AMD GPU issues on Windows 10

I have a dual GPU laptop, with a power saving GPU, integrated, from Intel and and a "high performance" GPU by AMD. Now, I just noticed this, but despite my settings in AMD's Catalyst Control Center, no application was running on the "high performance" GPU. To try to fix this, I decided to uninstall both drivers completely, starting with Intel then AMD, the opposite of what I usually do. Then, I installed AMD first then Intel, again the opposite of what I do usually.

This seems to have fixed the issue where no app is running on the AMD card, but created a new one. Whenever I open or close an application that is set to run on the AMD GPU, the computer freezes for a few seconds, and only then moves on. Using the application feels normal and fine, except when opening and closing them. 

Another issue is Windows 8 apps (I tried Asphalt 8, specifically) can't run in full screen using the AMD GPU. When I click the full screen button, said app crashes.

For reference, my GPUs are:
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Intel core i3-2330M)
AMD Radeon 6470M (now referred to by Windows as AMD Radeon 7400M Series)

Please help.

If I recall correctly, one of them didn't even install (thanks HP!). I doubt that's changed in Windows 10.

You are not using my Application Unlock are you?

I have been working on getting XAML apps to be accelerated by AMD.. unfortunately I haven't upped a new version yet.

llIf I recall correctly, one of them didn't even install (thanks HP!). I doubt that's changed in Windows 10.

generally with laptops, you want to use the OEM provided drivers, specifically for graphics cards (i think both AMD and nVidia will pop up with a notification saying this if it detects a mobile card). I would check the model on HP's website and see if they have new, updated, drivers for your graphics card.

generally with laptops, you want to use the OEM provided drivers, specifically for graphics cards (i think both AMD and nVidia will pop up with a notification saying this if it detects a mobile card). I would check the model on HP's website and see if they have new, updated, drivers for your graphics card.

Won't work.

This is a PXAI device (AMD + Intel switchable which was part of the fixed switching generation).

Fixed switching doesn't exist since past Catalyst 14.4.

Windows 10 will not install fixed switching drivers. I.e. OEM drivers.

You are not using my Application Unlock are you?

I have been working on getting XAML apps to be accelerated by AMD.. unfortunately I haven't upped a new version yet.

No, I'm using the latest WU drivers now. I installed the latest ones from Intel and AMD, but both apparently had newer versions on Windows Update.

Hm, I guess I can check.

I also do not recommend using WU for driver updates, more specifically graphics card driver updates. Intel stuff i guess it is ok to use, but for nvidia and ati/amd the best option is their website or if using a laptop, the laptop mfg's website. good luck.

No, I'm using the latest WU drivers now. I installed the latest ones from Intel and AMD, but both apparently had newer versions on Windows Update.

Hm, I guess I can check.

I have unlocked all applications for the latest Catalyst WU drivers but haven't had the time to package up a new UnifL Catalyst driver. (maybe within the week)

If you are interested I can throw this your way.

The speed improvements for some of the XAML apps alone make Win 10 much snappier on PXAI devices.

unlocked applications.png

I have a 7400m.  I haven't tested many games on it yet, but I have a question.  How are your boot times on windows 10?  I had to change a setting in the registry to get the thing to not freeze for a minute before the login screen.

I have a 7400m.  I haven't tested many games on it yet, but I have a question.  How are your boot times on windows 10?  I had to change a setting in the registry to get the thing to not freeze for a minute before the login screen.

It is not the best : /. I suspect EnableULPS has to be set to 0 on this just like with every version but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Am still trying to play with XAML acceleration.

AMD purposefully blocking XAML from being accelerated is a sin and they deserve a special type of hell for it.

Windows 10 is pretty much XAML only .. how do they expect people with Intel HD first gens and Intel HD 2nd gens to run it properly with their buggy drivers.

I suppose i could try, if you don't mind sending it to me.

PM for Application Unlock

Well, I installed the drivers freshly from WU, and now sadly I don't get all the PowerPlay options, only the general settings. Must be a stupid version of CCC. I'm also back to no apps running on the AMD GPU.

On an unrelated note, Neowin now logs me in with my real name from my MS account. I used to be indospot, lol.

Well, I installed the drivers freshly from WU, and now sadly I don't get all the PowerPlay options, only the general settings. Must be a stupid version of CCC. I'm also back to no apps running on the AMD GPU.

On an unrelated note, Neowin now logs me in with my real name from my MS account. I used to be indospot, lol.

We all knew that you are a shapeshifter Indo ; ) !!

The Powerplay options should come back after a restart. Same thing happened to me on my PXAI machine.

I threw that Application Unlock onto the WU version and set MSEdgeCP to HighPerformance .. leaving MSEdge on PowerSaver. ... Instant boost in FPS and stability.

I played with setting the Store and Groove to AMD with mixed results. The Store seemed to improve but I am not a 100% certain. This could be a placebo effect so we will need to wait for others to confirm.

Get your account back Indospot!

There's a long thread at Windows Insider forum about W10 and the 1st Gen Intel + AMD 5xxx here. Basically, there are three big issues, which are the reasons why I am staying with Windows 8.1 and Catalyst 14.4 for now.

1. The AMD GPU doesn't completely turn off. Even when the laptop is on battery and just idling on desktop with no apps open, the battery lasts according to the meter only 3-4 hours, while on Windows 8.1 I get 6-8 hours of light web browsing when using the Intel GPU.

2. Many games just blackscreen and refuse to use the AMD GPU. As said earlier, teh AMD GPU can't be selected in XAML apps and some other GPU accelerated programz such as MPC-HC and Adobe Premiere. 

3. HDMI doesn't work at all.

All these issue occur on all 1st Gen Intel + AMD HD 5xxx laptops regardless OEM or model. The issue seems to be that the Windows 10 drivers use dynamic switching, whereas before we could choose if the Intel ot AMD is used, and the other would get automaticallly disabled. 

I have unlocked all applications for the latest Catalyst WU drivers but haven't had the time to package up a new UnifL Catalyst driver. (maybe within the week)

If you are interested I can throw this your way.

The speed improvements for some of the XAML apps alone make Win 10 much snappier on PXAI devices.

unlocked applications.png

Since you say you worked with the drivers for windows 10.... I have a slight problem .. AMD says they should support my device -- AMD HD7310  (wrestler) however when I install I get mondo error..

would you happen to know how to slip them into the latest driver.... DEVICE ID 9809 Vendor ID 1002 Subsystem ID 0592 Subsystem Vendor id 1025

They were supported in 15.5 but in the latest the whole wrestler lines are gone.. I have submitted a report on it but have not gotten a response.. and now hardware acceleration is gone....  

and trying to get a GATEWAY driver is like trying to pull teeth.. they say contact AMD but we fully support WINDOWS 10

But how? D:

D: You must be using a different account with this site. Maybe you logged on via the facebook signin option.

There's a long thread at Windows Insider forum about W10 and the 1st Gen Intel + AMD 5xxx here. Basically, there are three big issues, which are the reasons why I am staying with Windows 8.1 and Catalyst 14.4 for now.

1. The AMD GPU doesn't completely turn off. Even when the laptop is on battery and just idling on desktop with no apps open, the battery lasts according to the meter only 3-4 hours, while on Windows 8.1 I get 6-8 hours of light web browsing when using the Intel GPU.

2. Many games just blackscreen and refuse to use the AMD GPU. As said earlier, teh AMD GPU can't be selected in XAML apps and some other GPU accelerated programz such as MPC-HC and Adobe Premiere. 

3. HDMI doesn't work at all.

All these issue occur on all 1st Gen Intel + AMD HD 5xxx laptops regardless OEM or model. The issue seems to be that the Windows 10 drivers use dynamic switching, whereas before we could choose if the Intel ot AMD is used, and the other would get automaticallly disabled. 

Dalby and me started this campaign on leshcatlabs.net to force AMD into fixing the bootloop that occurred since Windows 8.1 on these devices. (the one you linked ;)

The issues you mention are all mainly correct.

We have had a fix for working HDMI internally on UnifL for quite some time. Unfortunately with the new drivers there is a sort of lag on 1st Gen Intel + AMD 5xxx PXAI devices:

"I have however observed that with the "Extend" function there is no lag, while there is with "Duplicate" and "Second screen only" 

XAML and the Application Lock can be overcome by the unlock that I apply to the UnifL driver packages.

I personally have my MPC-HC running on AMD. Check this thread: http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=708

The battery life and blackscreen (passthrough routing) can be fixed if AMD gets their act together.

We will be forcing a "2nd Wave" campaign within the next 2 weeks to raise awareness on this issue.

Since you say you worked with the drivers for windows 10.... I have a slight problem .. AMD says they should support my device -- AMD HD7310  (wrestler) however when I install I get mondo error..

The WU drivers won't work for you? This is a PXAA device correct? APU AMD + AMD switchable?

Edited by FunkyMike

ASUS Notebook + AMD 6470M here. Probably also has the dual Intel part thing (didn't even know it was dual!). Strange thing is, the WU drivers seem to actually work, but unless I connect an external monitor, my backlight won't function. I had no issues with the stock/default drivers, although with stretched dimensions (1366->1024x768).

Any options? Should I try alternative drivers like Leshcat? Really want to get it to work otherwise I'd be forced to revert to Windows 7 for the time being.

ASUS Notebook + AMD 6470M here. Probably also has the dual Intel part thing (didn't even know it was dual!). Strange thing is, the WU drivers seem to actually work, but unless I connect an external monitor, my backlight won't function. I had no issues with the stock/default drivers, although with stretched dimensions (1366->1024x768).

Any options? Should I try alternative drivers like Leshcat? Really want to get it to work otherwise I'd be forced to revert to Windows 7 for the time being.

Did you install the latest drivers from support.intel.com?(You probably need to make some changes to the .inf file if the driver fails to install on win 10).

Feel free to try leshcat by the way, leshcat is just some drivers bundled with modified setup files so it installs probably so it's the same as modifying .inf files yourself.

Am not sure if I understood the issue at hand.

You are currently on Windows 10 (upgrade from 7)

You have an

Intel HD 3000? + 6470M PXAI device.

The drivers work but your internal laptop monitor will not show an image unless you plug in an external monitor. In that case the internal and external both display the same picture?

You tried the stock Asus drivers on Windows 10 and they worked?

Seahorsepip already mentioned that the UnifL drivers we provide make most of the changes to the dwords in the inf files in both the Intel and AMD driver. 

They might help but if you give me more info .. then I might be able to look into it.

Am not sure if I understood the issue at hand.

You are currently on Windows 10 (upgrade from 7)

You have an

Intel HD 3000? + 6470M PXAI device.

The drivers work but your internal laptop monitor will not show an image unless you plug in an external monitor. In that case the internal and external both display the same picture?

You tried the stock Asus drivers on Windows 10 and they worked?

Seahorsepip already mentioned that the UnifL drivers we provide make most of the changes to the dwords in the inf files in both the Intel and AMD driver. 

They might help but if you give me more info .. then I might be able to look into it.

Looked up the specs (X54HY), lists Intel HD 3000. Used the auto-detect tool on the AMD website but installs the HD 7400 drivers instead. The backlight doesn't come on / shuts off after the bootscreen. Low-reso mode doesnt work either, only works with the default "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" in use and in safe mode.
If i plug in VGA, the screen stays dark on my notebook but does show everything (both mirrored and extended).

No W10 drivers are available, only W7 drivers.. Tried installing them but W10 refuses to install them and complains the drivers aren't compatible.

I also just tried installing Intel drivers but their fancy "Intel® Driver Update Utility" doesn't show any software to install.

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_20021043&REV_00

Looked up the specs (X54HY), lists Intel HD 3000. Used the auto-detect tool on the AMD website but installs the HD 7400 drivers instead. The backlight doesn't come on / shuts off after the bootscreen. Low-reso mode doesnt work either, only works with the default "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" in use and in safe mode.If i plug in VGA, the screen stays dark on my notebook but does show everything (both mirrored and extended).

No W10 drivers are available, only W7 drivers.. Tried installing them but W10 refuses to install them and complains the drivers aren't compatible.

I also just tried installing Intel drivers but their fancy "Intel® Driver Update Utility" doesn't show any software to install.

FIrst rule is to never ever install via the auto tools....they are utter junk ; )

The 7400 is a rebrand of your card. The name is not important and does not have any negative impact on the functional.

So Windows Update does not load any drivers at all for your AMD card? .. very hard to believe.

Have you tried cleaning with DDU in safe mode and then seeing if Window will autoupdate the AMD drivers: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15 ?

Intel should autoupdate to 4229 I believe.

So Windows Update does not load any drivers at all for your AMD card? 

I just meant that ASUS has no W10 drivers available, only W7 drivers. As usual.

Have you tried cleaning with DDU in safe mode and then seeing if Window will autoupdate the AMD drivers: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15 ?

Intel should autoupdate to 4229 I believe.

Downloaded DDU, ran it for both Intel and AMD/ATI and restarted. I let Windows Update install the available 7400M driver. As I expected, the backlight shut off during install and didn't come back after a restart, so I'm stuck with the default driver again.