an upgrade, and reset every god damn setting that you've made already, and reinstall every god damn driver. Also reinstall a bunch of ###### built-in apps. And take up 25GB of space if you don't know how to delete that.

It shouldn't be an upgrade, and reset every god damn setting that you've made already, and reinstall every god damn driver. Also reinstall a bunch of ###### built-in apps. And take up 25GB of space if you don't know how to delete that.

It didn't reset all my settings, so I don't know what that's about, and I don't get the 25GB bit either, if you're talking about the Windows.old folder then the size varies and secondly it gets auto deleted if you don't do it yourself.

Anger management course needed for you i think! lol

Personally i have no problems with Windows 10, it also didn't reset any of my changes.

Anger management course needed for you i think! lol

Personally i have no problems with Windows 10, it also didn't reset any of my changes.

I'm just fed up with Microsoft's behaviour over the course of this year. The ###### with OneDrive that they pulled off recently and the crap state that Mobile is in certainly doesn't help either. Also those Skype apps are god awful and designed by a blind person.

Maybe the "settings" changes are the fact it resets some services which have been disabled back to automatic! There also seems to be a few other settings that are changed, stuff like System Restore is switched back on (or was for me) and default apps are set back to original. Also all the `Modern` apps are reinstated...

When you do an in-place upgrade it reinstalls the OS, all drivers and some of the applications. It reinstalls the built-in applications you previously removed (e.g. the annoying Get Skype/Get Office apps), it may reset default applications, reset settings that the setup doesn't care about, it may remove or choose the wrong drivers and some applications may not be reinstalled. You get all the drawbacks of an OS upgrade and all this just for a few minor changes. It doesn't really sound like a sane choice to me.

When you do an in-place upgrade it reinstalls the OS, all drivers and some of the applications. It reinstalls the built-in applications you previously removed (e.g. the annoying Get Skype/Get Office apps), it may reset default applications, reset settings that the setup doesn't care about, it may remove or choose the wrong drivers and some applications may not be reinstalled. You get all the drawbacks of an OS upgrade and all this just for a few minor changes. It doesn't really sound like a sane choice to me.

I agree, if someone makes that many changes then clean installs wiping them out you expect to have to start from scratch again.

The only problem i have if i have to manually turn off 'fast booting' otherwise randomly through the week i get a blue BSOD, i have to do this after every upgrade.

The only problem I've ran into after the update is that the Windows Store app once again doesn't display all the text, it's gone invisible on me again.

I've found that wonky behavior from some apps can be fixed by removing them using the Remove-AppXPackage command in Powershell and then re-installing the app from the store (probably not a good strategy for fixing problems with the Store app). I wish every app had a complete reset button that wipes out the user data and restores everything to a canned default.

Did the upgrade with the Media Creation Tool...went well..but took several hours, counting download, removing compression and installation...but went smooth.

Speccy and both of my printers were removed..just re-installed them. Same occurred with most insider upgrades.

Did notice that my partition system restore was turned off, just put it back on again. Edge took over .pdf associations..surprised by that, I put mine back to Adobe reader again. All apps were turned on by default...changed those as well. Had to remove default "fast startup" in power options (multi boot issues if "on")

Catalyst Control left alone this time...nice...

Overall...went well.:)