Philips' Hue lights sync up with an Xbox One game

Philips' Hue lights sync up with an Xbox One game
by Jon Fingas

philips-hue-chariot-xbox-one.jpg

You can get Philips' Hue lights to change color when you're watching movies, so it only makes sense that they should also put on a show when you're playing games, right? Frima certainly thinks so. The studio has just added Hue syncing to its Xbox One platformer Chariot, adding an extra level of atmosphere to your adventures. When enemies attack, your bulbs will turn red; when you wander by blooming plants, the living room might go green. This isn't the first time that we've seen Hue gaming experiences, and it's definitely not a cheap trick when a starter Hue kit typically costs $200. However, this is probably the easiest way to ramp up the atmospheric effects while you play. Here's hoping that more games experiment with lighting in the future.

Source: Engadget

Kind of cool. But don't you generally want the room to be nice and dark when viewing media? People spend a lot of money to buy blinds and stuff to block light out, I don't see the reason to then turn your living room into a Christmas tree.

Way too distracting. Trying to play a game with your room lights flashing wildly or suddenly lighting up the entire room? That's not immersion, that's annoying.

Way too distracting. Trying to play a game with your room lights flashing wildly or suddenly lighting up the entire room? That's not immersion, that's annoying.

They're not really flashing, it's more of an extended version of the philips wall lighting system on their TV's. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it works pretty well, though for movies I prefer to black out the room. 

Neat idea, could see this help set the mood of the room based on the game you're playing.