¿How I can do this? ---Windows 10 activation key--

Vladimir Diderot

Hi everybody!

I upgrade Windows 8.1 Home Edition to Windows 10. Now I want to download Windows 10 in order to have the media (USB/DVD) to perform a clean install (if necesseraly) whenever I want to

Since I can´t see the any key activation serial in Windows 10, I wonder:

¿Can I use my Windows 8.1 Key activation serial y order to activate Windows 10 after a clean install?

¿Do I need a new key activation serial for Windows 10 in order to perform a clean install of my system after the upgrade from 8.1? If so ¿Where I can grab [legally] the new Windows 10 serial?

Note: I repeat, I did an upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 8.1 Home Edition. My Windows 10 is activated. My main PC is a Desktop PC for work/home

Riggers

You should be just fine with clean installing Windows 10 now at any point in the future as long as it`s on the same hardware. Your key is now tied to your Microsoft account with all the details of your specific hardware. If you do install fresh you can just skip the insert key part and once up and running so long as you use the same account you will become activated in due time.

If it doesn`t activate straight away you can try slmgr.vbs /ato from a cmd prompt. Also you will have to create the install media by using the windows 10 installer and choosing the "create installation media for another pc" option then choose the flavour (i,e Home 64 Bit).

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 2004 becomes the second most-used version
      by João Carrasqueira

AdDuplex has released its latest report going over the usage distribution for the various different versions of Windows 10, now with data for the month of September. As usual, the data is based on the over 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that use the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher, and it was collected on September 28.

This month, the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, or version 2004, grew very significantly, increasing its usage share by almost 10% from 24.1% to 33.7%. This makes it the second most-used Windows 10 version, having surpassed the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903), which saw a corresponding massive drop from 33.5% to 25.7% in usage share. In fact, every version of Windows aside from the May 2020 Update saw a drop. The November 2019 Update (version 1909), which became the most used version just last month, dropped from 35.5% to 34.5%, just barely holding on to its lead. It's highly likely the May 2020 Update will have surpassed it by next month.

Older versions saw smaller drops, with the October 2018 Update (version 1809) falling from 2.4% to 1.9%, and the April 2018 Update (version 1803) seeing a decrease from 2.1% to 1.9%. The Fall Creators Update (version 1709) held on to its 0.7% usage share, while older versions now account for 1% of users, instead of 1.1%. The number of users running Insider builds grew from 0.5% to 0.7%, possibly propelled by the release of the October 2020 Update to the Release Preview channel earlier in the month.

Adoption for the Windows 10 May 2020 Update began ramping up last month, and you can see that the May 2019 usage has been shrinking quickly. That update is nearing the end of support, as it will end on December 8, so those users are likely being upgraded automatically by now.

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo refreshes its ThinkBooks with 11th-gen processors, its first convertible, and more
      by Rich Woods

ThinkBook 14s Yoga Today, Lenovo announced a refresh of its ThinkBook lineup, along with some new products. They're getting Intel's new 11th-generation 'Tiger Lake' processors, and that means that they come with Iris Xe Graphics, Thunderbolt 4, faster memory, and more.

ThinkBook 13s One of the products being revved today is the ThinkBook 13s Gen 2. It now has a 13.3-inch 16:10 screen, so it's a bit taller.

ThinkBook 14s Yoga The ThinkBook 14s Yoga is brand-new, as it's the first convertible with ThinkBook branding. It has the aluminum chassis that we're used to seeing, and it even comes with a limited edition Abyss Blue color for the "right mix of flair and elegance". It also has a pen garage, a feature that originally debuted on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga, so while the company is trying new things with ThinkBook, it's not afraid to bring over what works.

ThinkBook 15 Speaking of trying new things, that brings us to the ThinkBook 15, and if you thought a pen garage was cool, wait until you see the headphone drawer. Yes, this laptop actually comes with a little pop-out drawer that stores a pair of truly wireless earbuds, and of course, they stay charged while they're stored. This also solves the problem of having to pair your existing earbuds with different devices, such as your phone and your PC.

Most of these PCs have both Intel and AMD variants. The ThinkBook 15 is coming in October, starting at $569 for the Intel model and $549 for the AMD model. The ThinkBook 13s is coming in October, starting at $829 for the Intel model and $729 for the AMD model. Finally, the ThinkBook 14s Yoga only comes with Intel processors, and it's coming in November, starting at $879.

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo details the ThinkPad X1 Fold and opens up pre-orders
      by Rich Woods

Back in May 2019, Lenovo first introduced its plan to make a ThinkPad X1 PC with a foldable display, and it unveiled the device in all its glory at CES. It comes with a 13.3-inch 4:3 2048x1536 OLED display, giving you two 9.6-inch 3:2 displays when it's folded.

There were still a couple of details left out at CES though, mainly because the Intel processors to be used weren't actually announced yet. It's confirmed now that it will use Intel's Lakefield chips, which use the firm's Hybrid technology. That means that it has a big core and four small cores, adopting an architecture that's similar to big.LITTLE on ARM.

The X1 Fold is something that you're really going to want for the foldable screen, because the rest of the specs don't match the price. It comes with 8GB LPDDR4X 4267MHz memory, a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port, a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port, and it weighs in at 999g. It also comes with optional 5G.

But the big news is that while Lenovo still hasn't offered a concrete date of when you'll receive one, you can pre-order starting today. It starts at $2,499, and if you want to check it out, you can find it on Lenovo.com here.

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo announces the ThinkPad X1 Nano, its lightest ThinkPad yet at under two pounds
      by Rich Woods

Today, Lenovo announced the ThinkPad X1 Nano, its latest addition to the premium ThinkPad X1 family. Previously shown in a leaked presentation, the Nano joins the X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga, and X1 Extreme in the lineup. Previously, the calling card of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon was that it's the lightest of the bunch, but now that title falls to the X1 Nano.

This PC weighs in at 1.99 pounds, making it the lightest ThinkPad ever. But that's not all that's new. Lots of parts of the device have been modernized. For example, it has a 16:10 display, rather than the typical 16:9 that you'll find on ThinkPads. It's only 13 inches though, so while the Carbon is nearly a half-pound heavier, it does have a much wider display. That custom screen comes with Dolby Vision HDR and a 2160x1350 resolution, and touch is optional.

Naturally, it comes with Intel's 11th-generation 'Tiger Lake' processors, which come with the company's Iris Xe graphics. That means it comes with Thunderbolt 4 and faster memory as well. And in the connectivity department, the ThinkPad X1 Nano comes with an option for 5G, another first for the ThinkPad series.

In other words, it's the lightest ThinkPad ever, it's the first with Tiger Lake, the first modern ThinkPad with a 16:10 screen, and the first with 5G. That's quite a bit. Not all of it has been modernized though, as it maintains the TrackPoint in the keyboard, something that ThinkPads will probably always have. It's made out of carbon fiber, with the carbon fiber weave lid.

The ThinkPad X1 Nano is coming in the fourth quarter of this year, starting at $1,399.

• By Rich Woods
      Eric Raymond thinks Microsoft is ready to swap out the Windows kernel for Linux
      by Rich Woods

According to a blog post penned by open-source advocate Eric Raymond, Microsoft is finally ready to give up on that old relic it called Windows, which doesn't even generate enough revenue anymore to be more than a "sideshow" at the company. Raymond says that now that Azure makes so much more money than Windows does, the firm is set to replace Windows with Linux, which will run an emulation layer in order to maintain compatibility with legacy apps.

The only problem is that none of that is true. Despite stagnant growth, Windows revenue is still among the most profitable pieces of Microsoft. Azure is set to surpass that someday, but that day is not today. Nevertheless, Raymond thinks that the more that this happens, the less Windows will be as a priority for Microsoft, and eventually, Windows development simply won't make sense.

The speculation that Microsoft cares less about Windows than it once did (it's not even really speculation) isn't new, and it stands to reason that the firm will care even less down the line. But Raymond not only looks at Microsoft's finances as evidence; he looks at clues that are right in front of us. Those clues are, you guessed it, the Windows Subsystem for Linux and Microsoft's Edge browser coming to Linux.

The latter is actually pretty easily explained, since it took such little work to bring Edge to Linux. Edge is based on Chromium now, and so it supports all of the platforms supported by Chromium. What probably should have been more notable is that Microsoft built Edge from Chromium in the first place, rather than continuing to develop its own in-house browser. The story with how Edge was rebuilt is quite similar to what Raymond is saying will happen with Windows.

Windows does ship with a Linux kernel now with the latest Windows Subsystem for Linux, and as noted in the blog post, Microsoft does contribute to Linux in an effort to make WSL better.

All of this adds up to, in Raymond's opinion, Microsoft rebuilding Windows from a Linux kernel, with a Windows emulation layer on top. Developers will be able to compile their apps to run natively if they wish, which is what Microsoft is already doing with Edge.

While he does create a compelling argument for Microsoft wanting to do this, he doesn't account for whether or not Microsoft can do this. The Redmond firm is notoriously bad at getting app developers on board for something that it wants them to do; you can use Windows Phone or Windows on ARM as examples here. It's also not shown that it's great at emulation, with 32-bit emulation not being great on ARM PCs and 64-bit emulation not even here yet.

What do you think? Is the year of desktop Linux finally on the way? Let us know in the comments!