Got a Wii U, very impressed!

Ever since Mario Kart 8 came out i've been thinking about getting a Wii U, this week I finally purchased one with Mario Kart 8 for

I am very fond of my Wii U.

There are still a couple of games that I haven't got for it yet that I'm looking forward to, and of course Zelda when it finally gets here, but I am still of the opinion that the Wii was a dust gathering, shovelware filled fluke, and they need to stop playing catchup in the specs race.

I'm worried that the rumours are true about their next console. Really not sure what the point of it is at this stage.

I am very fond of my Wii U.

There are still a couple of games that I haven't got for it yet that I'm looking forward to, and of course Zelda when it finally gets here, but I am still of the opinion that the Wii was a dust gathering, shovelware filled fluke, and they need to stop playing catchup in the specs race.

I'm worried that the rumours are true about their next console. Really not sure what the point of it is at this stage.

whats the point?   to have a console with similar or higher specs then ps4 and xbox AND still have all the nintendo games available for it as well as support from developers who currently cannot do wii u due to low specs.

if they pull it off, they might have a hit, because xbox and ps4 will not have a new version for a while now,   so it is a way for nintendo to be ahead of the curve.

i certainly hope they don't screw it up like they did with wii u, where all the good games came so much later after launch.

i they say release new zelda game at the same time on wii u and NX then people with wii u will still be happy and people who don't own wii u will just buy the new console.

but we still don't know what type of thing the NX will be...

whats the point?   to have a console with similar or higher specs then ps4 and xbox AND still have all the nintendo games available for it as well as support from developers who currently cannot do wii u due to low specs.

if they pull it off, they might have a hit, because xbox and ps4 will not have a new version for a while now,   so it is a way for nintendo to be ahead of the curve.

i certainly hope they don't screw it up like they did with wii u, where all the good games came so much later after launch.

i they say release new zelda game at the same time on wii u and NX then people with wii u will still be happy and people who don't own wii u will just buy the new console.

Well even graphics in nintendo games can be improved.

hello new star fox, that looks like a n64 game ;)

yeah, they could do at least a bit better.   gameplay is CORE, but if they can do higher res polygons, then why the hell not?     i mean good graphics do not have to take away from gameplay, but to ADD to it.

I can't tell the difference either.

lol, of course i was exaggerating.    :p   

n64 is 18 years old!!!

but my point is that the new star fox trailer does look increadibly dated.   

(obviously no 18 years old, but still, far from what people are expecting from the current gen)

if this was a wii release, i would understand, wii came out 9 years ago, and the trailer looked fine for that.   but wii u is 3 years old, and it still looks same as 9 year old wii game at best.

big fan of nintendo, but (unless new console changes things) their graphic are really an issue for me, unless it is cartoon mario, where it makes it look perfect, because the style looks correct.

seriously, LOOK at that.

tell me this looks like Dec 2015 game! 

those textures hurt my eyes.

at least in splatoon and mario games (and zelda) they make it work with the style of the game, so it does not look bad....   

here, it looks terrible in game.   like a very old game. where they UPPED the resolution, without any concern for texture quality!

• Like 1

lol, of course i was exaggerating.    :p   

n64 is 18 years old!!!

but my point is that the new star fox trailer does look increadibly dates.   

(obviously no 18 years old, but still, far from what people are expecting from the current gen)

if this was a wii release, i would understand, wii came out 9 years ago, and the trailer looked fine for that.   but wii u is 3 years old, and it still looks same as 9 year old wii game at best.

big fan of nintendo, but (unless new console changes things) their graphic are really an issue for me, unless it is cartoon mario, where it makes it look perfect, because the style looks correct.

The gameplay shown at the Treehouse event at E3 was graphically better than the trailer. Game Explain actually mentioned there is a difference in graphic quality between the version shown in the trailer and the game they had access to play.  From what others are saying as well the game is going in fairly rapid development thanks to Platinum games working on this game and already having a wealth of WiiU experience.

The gameplay shown at the Treehouse event at E3 was graphically better than the trailer. Game Explain actually mentioned there is a difference in graphic quality between the version shown in the trailer and the game they had access to play.  From what others are saying as well the game is going in fairly rapid development thanks to Platinum games working on this game and already having a wealth of WiiU experience.

well i hope, but as i understand this is the official nintendo channel and this is the trailer they chose to show :rolleyes:

together with mario kart, star fox was my absolutely favorite super nintendo game (lets just forget mario for now)  and i was looking forwards to a new quality game from them for a while. 

this trailer made me fell like i was punched in the balls (again, i am exaggerating, but i was quite disappointed.  it does not even look like the screenshot you posted...)

we will see in december.

wii was 5 year old, when wii u came out, wii u is 3 years old.   i expect nintendo to release the NX at christmas 2016 for sure.

I am glad you are enjoying your Wii U! I like mine too and I agree that the investment in controllers can be pretty substantial, although I made the decision upfront not to purchase any hardware like the Wii classic controller that isn't forward compatible because I am not interested in playing many if any Wii games. I picked up a Pro controller and two Wii Remote Plus with nunchuks, and that way two to three people are able to play at once.

seriously, LOOK at that.

tell me this looks like Dec 2015 game! 

those textures hurt my eyes.

at least in splatoon and mario games (and zelda) they make it work with the style of the game, so it does not look bad....   

here, it looks terrible in game.   like a very old game. where they UPPED the resolution, without any concern for texture quality!

It's true that game looks poor, however games like Mario Kart 8 look amazing. It really depends on the developer.

The same can be seen on the Xbox One, games like Forza Horizon 2 look stunning, then you have games like Call of Duty that look average at best in comparison, Call of Duty went for 60fps over graphics though.

I've given up really caring about graphics on consoles, this gen was supposed to be 1080p 60fps, however even the Xbox One and PS4 struggle with this, all 3 consoles look a lot better than the last graphics wise. Obviously the Wii U been significantly less powerful then the Xbox One / PS4 does mean most 3rd party games are not going to make it on the console, however I purchased it for the Nintendo games so am not too bothered about that.

I am glad you are enjoying your Wii U! I like mine too and I agree that the investment in controllers can be pretty substantial, although I made the decision upfront not to purchase any hardware like the Wii classic controller that isn't forward compatible because I am not interested in playing many if any Wii games. I picked up a Pro controller and two Wii Remote Plus with nunchuks, and that way two to three people are able to play at once.

I never owned a Wii so all I had was 4x GameCube controllers.

Importing from Japan seems to be the cheapest way of getting Wii U Pro Controllers, plus i can get them in white to match my Wii U. In Europe it appears we can only purchase black Pro controllers now. Nippon-Yassen has them for around

The rumour is that it will be less powerful than the XBO, so I fear the masses are not going to flock to it, unless it has some sort of awesome USP, but that game plan hasn't really worked out great for the Wii U, has it?

No users -> no devs -> no games -> ? -> no profit

I also think it's too soon. Why not wait and really compete with the next, next gen?

But the truth is we really don't know what they will come up with next.

What I would really like to see is some sort of technological breakthrough, leading to super cheap/fast storage, with 0 installs/loading times. You know, like a console should be (at least in my mind).

A pipe-dream, I know.

Anyways, slightly more on topic, I'm currently loving Yoshi's Woolly World. Not an out an out classic, and pretty sure I'll never recognise any of the music is years to come (the only thing I really dislike about this game), but it's great having some two player action with the gf other than hide the sausage.

• 4 months later...

congrats, I've had mine since 2013. honestly, I don't get why people say bad stuff about it. It works fine for me.

congrats, I've had mine since 2013. honestly, I don't get why people say bad stuff about it. It works fine for me.

nvm 2012

Im sure every 12 year old is jealous.

XD lol.