iPhone wont recognise SIM card - on 2 phones.

I feel like it's been a bad week for me & my phones :( Story short i was replacing my 4S with a 5. The 5 came on Thursday.

I've had my SIM in both phones, working fine.

If it makes a difference i was using a paper clip to open the tray as i had no tray pop key.

So yesterday i start proceedings to jailbreak the new phone, pop out the SIM from my old phone & the new phone will no longer recognise it (hadn't yet jailbroke the phone). Put it back in my old phone which it was only just a minute ago working in & now that phone wont recognise it either.

It doesn't even try to recognise it, no searching or anything just ... NO SIM.

I've tried turning off & on. The new phone has just been restored so it's not that either, i've tried the airplane mode trick. None of that works.

I guess the initial response would be faulty SIM - but literally only a minute previous it had been working perfectly fine in my 4S & had i not taken it out i would put money on that it would still be working perfectly fine now, so any ideas?

I don't have a different SIM to try yet.

I feel like it's been a bad week for me & my phones :( Story short i was replacing my 4S with a 5. The 5 came on Thursday.

If it makes a difference i was using a paper clip to open the tray as i had no tray pop key.

So yesterday i start proceedings to jailbreak the new phone, pop out the SIM from my old phone & the new phone will no longer recognise it (hadn't yet jailbroke the phone). Put it back in my old phone which it was only just a minute ago working in & now that phone wont recognise it either.

I've tried turning off & on. The new phone has just been restored so it's not that either, i've tried the airplane mode trick. None of that works.

I guess the initial response would be faulty SIM - but literally only a minute previous it had been working perfectly fine in my 4S & had i not taken it out i would put money on that it would still be working perfectly fine now, so any ideas?

Helps to know what service provider, are you in the US, Why do you need to swap SIM cards? Why do you NEED to jailbreak your phone? You do realize that jailbreaking your phone leaves it open to exploits, right? With all the exploits being used right now, I'd steer clear of 'em.

TBH i'm not really sure how that is relevant to the question or even helpful in any way.

I'm from the UK & the SIM is o2.

So what you seem to be implying is that if the SIM was a Vodafone one then it perhaps wouldn't happen - it's possibly because it's an o2 SIM? I find that very hard to believe.

I don't NEED to jailbreak. I don't NEED to have an iPhone, i don't NEED to have a mobile phone full stop, neither do many people. We don't NEED to do many things in life, but we do them. Why? Because we choose to.

What does the reason behind me jailbreaking have to do with why the phone isn't recognising the SIM anymore?

I know some will see this as being rude, but i think this guy is intentionally being difficult for no good reason.

I'll be heading off to the phone store some time today. Fingers crossed a new SIM will fix things, but i have a funny feeling about it :(

TBH i'm not really sure how that is relevant to the question or even helpful in any way.

So what you seem to be implying is that if the SIM was a Vodafone one then it perhaps wouldn't happen - it's possibly because it's an o2 SIM? I find that very hard to believe.

I don't NEED to jailbreak. I don't NEED to have an iPhone, i don't NEED to have a mobile phone full stop, neither do many people. We don't NEED to do many things in life, but we do them. Why? Because we choose to.

What does the reason behind me jailbreaking have to do with why the phone isn't recognising the SIM anymore?

I know some will see this as being rude, but i think this guy is intentionally being difficult for no good reason.

I don't think anyone going help if you have that sort of attitude. All he asked was the background that needed as well some advise if you can't provide them then you may have to go somewhere else to find your answers. As for me I don't use iDevices so can't advise you on that.

This is a trick question isn't it ?!

4s and 5 SIM cards differ in size.. so something defo must have happened to it.

Maybe it got bent when you used an adapter for the iphone 5.

I asked because here in the states, with verizon, I don't have to switch sim cards. I get a brand new one. I asked for that information, to see if anything I knew would be of help. Your sim card is most likely damaged, but it's not like a give a flying damn. 

Whatever dude. Good luck.

iPhone 4s takes a microSIM. iPhone 5 takes a NanoSIM. Do you have an adapter? Or are you just sticking it in there and hoping for the best?

No i was sticking it in & hoping for the best & wondering why it never worked.

But since the second line of my first post says - I HAD IT IN BOTH PHONES WORKING FINE then i must've been using an adapter.

Anyway, problem resolved - new SIM.