[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Hi,

i have an old laptop:

- intel core 2

- 4 GB ram

- 320 GB hd 7200 rpm

- intel graphic 945 GM

Now i'm on windows 7 and all is perfect, what do you think about upgrade to Windows 10 now that is more mature? (i have a free license because i installed W10 after that is launched but donwgrade to W7 without test)

Ora my hardware is too old and is better remain to 7?

7 hours ago, Antigen said:

Hi,

i have an old laptop:

- intel core 2

- 4 GB ram

- 320 GB hd 7200 rpm

- intel graphic 945 GM

Now i'm on windows 7 and all is perfect, what do you think about upgrade to Windows 10 now that is more mature? (i have a free license because i installed W10 after that is launched but donwgrade to W7 without test)

Windows 7 is just too old.. old HW shouldn't be a reason alone to stick to Windows 7. Windows 10 32bit may do it just fine for you with those specs considered.

7 hours ago, Antigen said:

Hi,

i have an old laptop:

- intel core 2

- 4 GB ram

- 320 GB hd 7200 rpm

- intel graphic 945 GM

I would personally stick with Windows 7 on that unit (core 2).

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2017 at 6:31 AM, MIcr0_Soft said:

How do I upgrade my windows 10, please give me a unique method

You have a serious problem with hijacking threads.

If you have a question, start a thread.
If you need help, start a thread
If you have an answer for someone, reply to a thread.

I don't know why for the love of god, Microsoft Removed the labels from the Power and Setting buttons.  I'm certain Microsoft doesn't live in the Tech support world. Ever since they removed those labels it's hard to walk idiots though restarting. Usually, I say press start button (then you have to explain where that is, and once they find it) and then say press Power and select restart. Now I also have to explain the power icon ... circle with a line through the middle.

40 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I don't know why for the love of god, Microsoft Removed the labels from the Power and Setting buttons.  I'm certain Microsoft doesn't live in the Tech support world. Ever since they removed those labels it's hard to walk idiots though restating. Usually, I say press start button (then you have to explain where that is, and once they find it) and then say press Power and select restart. Now I also have to explain the power icon ... circle with a line through the middle.

Tooltips are still there. The triple line button also expands the labels. For restarting, easier just to say the command line:

Hit the windows flag button on your keyboard, then type shutdown all one word, space dash R as in restart, space dash T as in time, space zero, then hit Enter. No need to explain what anything looks like.

16 minutes ago, zhangm said:

then hit Enter. No need to explain what anything looks like.

The sad truth is sometimes I have to explain to them where "enter" is.

11 hours ago, warwagon said:

The sad truth is sometimes I have to explain to them where "enter" is.

you might lower your IQ if you keep talking to these ppl

8 hours ago, UnclePritchard said:

you might lower your IQ if you keep talking to these ppl

I've already thought about that, sometimes the joke is, by the time I get off the phone with some of these people my brains are leaking out my ears.

21 hours ago, warwagon said:

I don't know why for the love of god, Microsoft Removed the labels from the Power and Setting buttons.  I'm certain Microsoft doesn't live in the Tech support world. Ever since they removed those labels it's hard to walk idiots though restating. Usually, I say press start button (then you have to explain where that is, and once they find it) and then say press Power and select restart. Now I also have to explain the power icon ... circle with a line through the middle.

whats wrong with right clicking start button and going to "Shut down or Sign out"?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dermot said:

whats wrong with right clicking start button and going to "Shut down or Sign out"?

Thanks for that recommendation. That's a really great idea, I think i'll start using it. One issue I can already see, is after I have some users right click the start button, everytime I ask them to click something they will ask me if they now have to use the left or the right mouse button :D

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Thanks for that recommendation. That's a really great idea, I think i'll start using it. One issue I can already see, is after I have some users right click the start button, everytime I ask them to click something they will ask me if they now have to use the left or the right mouse button :D

At that level , right and left click do the same thing.

Just now, Dermot said:

At that level , right and left click do the same thing. 

That's true... because some people right click and left click "open" on all the icons on their desktop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 8:52 PM, UnclePritchard said:

Windows 7 is just too old.. old HW shouldn't be a reason alone to stick to Windows 7. Windows 10 32bit may do it just fine for you with those specs considered.

did he say that he's using a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 7?

I've been trying out Win10 x64 home edition (v1607 - build 14393) on my mother's Dell Inspiron 640m laptop using an Intel core 2 duo mobile [2.33Ghz], 4Gb of RAM (though 3.24Gb is available to the OS), a Seagate 320Gb 7200rpm hard drive with a similar config several months ago and it ran okay.

By the way, users should no longer be using the Win10 RTM (v1507 build 10240) release as Microsoft will stop providing updates in May

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/01/19/windows-10-v1607-media-now-available/

UPDATE: 2/3/2017: End of servicing for Windows 10, version 1507 will now occur in May.

• 8 months later...

Hi. 

I plan to do a fresh install of W10 and I wonder if the latest updates (Fall Creators if I remember correct) include Fluent Design features..as they promissed.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My main gaming PC upgraded to FCU this morning, but it's weird, I watched a few youtube videos (full screen) and now, somehow, Edge is "always on top" of all other apps unless I actually minimize it myself.   Anyone come across this before?

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, harrisrobert said:

hey, can anyone tell me that, why i am not getting windows 10 updates on my win 8.1 ?

What do you mean? An upgrade to Win10 from your current Win8.1?

The free upgrade has been terminated a while ago, so if you denied upgrading at that point in time, you have to buy it I guess.
It could be your hardware was never Win10 'proof', so you never got the upgrade option anyway.

Or, if you're lucky, you still can upgrade to WIn10 with your current Win8.1 serial. Go get a ISO and run it manually. YMMV.....

20 hours ago, Dutchie64 said:

What do you mean? An upgrade to Win10 from your current Win8.1?

The free upgrade has been terminated a while ago, so if you denied upgrading at that point in time, you have to buy it I guess.
It could be your hardware was never Win10 'proof', so you never got the upgrade option anyway.

Or, if you're lucky, you still can upgrade to WIn10 with your current Win8.1 serial. Go get a ISO and run it manually. YMMV.....

you know i am also facing big big trouble, i have hp notebook, built in window is windows 8.1 RTM, before i was using kmspico activated widnow, then i realized i should back to my builtin window, then i downloaded iso and installed win 8.1 rtm, then it auto got activation from microsoft. but then i was getting lots of troubles like freezing , black screen, i reinstalled this window 8-10 times, then i decided to purchase win 8.1 cd, now using that one which is again kmspico activated. but in last 2 years, i did not get any win 10.1 upgrading notification :( and i dont think so that, if i manually install, then will get auto activation from microsoft

1 hour ago, harrisrobert said:

you know i am also facing big big trouble, i have hp notebook, built in window is windows 8.1 RTM, before i was using kmspico activated widnow, then i realized i should back to my builtin window, then i downloaded iso and installed win 8.1 rtm, then it auto got activation from microsoft. but then i was getting lots of troubles like freezing , black screen, i reinstalled this window 8-10 times, then i decided to purchase win 8.1 cd, now using that one which is again kmspico activated. but in last 2 years, i did not get any win 10.1 upgrading notification :( and i dont think so that, if i manually install, then will get auto activation from microsoft

Why would you use a illegal activation tool on a official Windows CD? That's asking for trouble.
And it also answers your question regarding Win10 updates. You don't get them, as you're using a ILLEGAL activation key......

cheers!

• 9 months later...

Completely disappointed with Windows 10 and its latest update. The computer, a brand new Huwaei Mate D, started doing weird things and explorer crashing after the MS latest update patches. I had already been fed up with Windows but this was the last draw. One weird thing it was doing was searching for stuff on its own...LOL...I would find the search Window in explorer opened as if it was looking at files. No it wasn’t a virus because I never used that laptop for anything other than as a Plex server to stream my movies to the TV. No I never used it to go on the web for anything other than to download the Plex server application, so anyways, I went to Ubuntu’s latest version and couldn’t be happier. Not only is the laptop responding super fast but the Plex server is actually loading things way faster than with Windows. It’s just rock solid. Love it. Microsoft needs to get their act together and fix the mess they have with Windows 10.

• Daniel F. unpinned this topic