Looking for a cloud backup solution

Go to solution Solved by DeusProto,

Question

xplatinum

I'm looking for a cloud-based solution to backup all my data offsite (around 150GB of RAW photos).

Most reviews crown CrashPlan as the go-to solution but from what I've read it's throttled at around 300KB/s... which is way too slow for me.

What are your experiences with the service and does anyone have a better solution to offer?

xplatinum

I import all the pictures from an SD card. It goes into an SSD just for that with a date-based folder structure. I usually do a first pass upon importing to delete the ones I know for sure I'm not keeping. I also need to tag them with keywords. But I don't always have the time to do it. Other times I just don't feel like it so they sit in a import folder. Sometime I'm running low on space on my SSD so I do another pass to see if there are any pictures that are below average that I would not mind deleting. At 10 MB a pop it goes pretty fast.

So yeah. I don't edit the files but I do move them around. Not often but I cannot predict when I will. The solution would need to be automated. So a sync holding deleted files will bite me hard because I cannot tell the software to not touch files deleted less than 3 months ago. It does not keep track of what happened and when to figure out when its OK to remove the files.

I just don't think Glacier is the optimal solution for me even though I would like it to be.

+BudMan

yeah I don't think so either...  You seem to mess with the files too much, and also seem to have local space issues.

I have my storage server where I put the videos and pictures that I am keeping so that can watch them on TV, etc.  This is auto backed up to a different disk on a different server, and then also copied over to my desktop ever night.  These are then backed up to glacier once a week and also current crashplan.

Every month or so - or when I get enough files to fill up another dvd or bluray I do a manual burn to optical making 2 copies where 1 copy stays on my shelf and another I give to my son to keep at his house.

Without how you manipulate the files and such and wanting automation I would think crashplan more what your after.