• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HELP PayTm.com - should I be worried?

Question

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,582

This is the series of emails I have received over last 24 hours. except the first one, the "welcome" email is from december, when i tried to contact them to figure it out...

i went to that site, and used my email to reset password, it allowed me to do so, and change the password, but would not allow me to login without

One Time Password (OTP) has been sent to your mobile ******3263, please enter the same here to login

this has happened before, 6 month ago, and when i contacted them, they first replied asking for more information about the specific transaction, and when i replied i never sighted up for the service, they never replied again.    

should i be worried, or, since i assume someone is using the account with indian phone #,   should i just add it to spam?

other people are reporting similar issue

http://cybercrimecomplaints.com/content/fraudulent-use-my-email-id

so, neowin, advice me please!    also, from the emails it looks like money was received then send, then send and recieved, to the same person.     leaving balance as 0.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

and how did they verify my email....    (though considering that you can reset password by entering the #### sent to your phone, maybe, just maybe they never verified the email, and only the phone #

what should i do???

Hi there!

Thanks for choosing Paytm!

Get started on a simple and incredible experience on Paytm. You can use Paytm to recharge your mobile or DTH, pay your bills or shop online!

We have also created a Paytm Cash Wallet for you. If your order fails, you will find your money safe in it. You can use it for your next order at Paytm right away.

Click here (https://accounts.paytm.com/activate?code=8bdca300-7b6a-11e4-ade7-061a96f49bbe) to verify your email address and enjoy additional security in your Paytm account.

Should you need any further assistance, contact us at care@paytm.com (mailto:care@paytm.com)

Look forward to see you again at Paytm.

Paytm Care Team

seal.pngpaytm-logo.png

Hi there!

Somebody recently asked to reset your Paytm account password.

Click here to reset your password.

If you did not request a new password, please let us know immediately at care@paytm.com

See you soon on Paytm.

Paytm Care Team

Hi There!

Your friend, karthiksreerama@yahoo.com, has sent you Rs.200.00 to your Paytm wallet.

Your updated balance is Rs.200.0.

Please visit https://paytm.com/paytmwallet to see your account details.

For future reference, your Transaction ID is 123577258.

You can use the Paytm Wallet for simpler payments, instant refunds and recieve cash-backs. Paytm Wallet can be used to recharge your mobile, DTH, pay your bills or shop online at following websites and many more*.

Hi There!

You have sent Rs.200.00 to your friend's Paytm wallet ( karthiksreerama@yahoo.com).

Your updated balance is Rs.0.0.

For future reference, your Transaction ID is 123860914. If you need any further assistance, please write to us at care@paytm.com

Paytm Team

Hi There!

Your friend, karthiksreerama@yahoo.com, has sent you Rs.250.00 to your Paytm wallet.

Your updated balance is Rs.250.0.

Please visit https://paytm.com/paytmwallet to see your account details.

For future reference, your Transaction ID is 129932190.

You can use the Paytm Wallet for simpler payments, instant refunds and recieve cash-backs. Paytm Wallet can be used to recharge your mobile, DTH, pay your bills or shop online at following websites and many more*.

Hi There!

You have sent Rs.250.00 to your friend's Paytm wallet ( karthiksreerama@yahoo.com).

Your updated balance is Rs.0.0.

For future reference, your Transaction ID is 129961854. If you need any further assistance, please write to us at care@paytm.com

Paytm Team

13 answers to this question

Nick H.    10,527

Wait. You didn't sign up for the service, but you still went to the website and used your email to reset the password? :blink:

Regardless, if you didn't sign up for the service or you don't use it, I would just consider it spam and leave it at that. Since you haven't provided them with any details (banking and such, as now they have your email even if they were just guessing at the beginning) then it would seem that there is little they can do other than send you further emails.

• Like 1

A Real American!    187

wow they were first calling as IRS then as Microsoft and now they are exploiting other people's emails. FBI where are you? NSA? CIA? somebody stop them.

xendrome    5,583

Just spam the e-mails and move on with your day?

• Like 1

sc302    1,791

spam should be deleted/ignored/set to block. 

This is spam.  You should never have acted upon it.

• Like 1

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,318
Wait. You didn't sign up for the service, but you still went to the website and used your email to reset the password?

Yeah... Why the hell did you do that?  Now they have:

1) A verified email address.

2) A possible/probably password to associate with that address.

I know you're tech savvy, so I would assume that you didn't use your "go-to" password, but then again you fell for this scam so...

Come on mang, you better than this ;)

• Like 1

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,582

Wait. You didn't sign up for the service, but you still went to the website and used your email to reset the password? :blink:

yeah, but it allowed to reset the password, but it won't allow me to login, without the # they are supposed to send to the cell #

yeah, i guess i will spam it.   they don't have anything else other then email and my first name, so who cares...

Yeah... Why the hell did you do that?  Now they have:

1) A verified email address.

2) A possible/probably password to associate with that address.

I know you're tech savvy, so I would assume that you didn't use your "go-to" password, but then again you fell for this scam so...

Come on mang, you better than this ;)

i used password1 ;)     i thought it was a legitimate site, since i have seen other people accidently use my email when signing up for legitimate sites, and i had corrected the issue with the sites very fast, as the owners of the account realized their mistake.

my email password is FAR FAR different to the one i will ever use on any other site, especially an unknown.

yeah, probably should not have verified the email though, but i did so in my original reply to them that i did not sign up, so it was too late already.   then i though it was a genuine mistake.

• Like 1

Draconian Guppy    13,038

+1 you crazy!

Why I don't understand is, why you followed up on this email, I would have just deleted it unless personal data were compromised? Or call them directly instead of keep using your personal data for login in, etc.

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,582

Regardless, if you didn't sign up for the service or you don't use it, I would just consider it spam and leave it at that. Since you haven't provided them with any details (banking and such, as now they have your email even if they were just guessing at the beginning) then it would seem that there is little they can do other than send you further emails.

you can close this thread now.   not much too tell really.    i better just spam anything like that, but i really though it was a genuine issue for a second there.  silly me.

+1 you crazy!

Why I don't understand is, why you followed up on this email, I would have just deleted it unless personal data were compromised? Or call them directly instead of keep using your personal data for login in, etc.

the only personal data is the email which they have already.   

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,318
i used password1

Phew :)

So look - how spam works (all numbers are fictional but the point stands):

You have a list of 10,000 potential email addresses - all unverified - this list is worth 10,000 (

• Like 1

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,582

Phew :)

So look - how spam works (all numbers are fictional but the point stands):

You have a list of 10,000 potential email addresses - all unverified - this list is worth 10,000 (

• Like 2

TAKEITBILL    25

From the way it went it seems spam but did you used PAYTM form india for recharging prepaid phones?

WHY?

have you been to INDIA recently? 

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,582

From the way it went it seems spam but did you used PAYTM form india for recharging prepaid phones?

WHY?

have you been to INDIA recently? 

no, but i do use some other payment services to send money to people in other countries.

i also have a couple of good indian friends and i know a lot of of india people in my city. so i assumed maybe it was a service i once used and forgot about.  

TAKEITBILL    25

no, but i do use some other payment services to send money to people in other countries.

i also have a couple of good indian friends and i know a lot of of india people in my city. so i assumed maybe it was a service i once used and forgot about.  

That website looks totally legit to me. it has visa checkout, master secure and they even support  blackberry, windows phone and java phones, that's more than amazon supports. I think your are fine.