[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

xendrome, don't you need to update the original post to reflect the fact that Insiders got this build on the 15th. The dates section still says Insiders: July 29.

It's a good build though, no issues so far. Welcome to the future everyone :)

Done, Thanks!

Guess I will have to wait until July 29 so I can download an ISO of finished Windows 10. I want to do a Clean install on my main PC.

ISOs can be created from the ESD, However you would need a legit key and be able to activate it. I am betting the keying system hasn't been converted over to the retail chain yet.

There are generic keys it's able to be installed with but it's only possible for it to be activated by KMS. I've heard people say upgrades from a correctly activated 8.1 install stay activated though.

Edit: Also, don't I recall something on front page news saying that once RTM was signed off that they were going to temporarily stop ISO installs and only allow upgrades to give the upgrade system a thorough test before delivering the bits on the 29th?

I'm still having all the same issues I've had from 130 up in 240..... starting to feel like a lot of issues still aren't fixed... I'm having the same issues in a VM, and two desktops... every so often I get a ms-settings:// link error for example in the new settings panels

Edit: Also, don't I recall something on front page news saying that once RTM was signed off that they were going to temporarily stop ISO installs and only allow upgrades to give the upgrade system a thorough test before delivering the bits on the 29th?

No they suspended ISO downloads. If you have the ISO already you can still do the install.

I'm sure they said they were going to do that for the reason of testing the upgrade system though. I know the ISO installs still work though.

Things I've dropped on my desktop computer's 2nd monitor... in 2011... are now showing there instead of reverting to the primary.

In 10166 if you went to Opt Out, you were greeted with this and told you must roll back to your previous OS.

ajk9McG.jpg

Now if you Opt Out in 10240 you are greeted with.

ISRDirV.jpg

So you can Opt Out and then do a refresh for a clean install.

Does anyone know how to enable the dark theme in the RTM version? Don't like the inconsistence of white and dark theme. I prefer consistence with the colors.

Does anyone know how to enable the dark theme in the RTM version? Don't like the inconsistence of white and dark theme. I prefer consistence with the colors.

It seems to be a case-by-case basis with each app.

Have anyone here seen the EULA? I just saw this: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-new-license-terms-for-windows-10-no-surprises/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f and it seems that you can move your retail license :)

You were always available to move your retail license.

I get this HUGE selection bar whenever I go to select text...what do they think I am blind or what?  This is rediculous!!!  It even shows up in Chrome, I tried changing the mouse pointers but it's still there...   O_o

Seems like most bugs and problems weren't fixed. Still lots of touch UI elements in desktop mode. Calculator and Weather bugs are still there. Search Windows main page left without any UI for countries without Cortana. Start frequently used apps remained uncustomized and without ability to pin win32 apps. All apps list remained messy. Default keyboard layout bug wasn't fixed as well. Still tablet Action Center in desktop mode. Store categories are still empty. Back button still bugs with Store. And Store app left without lots of important functionality. No light theme for systray panes. New app mark in All Apps list still says Create in Russian. Still no ability to turn off recent files. And many more.

Still not ready to be RTM...

• Like 2

For anyone interested, some dude created the ISOs from the ESD file downloaded through Windows Update for Windows 10 RTM Build 10240. They appear to be legit.

Seems like most bugs and problems weren't fixed. Still lots of touch UI elements in desktop mode. Calculator and Weather bugs are still there. Search Windows main page left without any UI for countries without Cortana. Start frequently used apps remained uncustomized and without ability to pin win32 apps. All apps list remained messy. Default keyboard layout bug wasn't fixed as well. Still tablet Action Center in desktop mode. Store categories are still empty. Back button still bugs with Store. And Store app left without lots of important functionality. No light theme for systray panes. New app mark in All Apps list still says Create in Russian. Still no ability to turn off recent files. And many more.

Still not ready to be RTM...

Of course there's touch UI in the OS. Why wouldn't there be? What's wrong with the Action Center?

Recent files can be turned off in properties for the explorer window. View>Options>General>Privacy

Frequently used apps are just that... At least you can remove them and they don't keep popping back up like they used to.

And what do you mean by all apps being "messy?" It's an alphabetical list the same way it has always been.

Jesus, I just don't understand Microsoft.  Somehow they introduced a bug in KB3064209 in early June that only affects Pentium G3258 users in which you get stuck in a boot loop.  This CPU microcode update obviously was also ported into later Win10 builds as 10130 onwards, G3258 users got stuck in the same boot loop they were seeing in Win7/8 with KB3064209 installed.  And to no surprise 10240 still has this present. -_-  Which right now makes it literally impossible to update or install Windows 10 on any G3258 system.  It is baffling me and other users as any other CPU model seems to be fine including all others in the G32xx series.  So the "Anniversary Edition" Pentium G3258 gets hosed currently.  Wish there was a way to wave my arms in the air and scream to get Microsoft's attention so that they can address this major issue with their broken microcode update.

Frequently used apps are just that... At least you can remove them and they don't keep popping back up like they used to.

And what do you mean by all apps being "messy?" It's an alphabetical list the same way it has always been.

Can't pick how many or do any other intelligent filters (sort by installation date etc).  I believe he's speaking to customization overall, in that you can't create your own containers, or choose what to put in them.

I'm, er, edgy about Edge. In its current state, even given performance, the features it lacks make it outclassed. I had really hoped for the catharsis of uninstalling Chrome.

Trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10240 but I keep getting "We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Windows 10. Try restarting Setup." Has anyone else run into this problem? I have 150GB free...