Windows 10 - Can't Understand Homegroup/Sharing at all

This seems to be a big issue with many people voicing their concerns in the community section of the Windows Support site.  I can 'see' the folders that are shared on the network (every machine in the house has Win 10 now) but I cannot access them without a username and password for some reason.  Also, you cannot use the UI to leave a homegroup.  If I go to Homegroup, it only allows me to join one that is there... which happens to be listing my previous PC before I clean-installed Win 10.  ???  I made sure to go into advanced settings where you can change the PC name and workgroup (different from homegroup?) and we are all on the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup.  I also can no longer access any PC using Media Player on my Xbox One now.  If I go into Advanced Sharing, I have network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, and allow Windows to manage homegroup under Private.  Under all networks I have turn on sharing, and under media streaming I have all devices set to Allow, use 128 bit encryption, and turn off password protected sharing.  Deleting windows/serviceprofiles/localservice/appdata/roaming/peernetworking and rebooting does nothing.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on or what I could try?  Like I said, there are many, many threads over there on the Windows site regarding this.

I tend to agree with what you have written. I had several PC's with 8.1 on them and they behaved, in context of the Homegroup and sharing, as I would expect. All was fine.

It seemed fine also when I upgraded my main PC to W10 but then when I did my server (holds all of my media) that is when I started to notice issues as you have described.

I couldn't think why my Amazon Fire TV, running Kodi, could no longer see any of the files previously accessible on the server which had woken up to the magic packet request and yet still the files were showing as unavailable. It took me a while to figure out that there was not a communication issue but one of permissions and access, as such. I had to enter my email address and password into Kodi from the AFTV to allow it access to the server. And yet all the settings for the Homegroup are as identical as I can see to that of W8. Since doing that Kodi and the AFTV now work fine.

I do not understand what or how it has changed considering I do not see any other layer of security or settings different to what I would have expected.

I had issues accessing my FreeNAS box when trying to map drive. I could still see the DLNA plugins and access them but I couldn't find anything apart in the network share folder apart from my PC

Switch to a local account, then into Microsoft account and set password instead of PIN fixed this for me :wacko:

I had a similar issue with any shared spaces on my LAN, I got around it by always stating workgroupname\account and matching pwds on same account on all machines in the workgroup.

Ive kept it the same on release with no issues.

I had a similar issue with any shared spaces on my LAN, I got around it by always stating workgroupname\account and matching pwds on same account on all machines in the workgroup.

Ive kept it the same on release with no issues.

See this is wrong, and what I mean is, I should be able to go to Share:Everyone Read/Write to a folder and not require passwords, like the last 3 operating systems.

Windows 10 increased security by no longer allowing "no password" or "no username" to connect to remote shares by default.  Perhaps that's what's causing your problems?

See here for more information:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/the-account-is-not-authorized-to-login-from-this/5aa0c61d-7e27-41ce-b1cd-1bedbe5c5ead?page=1&tm=1438537160769

And then here for MS's discussion on the topic (lots of upset people):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/error-the-account-is-not-authorized-to-login-from/ffa63cc0-92d0-4639-9e3f-4d50100c1841

This may not be what's causing your trouble at all, but it sounds like what I had to go through to get my NAS shares working again on my non-Homegroup networked PC's.  I figured it was worth sharing.

See this is wrong, and what I mean is, I should be able to go to Share:Everyone Read/Write to a folder and not require passwords, like the last 3 operating systems.

not with W10 mate they've changed it from a security standpoint. My NAS on the back of my Asus router refuses anonymous R/W, pain in butt , but once you get used to it, a sensible solution. I map my share sin explorer as an SMB share, and just tell it to remember my credentials, set it and forget it :)

Windows server hasn't allowed it for a few releases, i think circa S2003 changed it. Think of it like its an authenticated user account ACL.

tbh giving everyone R/W or anonymous R/W is bad security practice buddy (kinda lazy :) ) , just because windows in a workgroup allows it, it doesn't make it a good practise :)

I got it fixed.  I turned off all machines in the entire house, then started one, and it allowed me to create one.  I then changed the password Windows gives you, and then everything else went just fine.  Kind of irritating and most importantly: NOT INTUITIVE.

I got it fixed.  I turned off all machines in the entire house, then started one, and it allowed me to create one.  I then changed the password Windows gives you, and then everything else went just fine.  Kind of irritating and most importantly: NOT INTUITIVE.

i dont use homegroups personally, i like to do it old school SMB shares ftw! :)