Looking for a cloud backup solution

Go to solution Solved by DeusProto,

Question

xplatinum

I'm looking for a cloud-based solution to backup all my data offsite (around 150GB of RAW photos).

Most reviews crown CrashPlan as the go-to solution but from what I've read it's throttled at around 300KB/s... which is way too slow for me.

What are your experiences with the service and does anyone have a better solution to offer?

xplatinum

From what I've read, they don't charge for upload. Storage is 0.01$/GB. Retrieving files is free under 1GB/month. Else it starts at 0.09$/GB for up to 1TB. Then it starts getting cheaper per GB as you ramp up in size.

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

so if I have 500gb that's 5x12, $60 a year (5x $300)... and I guess that cost will go up considerably within years (I store a lot of photos) I just don't see the benefit of online storage, I would rather buy 5 1tb HD's and spread them across friends/family and update every now and then :/ probabilities of fires/theft/disaster taken into account I guess online makes sense.

+BudMan

Crashplan has no limit from what they say, so you could store 100TB if you wanted ;)

Why do you need 5x?  You can get the family plan 2-10 computers for $149 a year.

where are you getting that $300 number from?  I use glacier because it cost me 10 a year for what I am storing...  If I was storing 500GB then no glacier would not make sense, I would use crashplan or some other unlimited storage then or very high number vs glacier where you pay per gb..

Draconian Guppy

Crashplan has no limit from what they say, so you could store 100TB if you wanted ;)

Why do you need 5x?  You can get the family plan 2-10 computers for $149 a year.

where are you getting that $300 number from?  I use glacier because it cost me 10 a year for what I am storing...  If I was storing 500GB then no glacier would not make sense, I would use crashplan or some other unlimited storage then or very high number vs glacier where you pay per gb..

$60 x 5 years worth of glacier storage

What I meant was, I could just store the same info on 5 hard drives and store them at different friends and houses vrs. paying for online.  

ps. am I thread hacking to much ? :laugh:

+BudMan

And what is the cost of these 5 hard drives?  And how long do you think those HD would last?  I agree you there are multiple legs to a good backup/dr plan.  As I mentioned I have copies of my critical files on multiple disks and optical in my house along with copies on dvd/bluray at my son's house, etc..

The online copy is just a leg in the overall plan.

Think of crashplan or glacier or any online storage for that matter as your buddies with a HDD In it..

• Like 1
daorbed9

Here, choose Glacier on the left. http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

We worked with OneDrive for business in the enterprise I work for and let me tell you that it's a POS software. It should be labeled as beta software. It's that bad. On the other hand I've never had a single issue with Google Drive for personal stuff.

I recently replaced a HDD with an SSD for one of my customer and I just reimaged windows since she was having issues and they store everything on the server or google drive.  Afterwards I had to put the original drive back in and backup the google drive folder since some files were missing after she resynced to the new image.  They use Google Apps for Work not the personal version.  Also we have had issues with some consultants not being able to access a shared folder in google drive even though its set correctly and they received the invite.

xplatinum

Budman I'm running the trial of CrashPlan right now and it averages around 350KB/s (10Mbit/s upload).

+BudMan

350KB is only about 2.8mbps

Are you saying on a 10mbps upload pipe your only seeing 350KB?

To be honest you would normally not want your backup software to use 100% of your upload pipe - kind of makes using the connection pretty bad while stuff being uploaded.

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/Speeding_Up_Your_Backup

xplatinum

Yeah I know but I want to test it's maximum speed (for when I'm away from the PC) and I can confirm that it's throttled (or cannot supply the demand). I'm using NetBalancer to monitor the activity of the process and it averages 350KB/s using the node closest to me.

/edit I will check that article on their site and report back if it improves.

Luc2k

Backblaze is usually mentioned when there's talk about HDD failure rates, but what's the verdict when it comes to storage?

xplatinum

Backblaze is usually mentioned when there's talk about HDD failure rates, but what's the verdict when it comes to storage?

I currently use robocopy to backup to local hard disks. One thing I hate about Backblaze is that it lacks the possibility to choose what you want to backup. Instead you need to make exceptions and worst of ALL you cannot deselect your system drive.

Luc2k

I currently use robocopy to backup to local hard disks. One thing I hate about Backblaze is that it lacks the possibility to choose what you want to backup. Instead you need to make exceptions and worst of ALL you cannot deselect your system drive.

Yeah, that does sound like a big issue. I wonder if it's viable with encryption or does its nature circumvent that?

DraganChe

Just a note about the CrashPlan - at the time I did a thorough review of it with trial account - and while upload was doing more than fine (some throttling didn't bother me much) - the download was nothing short of disaster. I mean, when I tried to restore things it actually never finished, and on a solid download speeds. I left it open for days and days till I finally gave up. I did contact the support and all and got no reasonalbe response (it is what it is pretty much). It could be something related to Europe (where I reside) or the region specific servers etc. I wouldn't know. But backup and recovery has two sides of it : )) - I alway check both things and test it vigorously.

So, this shouldn't deter you by all means, pretty much every cloud and company has both good and bad reviews (some more than the others), also depends on all the other details you need (like history etc.)

Gerowen

I personally just use DropBox Free at the moment, but 2 GB of space goes pretty quick.  Good thing is that it has native clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.  It also includes the "Public" folder thing (you can create multiple public folders if you want) that lets me share files via a URL, and I don't think there's a bandwidth cap (although the client lets you set caps if you want).  I just drop the files I want to back up into my local "DropBox" folder and it automatically synchronizes.  You can also choose not to synchronize specific folders if you don't want your mobile devices to get filled up trying to synchronize everything.  I've thought about upgrading to the DropBrox professional, $10 a month for 1 TB of space, which would be plenty of space.  I have a 2TB external attached to a desktop PC, but I've started compressing/encrypting backups of important things like family photos, documents, etc., and I'd like to have an off site location to go retrieve those items in the event of a failure on the part of my personal external.  Compressing them to a tarball then encrypting the tarball with PGP should keep any hackers from snooping through my stuff if DropBox gets compromised.

xplatinum

My problem with services like Dropbox and Google Drive is that it only syncs one folder and everything inside it. I would need to start making hard links to trick it into backing-up something on a different drive. Another thing is that the pricing goes from 100 GB to 1 TB... and I just need 200!

I also realized how much I hated CrashPlan's interface. Not only is it in Java but it looks awful. Too much wasted space and colors.

I think the only solution that's fast and clean is Amazon Glacier. /shrugs

+BudMan

what does it matter the interface??  I have not even looked at mine since I set it up..  Other than the little tray icon that says backed up, etc..

wasted space??

post-14624-0-61156700-1436842173.png

What you don't like green?  Come on people are you worried about it backing up your files or how freaking pretty or ugly the interface is??

As to language be it c++, Java or freaking Cobol -- who gives a ###### as well.. Does it work?  The java it uses is not a web applet...  I really really don't get some of the nit picky people find in everything..  Now if it crashed and cost more and didn't backup your files you might have a place to complain.

It works, the only time you should ever have to look at the interface is if you want to add a new folder to backup or something..  While I use glacier and love the cost, it is anything but clean....  Takes 4 hours to grab a inventory of what is in your vault ;)

Did you tweak your network settings?  Got a few minutes let me do a test of upload speed.

edit:  Ok are you talking of backing up 1,000 of tiny files are do you have larger files.. I just created a test.zip file and threw it in my backup folder and kicked off a backup -- getting 2.3mbps 25% in without any issues..

post-14624-0-70646200-1436843763.png

• Like 1
TAZMINATOR

what does it matter the interface??  I have not even looked at mine since I set it up..  Other than the little tray icon that says backed up, etc..

wasted space??

attachicon.gifcrashplan.png

What you don't like green?  Come on people are you worried about it backing up your files or how freaking pretty or ugly the interface is??

Right.  I don't understand what's their problem with the interface.  It's the company's design..

If you create the software, do NOT be surprised if your visitors hate your interface on your software.  

You see people complain about the interface on Windows 10 ... it's Microsoft's design.. Not yours.

If I make an app for everyone... I do NOT care if you hate my colors or how it looks. It's my decisions. my colors of choice based on theme or company.

You complain about control panel... now you are making MS to move those item to new settings...   You don't look at them all day. You open it up and adjust the settings then close the control panel. Then surf the web or play on the app...   Simple.

All you do is hit sync then close the app ... it can do the job in the system tray or in the background based on developer's decision while you work on something else... that's simple.

Silly rabbits!

xplatinum

wasted space??

As to language be it c++, Java or freaking Cobol -- who gives a ###### as well.. Does it work?  The java it uses is not a web applet...  I really really don't get some of the nit picky people find in everything..  Now if it crashed and cost more and didn't backup your files you might have a place to complain.

It works, the only time you should ever have to look at the interface is if you want to add a new folder to backup or something..  While I use glacier and love the cost, it is anything but clean....  Takes 4 hours to grab a inventory of what is in your vault ;)

Did you tweak your network settings?  Got a few minutes let me do a test of upload speed.

edit:  Ok are you talking of backing up 1,000 of tiny files are do you have larger files.. I just created a test.zip file and threw it in my backup folder and kicked off a backup -- getting 2.3mbps 25% in without any issues..

I think its ugly and not minimalist enough. I never said it was the main reason I would not use the software. No matter how big or small an issue is, it all goes into the same basket of cons and it piles up.

The article about the tweaking won't give me any benefits because a) my CPU is far from a bottleneck. I transfer at a full 10Mbit/s using a torrent client (many small packets transferred) without tweaking anything. No issues there. That tweak is for people with old computers with low resources where the actual application might be slowing down the processing of the files, nothing to do with network related stuff b) they advise against touching the message size if backing up to WAN. The other settings mentioned have no effect on pure speed gain.

As for the speed, 2.3Mbps is 287KB/s. That's worse than the 350KB/s I was getting. I'm backing up RAW photos so approximately 10MB per file so size isn't an issue.

xplatinum

Right.  I don't understand what's their problem with the interface.  It's the company's design..

If you create the software, do NOT be surprised if your visitors hate your interface on your software.  

You see people complain about the interface on Windows 10 ... it's Microsoft's design.. Not yours.

If I make an app for everyone... I do NOT care if you hate my colors or how it looks. It's my decisions. my colors of choice based on theme or company.

You complain about control panel... now you are making MS to move those item to new settings...   You don't look at them all day. You open it up and adjust the settings then close the control panel. Then surf the web or play on the app...   Simple.

All you do is hit sync then close the app ... it can do the job in the system tray or in the background based on developer's decision while you work on something else... that's simple.

Silly rabbits!

Sorry but that's silly reasoning. I am PAYING for the service. They rolled out that service for customers, not themselves. You go ahead and explain to me why Microsoft is bringing back the Start Menu in Windows 10 if its not to please unhappy customers. More power to you to not care whether your customers like your design decisions or not. More power to them to choose to not do business with you because of your close-mindedness.

I wouldn't mind the interface if it were the only solution out there. But since there are other alternative to look into I don't know why I should restrict myself to something I don't fully like. What if I find another solution that works just as good but with a nicer interface. Seems like a no brainer to me.

+BudMan

you are right.. 2.3mbps is about 300K..  But that was without any tweaking.. Who said not to touch the buffer size.. They said it was for experts ;)  That would be me - heheh

Need to some math on what that should best be.. So lets not touch that for now.. What I bet is killing the speed is the compression and dedupe and encryption..  You can turn that off under backup advanced.  You could play with them to see what you can get

post-14624-0-05173700-1436877504.png

So simple test.. created a new zip file after turning off these setting and changing to min dedupe - there is a way to turn it off completely in the confiig xml..  This is more what your after.. That is using up a large chunk of my upload pipe

post-14624-0-64449900-1436877498.png

Keep in mind I pay for 10, using speedtest I see 12ish -- but again that is using multiple streams to fill the pipe.  I would guess that crashplan is only using 1 stream, have to calc your latency (the delay) to where your sending to and your window size, to know what you could expect to send if no doing anything else and they had no restrictions on their end.

But to be honest normal users should really not touch this stuff.. Who cares if it takes a few days to get your first initial backup done at 300KB?  So your talking of 150GB at 350KB I calc about 5 days to get your initial backup done..  Does that matter?  I could see if it was 5 weeks where you might have some concerns..  But once that initial backup is done then its only sending new files and changes, etc..

Where most people have issues is they prob just select their whole freaking drive and say back it up..  When that is clearly not really what you should be sending to the cloud..  You just downloaded the new iso of the windows 10 prieview -- do you need to back that up??  You need to backup CRITICAL files!!!  Not ###### you can easy replace or redownload from somewhere, etc.

xplatinum

Good find on de-duplication and encryption/compression! :)

5 days for a full backup isn't really an issue. I'm just a perfectionist and seeing only 20% of my up-link being used bothered me a little bit.

Your last point is exactly why I hated Backblaze (obligatory backup of the whole system drive).

xplatinum

BudMan On Glacier, does Amazon only charge you the storage you use at the end of the billing cycle? Let's say I use 2 Terabytes of storage two days before the end of the cycle, and on the last day I delete a bunch of stuff and keep only 100 GB. I will only be charged for 100 GB, correct? I'm almost certain that's the case but I just want a confirmation from someone who already uses the service. Thanks!

/edit Wrong!  :laugh: I would be charged 0.03$ per GB deleted because the files did not stay in storage for at least 3 months. There's so many collateral-fees. You really have to be careful with what you do.

+BudMan

yeah you can not upload files and then just delete them..  That is not really the purpose of glacier - from my point of view its archive storage.  Stuff you send up there prob going to sit forever sort of thing.  If you want to continuously edit what is stored there then glacier not a good fit.

But its very cost effective as a archive backup system for your most critical files.  I use it as a leg in my backup/dr plan - its not the only thing I would suggest someone use.  You should have local backups, and if possible another off site backup be it on hdd/optical.  I use glacier as my last resort DR solution..  Without catastrophic loss of my other copies I can not see a reason to ever even grab the files from glacier except for testing that they are still good sort of thing.  Which should prob be done on some sort of schedule.  Even if you just pick a sample of them as your test sample.  Which would make sure you stay under your transfer limits, etc.  If those are all good then your backup is prob safe - if those files are corrupt or have issues with downloading them, etc..  Then need to figure out why before you consider it a valid backup at all, etc.

Its never a problem if 1 leg of your backup fails as long as you have multiple legs.  Optical is not good forever - unless your using mdisc, which I highly recommend as well.  1000 years should be good enough for my grandkids first bday video ;)  One of the biggest challenges I see in long term storage of video/pictures is that at some point those formats will no longer be viable..  This should be many many years down the road but in the big picture where your grandkids kids are going to be able to view these videos/pictures your prob going to want to convert them to newer formats as they become the new standard, etc. 

xplatinum

I reconsidered Glacier because I am not editing the actual RAW files (photography). All modifications are stored in my Lightroom catalog. As for deleting files, if hypothetically I would go through my library and delete some pictures I never no longer want, it would pose an issue when time comes to compare/sync. It would become a real PITA to figure out whats been there for more than 3 months and what has not.

I am currently doing local backups with Robocopy using the mirror function. I love that thing to death. It's so powerful. Every time I see someone asking about local backups software recommendations I tell them to use Robocopy. Either run a batch manually or use task scheduler and you're all set.

I was looking for another solution to ease my mind a little more. Might be expensive to recover the files from Glacier but what's 200$ when your heart is pumping like crazy because you just lost everything. It's very cheap when compared with losing it all and the crushing feeling that comes with it :)

/edit what I really wanted is something that's set and go with minimal user intervention. I really liked Glacier's pricepoint along with the explorer-like clients (CloudBerry, FastGlacier and Arq).

+BudMan

with the cloudberry backup desktop version you can set it and forget it.  As to stuff to delete.. You could just use the date of your original file to figure out how long its been in glacier I would image.  If its 6 months old you should be good to go for example if you do a backup to glacier say every day or week, etc.

Maybe I am not understanding how you work with these files or what they are of.. If the file is critical to be backed up or archived why would you ever want to delete it.  Unless they were project related and the project is over and owner of the files have been given their files to do with what they want, etc.

I use glacier for my home videos and picture - I can not think of when any of those would ever be deleted or not archived for prosperity be it I don't really care for the photo/video or not.  If I thought it should be archived in the first place.