[Question] My sons laptop has the Can not connect to proxy bug

Question

(Spork)

yea my son new laptop did the windows update and now has the 

can not connect to proxy etc etc i have searched  youtube google tried all the fixes nothing seems to help the lap top is virus free and malware free .. I'm stumped

please  help all he wants to do is play all he wants to do is play his games 

16 answers to this question

xendrome

yea my son new laptop did the windows update and now has the 

can not connect to proxy etc etc i have searched  youtube google tried all the fixes nothing seems to help the lap top is virus free and malware free .. I'm stumped

please  help all he wants to do is play all he wants to do is play his games 

Go into Internet Explorer, goto Settings, Internet options, Connect Tab, LAN settings button and uncheck 'Use Proxy Server'

+John Teacake

What version of Windows? What browser? Try a different browser. Any error messages that you can give us?

Do you know about the ipconfig or ping tools. Could you use them and output them here.

(Spork)

Go into Internet Explorer, goto Settings, Internet options, Connect Tab, LAN settings button and uncheck 'Use Proxy Serv

Go into Internet Explorer, goto Settings, Internet options, Connect Tab, LAN settings button and uncheck 'Use Proxy Server'

like i said i tried that works for a few mins then reverts back 

What version of Windows? What browser? Try a different browser. Any error messages that you can give us?

Do you know about the ipconfig or ping tools. Could you use them and output them here.

8.1 chrome firefox and explorer 

unable to connect to proxy server 

all other PC/laptops are able to connect fine 

DKAngel

done a virus or malware scan lately?

• Like 1
firey

So you have a proxy server you want to connect to but it's not working? Or?

DKAngel

Go to search. Type msconfig. Click. Click on boot tab. Check on safe mode. Restart. When restarted, click on settings. Click on advance settings. Go to change proxy. Then LAN. Erase check mark. Apply. Okay. Back to search. Type msconfig. Restart.

HawkMan

done a virus or malware scan lately?

I'm going to say this is the most likely solution. 

• Like 1
daorbed9

I'm going to say this is the most likely solution. 

Correct.  There is something running in the background that is making sure that setting stays set.

(Spork)

Yea just ran another Virus /Malware scan it's clean

No not wanting to connect to a proxy

DKangel I'll try that once I get back home

+Dick Montage
My sons laptop has the Can not connect to proxy bug

Is this a common bug that people talk about?

• Like 1
firey

Have you checked his hosts file? You have verified in the registry no proxy was set?

(Spork)

No I haven't but I will check once I'm home

+BudMan

if your not wanting to connect to a proxy then this really points to a infection if you ask me..  A good test of the hardware and your network connection is to boot the machine from a live CD and see if you run into the same sort of issue.  If that all works then that really points to a problem with the OS your natively running.

• Like 1
deni88

Playing requires more faster connection. Rebooting may be helpful, I think.

T3X4S

Yea just ran another Virus /Malware scan it's clean

No not wanting to connect to a proxy

DKangel I'll try that once I get back home

OK - I have to ask... which software did you use to check and see if its "clean" ?  

If it was your AV solution - that may not work - (its job is to keep crap out - many arent good and after the fact stuff)

What AV, if any, do you have ?

I hope its not AVG or McAfee or whatever crap solution they put on new pcs these days

Get malwarebytes, update it & run it

Or simply rt. click on the taskbar, select Task Manager, click on the startup tab, and post it in here via Snipping Tool screen shot - we can tell you what to deselect.

(ccleaner & whatinstartup) can both pull up this list and you can deselect all the unnecessaries - probably a great thing to do since it is a new pc and has 10,000 things running it doesnt need and is only hurting performance (bloatware)

THEN, after you get it 100% clean, put a good AV on there - (eset or webroot's Secure Anywhere)

(Spork)

OK - I have to ask... which software did you use to check and see if its "clean" ?  

If it was your AV solution - that may not work - (its job is to keep crap out - many arent good and after the fact stuff)

What AV, if any, do you have ?

I hope its not AVG or McAfee or whatever crap solution they put on new pcs these days

Get malwarebytes, update it & run it

Or simply rt. click on the taskbar, select Task Manager, click on the startup tab, and post it in here via Snipping Tool screen shot - we can tell you what to deselect.

(ccleaner & whatinstartup) can both pull up this list and you can deselect all the unnecessaries - probably a great thing to do since it is a new pc and has 10,000 things running it doesnt need and is only hurting performance (bloatware)

THEN, after you get it 100% clean, put a good AV on there - (eset or webroot's Secure Anywhere)

used malwarebytes :) 

and i said to heck with it and just did a format and now its fine !  

• Like 1