[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

9 hours ago, skylinestar said:

I've no idea how.

You said this happens every time you connect your phone/tether etc?   Doesn't the phone allow you to name the network or maybe that's only for hotspot and not usb tethering?   I know on my android phone if I use wifi hotspot it lets me name the network.

On 5/7/2016 at 3:56 PM, George P said:

You said this happens every time you connect your phone/tether etc?   Doesn't the phone allow you to name the network or maybe that's only for hotspot and not usb tethering?   I know on my android phone if I use wifi hotspot it lets me name the network.

You can't name the USB-tethered network.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2016 at 1:30 PM, norseman said:

Hi there,

So our main IT staff have not provided us with a Windows 10 Pro ISO.

Does anyone here know where I can download an official Windows 10 Pro x64 and x86 ISO?

We have a KMS server to authenticate, however I don't believe our license if for the "Enterprise" version.

Any help would be great. Legit channels too, I will be using SFC to make sure the files are safe.

Thanks,
norseman

Maybe don't upgrade and give the IT staff a headache by trying to fix something when the upgrade breaks it? I'm sure you probably shouldn't be doing that on your own.

It's all good. Everything has been setup properly on their end and  activations are going through.

I'm an administrator here, it's not the end of the world. I can do what I want with my systems. They're not client facing systems, I was referring to my desktop at work.

It's now activated properly, the new KMS has been configured for Windows 10 and Office 2010-16.

Life is grand.

Are you saying that you Can't activate Windows 8.1? If that is what you have installed you will have to use it to get the Windows 10 free upgrade. The upgrade path for Windows 7 Pro is to Windows 10 Pro , 

Open the Activation window. Open the Activation window by pressing ⊞ Win + R and typing slui 3 . ...

Enter your product key. ...

Try the Command Prompt. ...

Call Microsoft if you still can't activate.

http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Windows-8.1-for-Free

I had to revert from 14361 back to 14352 because 14361 caused my DVD burner to disappear. I installed the driver for it and still nothing after a reboot. I had received a message that the registry entry was corrupt. just to warn others some hardware might not make the appearance in 14361

22 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I had to revert from 14361 back to 14352 because 14361 caused my DVD burner to disappear. I installed the driver for it and still nothing after a reboot. I had received a message that the registry entry was corrupt. just to warn others some hardware might not make the appearance in 14361

That wasn't a hardware issue, that was a DVD application you had installed that broke on upgrade.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:14 AM, George P said:

So I'm on the newest 1511 version, all updates applied, but no audio all of a sudden. Windows thinks it's sending sound but nothing comes out of my devices speakers or headphones. It's a Samsung smart pc hybrid. Anyone else run into this problem?

yes, on my budget pc (ecs h61h2-m12, intel Pentium g630, 2x2GB ddr3-1600 gskill, 2TB Toshiba hdd). clean install of version 1511 (build 10586.318), iso downloaded from Microsoft on april 25, 2016, copied into bootable Kingston usb 3.1 flash drive via rufus 2.8 )

audio will disappear until I manually installed audio driver in compatibility mode for windows 8.1. then windows update downloaded/installed 'updated' audio driver which apparently fixed the disappearing audio problem.

aside from that, problematic unresponsiveness of the pc due to 100% disk activity. I had disable windows superfetch and search via services.msc which solved the problem initially. the problem recurred a day later and is still happening until now.  I did not do another clean installation as I did not yet purchase another hdd to rule out bad hdd. I did not install mobo CD drivers (for windows 8x, 7, xp) as they are incompatible with windows 10 and ecs did not provide updated drivers for windows 10.

(edit: sorry, I did not notice the old date of 2/18/2016)

13 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Most likely your upper and lower filter keys are fubar. Not a single machine I have with the insider previews had that problem. More than likely you have a third party app installed that caused it.

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Most likely your upper and lower filter keys are fubar. Not a single machine I have with the insider previews had that problem. More than likely you have a third party app installed that caused it.

could be. But I think I should be safe with next months anniversary (Redtsone) update. my system functions 100% and did with 14361. just the DVD burner drivers was the problem.

Finally upgraded my desktop a few days ago.  I gave it about two weeks to automagically update ... but seeing that it wouldn't ... I pressed the button on Thursday.  Before pressing the button, I cloned my Windows 7 installation to my newly acquired Samsung Evo 500GB drive...making sure it would boot and would have no issues with it.  

Thurs/Fri was a bit rough.  Computer would just randomly freeze or not want to boot.  Anyway, amazing what DISM and SFC can do.  After running them, finding/fixing corruption (which I ran them prior to upgrading and found no issues) ... computer has been rock solid.

Since this is the first time I have experienced Windows 10 on multi monitors ... I'm still getting use to the mouse "sticking" when dragging a window from one screen to another.  Haven't been able to find a way to disable this ... but I think it'll be OK once I get used to it (since it snaps the window to that side).  The white title bars and start menu still suck ... but I knew that going it.  I'll probably end up putting Classic Shell on this...and just dealing with the white titlebars since Microsoft doesn't seem to think we want color (in my case black).  Really haven't seen a difference in boot up speed ... but it wasn't ever slow to begin with.  Haven't had any issues with the various games I've tried (not running any better or worse).

No problems regarding the desktop.  I went ahead and removed the previous Windows 7 installation from this install (but it is still on the Samsung Evo drive).  If you are having stability issues...I strongly recommend running sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image before you go and reset the system.

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

F I'm still getting use to the mouse "sticking" when dragging a window from one screen to another.  Haven't been able to find a way to disable this ... but I think it'll be OK once I get used to it (since it snaps the window to that side).  

Mouse shouldn't stick when dragging windows between monitors, but you can turn off snap to see, Start>Settings>System>Multitasking - to see if that fixes it.

41 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Mouse shouldn't stick when dragging windows between monitors, but you can turn off snap to see, Start>Settings>System>Multitasking - to see if that fixes it.

It does when you move "slow" from one screen to another (dunno by whose definition though).  Was going to take a video of it...but just found out my OBS isn't working (a problem for another day) ... and it really isn't that important.  Here is a screen shot of it instead ... just have to imagine (in this image) you're dragging Word from the right monitor to the left... and you can see where it is wanting to aero snap (the light gray) when I hit the monitors edge.

Untitled-1.jpg

The snap to see or "When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it" was one of the first things I found and turned off during the earlier beta builds and ever since. :)  That one is really, IMO, annoying.  This one I can get use to I think....and probably will actually save me time snapping windows (vs. the old method of Win+arrow key).  May just have to turn up acceleration a bit.

Hi Guys,

I tried updating my pc from Win7x64 to Win10 yesterday, but running into a very familiar problem. The issue that there's no keyboard and mouse after the first initial update session has run.
I got stuck on the first real upgrade Window, the one that stated your name, and you have to press "Next" to continue. Numlock on the kb and mouse are off at this point.

Managed to get through this by changing some things in the BIOS and a couple of forced reboots, but got stuck on the first real WIn10 screen, the one with the image and time.
Numlock on the kb and mouse are lit, but both unresponsive. Forced reboots don't help.

After an hour or so I gave up, and restored an image from my server, so back at running Win7 again.

Seeing this is a problem going all the way back to the first Win10 beta's, one would expect this to be fixed, or a solution available. But I haven't found it yet.

So if anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

Rob

p.s. no PS/2 kb or converters available for testing :\

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone run into an issue where their iPhone doesn't show up in Windows 10 at all?   I've got a cousin who's iPhone 6 stop showing up on your laptop, it was working just fine back in May to.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-07-07 at 4:42 PM, George P said:

Anyone run into an issue where their iPhone doesn't show up in Windows 10 at all?   I've got a cousin who's iPhone 6 stop showing up on your laptop, it was working just fine back in May to.

http://www.technipages.com/itunes-fix-iphone-or-ipod-not-detected-in-windows

Very common problem with 10.

1 hour ago, LaP said:

I've noticed, that page is one I saw when I searched but the problem is that none of the Apple devices hubs etc showed up in device manager.  It's pretty weird, then it just started working again on it's own after some time.  

23 minutes ago, George P said:

I've noticed, that page is one I saw when I searched but the problem is that none of the Apple devices hubs etc showed up in device manager.  It's pretty weird, then it just started working again on it's own after some time.  

I am too have this problem with any device not just iphone!

My workaround is by uninstalling all usb ports drivers from device manager and restarting the pc.

The drivers will reinstall again and the device will appear in device manager.

56 minutes ago, George P said:

That's another common problem with windows 10 and old PC.

If the mother board is old and is not supported by the manufacturer with updated drivers and he is using the default drivers provided by MS then he might have a problem with his USB 2 ports.

I have that problem. My MB will be 9 years old this fall and i must use the drivers provided by MS with windows 10. USB devices fail to initialize often. If they are already connected when the PC boot it's fine (like keyboard or mice). But if i connect them when the PC is already booted (iPod, external HD, camera, ...) then I must plug and unplug them many times for them to work. It can be as much as 9 times. Sometime they work first shot.

It's not as worst since the Anniversary Update. Seems to work first shot most of the time for me now.

http://www.osbetaarchive.net/topic/207-windows-10-usb-issues/

Also not allowing windows 10 to turn off USB device might help. Did not work for me but worth a try.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-issue-after-upgrade-system-to-windows-10-usb-ports-dont-work/

https://www.techperiod.com/solve-usb-device-not-recognized/

Edited by LaP

So now that the AU has been out for a good 2 weeks, can i assume that if i run the media creation tool i will download the Win10 AU ISO?

do i need to download the app itself again or the one i used for downloading Win10 v1511 will do just fine?

Can anybody shine a light on this for me?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 0:12 PM, soulburner said:

Just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch because my upgrade wasn't perfect and I have some new problems...

I can't install any Visual Studio redistributable package. The installer says "Installation did not succeed", then "Fatal error during installation". Clicking the "View log" link gives this information:

Action: Performing Action on MSI at e:\e22cf86fee07d0e13a26d1\vc_red.msi
Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Error 997.Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. ]
MSI (e:\e22cf86fee07d0e13a26d1\vc_red.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup_20150824_190952802-MSI_vc_red.msi.txt
PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
Action complete
OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.

I tried googling and binging ;) but found nothing that would work. All Windows updates installed automatically so my system is up to date. Any ideas? I can't work right now because my software demands missing DLLs :p

Have you tried downloading and installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable?

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:45 AM, Stoffel said:

So now that the AU has been out for a good 2 weeks, can i assume that if i run the media creation tool i will download the Win10 AU ISO?

do i need to download the app itself again or the one i used for downloading Win10 v1511 will do just fine?

Can anybody shine a light on this for me?

I haven't checked but MS has AU ISOs out right?  If they do, and you can d/l the ISO for 14393, then the media creation tool should get the newest build it can find on the servers.   Only way I can be 100% sure is to try it myself but I think the odds are good that it will grab the AU if you run it now.

I think the tool itself is the same, it's only backend changes that need to happen on MS' part.

I did end up downloading the ISO and just burned that to a USB stick with RUFUS.

Worked fine.

Still having the same problems in Edge when using FB though :(

• 1 month later...