Your Favourite(?) UI Discrepancies

I was reading this thread, and it caused me to theorize on the poor guy in charge of the list of UI discrepancies through out the Windows releases.

Though it might be fun to collate some of the Neowin users favourite / least favourite UI issues they see in what ever version of Windows they are using.

I'll start...

Found in Windows 8.1

post-182434-0-13927500-1436335709.jpg

Now, this isn't a Windows bashing thread. It's not about which version of Windows is bad, or who's version of Windows is better, it's not about "But no one except enthusiasts sees this area of the computer", it's about spotting these issues and poking fun at them.

Any version of Windows can be scoured (except Windows 1, obviously).

Let's create that nightmare list!

30u5uo0.jpg

Ancient Tooltip From The Past: In Windows 95 to Windows 10

WILliZb.png

Titlebars of Wonders: Windows 10

Differences in the border width of themed UI elements between non DPI aware applications and DPI aware applications

That's quite a biggy!

I know that 7/8/10 suffer from it (In varying ways, since it depends on the theme in use). Vista and XP probably suffer from it too, but I haven't been able to test them.

Also the Win95 era client services icons I missed until after posting, and the fact that 2 windows of the same properties "feature" have 2 different DPI awareness states.

• Like 1

from Windows 9x to 10... The same registry icon

KXI6QTj.png

Fax cover page editor looks even more dated, like Win95ish:

C:\Windows\System32\FXScover.exe

3D7eXXA.png

• Like 3

Actually that's not quite right, it's worse! it's actually from 3.1 :laugh:

In that case, that icon is older than some of the members here lol.

• Like 2

I don't have a screenshot (at work) but the dark/light theme settings is different for Edge and Groove.

Edge: First option in settings and is titled something like "Choose a theme"

Groove: Last option in settings and is titled "Background"

I am half convinced that Microsoft developers don't use the stuff their company puts out. :/

• Like 2

Does white scroll bars on the Edge dark theme count? What about Settings in the individual apps being on different sides? The border changes on some of the dialog boxes that appear off of the taskbar and Start Menu (like the jump lists.) The point of the arrow on the desktop context menu is slightly off. Borders, no borders, double borders on buttons and context menus.

Lets play a game, which icons don't belong with all the others?

jjSZ47j.png

So I assume that moricons.dll is kept for compatibility reasons which is fine but why did they add icons 108 - 114 with Windows XP?

That to me seems a little odd when I'm sure they could of been put in a different dll.

Under Windows 10 icon 108 is blank and 114 has been removed but everything else is the same including those "NEW" Office 2000/XP icons.

• Like 3

I remember the days of vista with that horrible cyan line on the outside of a window.  My friend never noticed it until I told him then he hated it everytime, once seen....

has been a long time since I last saw Vista but I can't remember what you mean, do you have a screen shot?

I don't know why people are bitching about this, it's a GOOD thing that the right click menu is context aware and adjusts for the app in question, should have been like that a long time ago

No, they're just 6 different implementations of the context menu (And the jumplist, but that's different).

I don't know why people are bitching about this, it's a GOOD thing that the right click menu is context aware and adjusts for the app in question, should have been like that a long time ago 

Because it looks crap? Why are the fonts different? Why do some have drop shadows and some not? Different separator line styles? Some with icons some without. Etc. 

It is just laziness. 

Yeah, for the last few versions of Windows MS design approach has been terrible. Really do not know what they smoke over there when it comes to aesthetics. I'm liking 10 better than 8 which was a complete disaster, but it's still really rough around the edges. Mac OS looks beautiful compared to Windows these days.

To be fair one of the reasons I joined Neowin back in the day was for all the amazing Windows XP themes. So really, MS have just never been good at eye candy. 

• Like 3

I remember the days of vista with that horrible cyan line on the outside of a window.  My friend never noticed it until I told him then he hated it everytime, once seen....

AAGGGHHHHHH!!! That cyan line :8 I didn't like the glass look to begin with but the line killed me.