• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a cloud backup solution

Question

xplatinum    63

I'm looking for a cloud-based solution to backup all my data offsite (around 150GB of RAW photos).

Most reviews crown CrashPlan as the go-to solution but from what I've read it's throttled at around 300KB/s... which is way too slow for me.

What are your experiences with the service and does anyone have a better solution to offer?

DeusProto    1,001

I've been using a free promotional giveaway license for CrashPlan family unlimited, I've uploaded over 5TB so far and its often above 300kB/s though I my connection is capped at around 550kB/sec upload (by my ISP, not CrashPlan).

My only complaint is that its written in java, and that its hardcoded to exclude certain files like NTUSER.DAT but other than that, its great. 

xendrome    5,583

Dropbox is only $10 a month for 1TB

xplatinum    63

I could go that route with Google Drive but I don't think it would work for me for the following reasons:

• Cannot manually select multiple sources. It all needs to sit inside a single folder. Might be possible to use symlinks or mount a partition as a subfolder but I really don't want to go down that route.
  • Cannot run the backup on a schedule. It's only a sync service.

+BudMan    3,720

So at 150GB amazon glacier would cost you a whole $1.5 a month ;)

Its a great solution for what it sounds like you want to backup is archive and dr backup - not something you would need back this second if you lost the local copy, etc.  I use it for my home videos, tied with cloudberry desktop backup its a no brainer to move your files to glacier.

• Like 1

xplatinum    63

So at 150GB amazon glacier would cost you a whole $1.5 a month ;)

Its a great solution for what it sounds like you want to backup is archive and dr backup - not something you would need back this second if you lost the local copy, etc.  I use it for my home videos, tied with cloudberry desktop backup its a no brainer to move your files to glacier.

That sounds like a really great solution. Are there any related costs? Do I need an existing subscription with Amazon AWS in order to take advantage of Glacier?

I'm trying to progress through a Glacier sub and it's asking me to create a AWS Free Usage Tier (1-year) 750hrs/month. What does this mean?

It's asking me for a credit card number and I'm not even at the Glacier checkout page yet. I don't want any service other than Glacier...

PpFOIKh.png

+BudMan    3,720

you have to have a amazon account.  Pretty sure its through AWS yes, but if you don't setup anything then there is no charges..

Yeah the AWS console is quite daunting ;)

But as you log in you just use the glacier stuff if that is all you want.

post-14624-0-48185300-1436788340.png

But has you can see only get charged for glacier service since that is all I am using.

post-14624-0-50727500-1436788704.png

xplatinum    63

Here's what happens when I click on Glacier as per your screenshot. Second screenshot is when I click Complete your AWS registration.

RuLc8aH.png

1Ch29x3.png

jamieakers    192

I've been using a free promotional giveaway license for CrashPlan family unlimited, I've uploaded over 5TB so far and its often above 300kB/s though I my connection is capped at around 550kB/sec upload (by my ISP, not CrashPlan).

My only complaint is that its written in java, and that its hardcoded to exclude certain files like NTUSER.DAT but other than that, its great. 

Second this.  I previously used LiveDrive but moved to CrashPlan simply because there was a few horror stories about LiveDrive deleting data prematurely from unpaid accounts and their client software is (and yes I'm a qualified tester) buggy as hell.

CrashPlan simply just works.  I've got a couple TB up with them, it uploads/downloads really quickly and I just install it on my home server and forget about it.

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,720

Again you have to have a AWS account...  Which is FREE, even after the year if your not using any services..  I have had mine for quite some time...  You only get charged for what you do, if you don't setup anything other than glacier then you don't get charged for anything but glacier..

I am also currently using crashplan - there was a FREE year given away here on neowin a while back.. And it has been working quite nicely in the background..  But the cost is way more than something like glacier ;)  The only critical files I have right now are currently about 90GB worth home video and pictures -- see my last bill.  This is really the only files that need to be in a full DR plan..

Which I have on multiple disks in the house, on optical disks here and at my son's house over 40 miles away and in the cloud currently on crashplan and in glacier.  Glacier is my hey if the next great chicago fire hits or tornado takes all of chicagoland to oz my files should still be ok ;)

Glacier is not a click it and forget sort of setup, the interface to your files are not like mapping a drive or hitting a ftp site, etc.  Takes 4 hours to even pull a inventory if you loose your local copy of what you put in there, etc..  But it is very CHEAP online storage which makes for great backup.

At some point as you hit a specific size then the unlimited plans would make more sense..  At the 60$ price take I would need to have 500GB of stuff stored in glacier, at that point it would make sense to use them vs glacier..

• Like 1

xplatinum    63

Again you have to have a AWS account...  Which is FREE, even after the year if your not using any services..  I have had mine for quite some time...  You only get charged for what you do, if you don't setup anything other than glacier then you don't get charged for anything but glacier..

And how would I go about uploading my data into Glacier? I read something about Arq? Thanks for your input.

+BudMan    3,720

As I mentioned I use cloudberry backup desktop.. http://www.cloudberrylab.com/

There are free ways to get your files into glacier, but I like the ease of use of the backup software by cloudberry that has support for many cloud providers not just glacier, etc.

xplatinum    63

Based on this, I think CrashPlan might be a better solution for my needs.

Looks like Glacier does not support what I outlined below. Big deal breaker for me.

Wxrgxi0.png

+BudMan    3,720

So your editing these files?  Yeah then glacier is not for you - glacier is good for Archive backup.. File is static like a picture or a video..  If your editing the files moving to glacier and then couple days later editing the file again and need to send it back to glacier..  Then no this is not really good plan for your needs.

blank    1,280

I use crashplan, and have for the last year, and i love it.

Has never throttled me. I have over 400gb worth of pictures back uped.

Never had a problem. I'd recommended it to everyone.

Crashplan is good if you're editing files because it keeps a old versions backed up as well incase you need to restore, which i've never tested or had to, but i heard it works good.

xplatinum    63

Well I think I found the solution for me! Thanks everyone :D

+BudMan    3,720

So your going with crashplan then?  Something else?

xplatinum    63

I think I will be going with CrashPlan. Reviews are pretty much unanimously positive except maybe for upload speed (and Java!) but that's only an issue on the initial full backup and 200 GB is not so bad.

+BudMan    3,720

its a good service to be sure.  And if need to modify the files that are copied the ability to just send changes can be huge for bandwidth and transfer.

I would have to play with the upload limitation to see if really limited to 300K??  I thought when I turned it on it pegged my upload pipe which is about 12mbps until I limited it..

Draconian Guppy    13,038

you have to have a amazon account.  Pretty sure its through AWS yes, but if you don't setup anything then there is no charges..

Yeah the AWS console is quite daunting ;)

But as you log in you just use the glacier stuff if that is all you want.

attachicon.gif

But has you can see only get charged for glacier service since that is all I am using.

slightly on topic,

Budman, how many GBs have you stored in glacier and would be your anual price for what you've stored?

daorbed9    85

I've had every cloud folder sync service fail to sync every file on a consistent basis for various customers.  I've never had backup cloud software fail to backup every file.  I checked quite a bit after I noticed all the problems, esp with OneDrive and Google Drive.

xplatinum    63

slightly on topic,

Budman, how many GBs have you stored in glacier and would be your anual price for what you've stored?

Here, choose Glacier on the left. http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

I've had every cloud folder sync service fail to sync every file on a consistent basis for various customers.  I've never had backup cloud software fail to backup every file.  I checked quite a bit after I noticed all the problems, esp with OneDrive and Google Drive.

We worked with OneDrive for business in the enterprise I work for and let me tell you that it's a POS software. It should be labeled as beta software. It's that bad. On the other hand I've never had a single issue with Google Drive for personal stuff.

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,720

@Draconian Guppy see my previous post where I posted a bill for the month of June.. I currently store 90GB so 90 cents a month or 12*0.9 = $10.8 yearly cost.  When I started the year it was only about 50 cents a month..  Depends how many more videos and pictures I add.. I can see uploading a few more gig this year for sure.  My grandsons 1 year bday is next month so sure have some video of that ;)

But until I hit about 500GB total storage its less than crashplan..  At current growth unless it get into a video taking frenzy I don't see hitting that for years.  Even the video I took of my grand daughters graduation of preschool show which was 10GB just for that video..  That is a lot of video's to get to 500GB ;)  Many of which are short few minutes shots when they are doing something interesting, etc.

• Like 1

Draconian Guppy    13,038

Here, choose Glacier on the left. http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

We worked with OneDrive for business in the enterprise I work for and let me tell you that it's a POS software. It should be labeled as beta software. It's that bad. On the other hand I've never had a single issue with Google Drive for personal stuff.

how can I estimate 

Requests:
UPLOAD and RETRIEVAL:

+BudMan    3,720

dude I really wouldn't worry about that..  If your planning on pulling these files down all the time then glacier is prob not for you.  It's better suited as Archive storage.. I have multiple local backups of my video and pictures the only reason I would need to pull the files from glacier would be with a catastrophic failure of my other backups.  Like my house burned down and that same weekend my son's house got robbed and they stole the optical disk copies I have over there ;)

And if that did happen I don't think I would need to pull down the complete archive all at once.. I could pull down a few GB a month to prevent charges if was worried about the cost.

Glacier is not the same as S3 or other online storage stuff - its meant for long term archive of your files, which is why you can get it for 10 cents a GB ;)

I am not aware that they charge you for upload.. only for download when you exceed a certain amount.

• Like 1