The Windows 10 Tablet Experience

I'm not sure why you'd say that. I think it's generally an improvement on 8.1.

I do too.

However, Motor_Mouth has already stated in this thread that what he says is all fact.

I'm not sure why you'd say that. I think it's generally an improvement on 8.1.

I don't like the way edge gestures were changes.

For example, swiping from left to switch apps is gone. Instead, I get Alt-Tab.

it has bugger-all to do with familiarity, it is all about reduced functionality. Users switching from Windows 7 will have a harder time adapting to Windows 10 than they would to Windows 8, because W10 is way more different.

it has bugger-all to do with familiarity, it is all about reduced functionality. Users switching from Windows 7 will have a harder time adapting to Windows 10 than they would to Windows 8, because W10 is way more different.

Yes, I think you've made your point.

There are some things that are a step backwards but they're outweighed by the improvements IMO. Hopefully things like gesture support will be added to Edge over time. At least we know it will be continuously improved.

Generally, I like the quick commands to be within reach of either my left thumb or my right thumb.

I don't like to unnecessary take my hands off to touch the middle of the screen.

Motor_Mouth, you are most certainly not alone.  Help us convince Microsoft by posting here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/windows-10-tablet-mode-experience-is-much-worse/7bf4aafa-802a-4224-80d5-7a7f2e5f52ee

And open the feedback app and find the feedback I quoted in my most recent post.

A lot of us agree with you that Microsoft has take a rather large step backward in their attempts to win over Windows 7 (and prior) users. Necessary or not, I don't know. But I BELIEVE they could have satisfied both camps.

-Forjo

Can I unlike this to like it over again?

Personally i've used it on my Stream 7 .. never liked 8 on it, but this feels better. I like the swipe from the left to close windows, that's nice. I love the all app menu on the left. All I have To say all the 8 lovers who don't like the tablet mode of 10 ... accept change.

• Like 3

Personally i've used it on my Stream 7 .. never liked 8 on it, but this feels better. I like the swipe from the left to close windows, that's nice. I love the all app menu on the left. All I have To say all the 8 lovers who don't like the tablet mode of 10 ... accept change.

Like I said earlier, for a lot of people, it's painful to change.

That said, I do like the new all apps view. The whole thing is now accessible by the left thumb.

I can't for the love of me understand why someone would find 8.1 better than 10 at all in either a tablet or a desktop, it's like night and day, the experience is so much consistent and smooth, I hated the eviroment sudden changes when you would open win32 apps for instance and it would take you back to the desktop etc, this feels so much better, and keeps a good balance where both desktop and tablet users are taken care of.

There's still plenty of room for improvement of course, I do not like the Edge experience over that one of Internet Explorer Touch on tablets for instance, and I hate the fact that Edge refuses to remember its last position on the screen when on desktop mode etc, but I'm sure that these things will get fixed soon with the constant updates which is where Microsoft is headed now.

Microsoft is going in the right direction here IMHO, give it a year or two and this will be an absolutely fabulous OS for tablets and PCs.

I can't for the love of me understand why someone would find 8.1 better than 10 at all in either a tablet or a desktop, it's like night and day, the experience is so much consistent and smooth, I hated the eviroment sudden changes when you would open win32 apps for instance and it would take you back to the desktop etc, this feels so much better, and keeps a good balance where both desktop and tablet users are taken care of.

There's still plenty of room for improvement of course, I do not like the Edge experience over that one of Internet Explorer Touch on tablets for instance, and I hate the fact that Edge refuses to remember its last position on the screen when on desktop mode etc, but I'm sure that these things will get fixed soon with the constant updates which is where Microsoft is now headed now.

Microsoft is going in the right direction here IMHO, give it a year or two and this will be an absolutely fabulous OS for tablets and PCs.

This:

tablet-task-view.jpg

I can't for the love of me understand why someone would find 8.1 better than 10 at all in either a tablet

- Fast, fluid UI

- Built for touch (not built with touch in mind)

- No &*#*&@#)($$)@# persistent always on taskbar

- UI consistency

- Chromeless UX

- UI gestures

"I can't wait to watch Netflix with a titlebar, and taskbar showing on my screen!"

- No One

- Fast, fluid UI

- UI consistency

- Chromeless UX

- UI gestures

- Fast, fluid UI

10 has a VERY fast and fluid UI, have you actually tried it on a device with no driver issues?

10 is built for touch with the exception of Edge, again this will improve as months go by, give it some time, you do not need to  upgrade right now, nobody is forcing you to.

The taskbar CAN be hidden, check the configuration settings, but many including me find it very useful, however if you have a small tablet you can hide it.

- UI consistency

I give you that, lots of room for improvement here.

- Chromeless UX

I'm sorry, what?

- UI gestures

?

More will come, be patient, this is a new start in the Windows UI.

On the plus side we did get rid of the Charms for a notification edge.  Three/four finger switcher carousel?

Modern apps will need to be updated to support a full screen view, but the capability exists at the app level.

"I can't wait to watch Netflix with a titlebar, and taskbar showing on my screen!"

There's a fullscreen button which can be access by swiping down from the top twice. Most video apps have a fullscreen option anyways, this is a non issue as far as I know.

Does anyone know when Project Islandwood would get here?

The Windows Store is barebone and even worse than the Windows Phone Store.

I wouldn't mind more apps even if they are straight ports from iOS.

- Fast, fluid UI

- UI consistency

- Chromeless UX

- UI gestures

- No One

Windows 10 is far easier to use with a finger than 8.1, especially on the desktop.  Changes like the increased spacing of context menu items make it much easier to use. Task switching is also infinitely easier with the taskbar visible or the new switching UI.

As for consistency, no version of Windows has ever had a 100% consistent UI and there were plenty of people that argued that the biggest problem with Win 8 was the clash between the Metro and desktop environments.  That is now less obtrusive and Tablet Mode feels a lot more fluid as a result.

I agree that the lack of gestures in Edge is a shame but hopefully that will come before too long.  It's also worth noting that the back/forward gestures in Metro IE have always been pretty buggy and although I love using them it annoys me that I often have to wait up to 30 seconds for the page to refresh after swiping back.  In the meantime, the back button on the taskbar makes it easy to go back with a simple tap of the thumb.

Does this image reminds you of anything?

14tauch.jpg

Yeah, it's proof positive of Microsoft's hard on for Android, and lack of original design for Windows 10.

Don't know about anyone else but when I envision using a tablet this is the kind of thing I imagine:

https://youtu.be/j2TnTbShEwA

Not saying this is the perfect interface but using a tablet is all about using touch to navigate. Having to click tiny menus, having the desktop taskbar and notification tray shouldn't be called "tablet mode", rather it should be " full screen mode" (which is pretty much what you get when you make the start menu full screen) as there is very little tablet thinking being applied to Windows 10's so called tablet mode.

• Like 2

Don't know about anyone else but when I envision using a tablet this is the kind of thing I imagine:

https://youtu.be/j2TnTbShEwA

Not saying this is the perfect interface but using a tablet is all about using touch to navigate. Having to click tiny menus, having the desktop taskbar and notification tray shouldn't be called "tablet mode", rather it should be " full screen mode" (which is pretty much what you get when you make the start menu full screen) as there is very little tablet thinking being applied to Windows 10's so called tablet mode.

2vkb8yr.png

I'm not fully sold on something like sailfish 2.0, sure in promo videos it looks all flashy and new, but it's really just a gesture fest of swiping in and out of apps, something you do with Windows 10 as well, heck it's "card" viewer or w/e, that shows your active apps in a grid, so you tap the one you want, is no different from Windows 10 task switcher to, no different at all.  So what if it doesn't have a taskbar?  Just autohide the one in Windows 10 if you want.

And lets not forget the fact it's dependent on using Android apps, you know, the ones that have hamburger menus of their own you need to click on to access their menus.  

And lets not forget the fact it's dependent on using Android apps, you know, the ones that have hamburger menus of their own you need to click on to access their menus.  

Many android apps lets you access the menu by swiping from the left edge of your phone instead of pressing the hamburger icon.

Many android apps lets you access the menu by swiping from the left edge of your phone instead of pressing the hamburger icon.

That's true, but the icon is still there, so for people who have issues with it that doesn't go away.  I'm indifferent to the whole thing, just give me good apps.